Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    ^^^^ meh

im not a vet or an owner of a 2300$ dog. i suppose some wish to protect their investment. I simply have a different relationship with animals. I dont use them to boost my status or ego. I dont think that extreme surgery is for dogs. Glad to have prompted "the hand"
    I know someone that spent $3500 at the vet to save their pet turkey that a possum took a wing off
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

What's funny is the DD is in full meltdown mode, again...

Dude is straight-up Chernobyl
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    What's funny is the DD is in full meltdown mode, again...

Dude is straight-up Chernobyl
    Funny that thats what you think...

your fucking wife paid 2300 for a dog, idiot. you guys ought to be ashamed at the extreme commoditization of dogs that you and your wife are directly responsible for. Not only are you perpetuating puppy milling by supporting the market, you are exposing your vapid and thoughtless lifestyle. Seeking identity and status by way of animal exploitation.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Funny that thats what you think...

your fucking wife paid 2300 for a dog, idiot. you guys ought to be ashamed at the extreme commoditization of dogs that you and your wife are directly responsible for. Not only are you perpetuating puppy milling by supporting the market, you are exposing your vapid and thoughtless lifestyle. Seeking identity and status by way of animal exploitation.

-Scottish Proverb

yuck it up

you and your bride are an abomination, turning a helpless dog into a fetishized commodity
    Zone Controller

-Scottish Proverb

deny it all you want, yuppie dirt

you and your wife have no moral argument - you are status seeking leeches sic
    Zone Controller

Can we get Splat to nuke Digidearth....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

im bulletproof
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    we're more hoping his crowdfunding works and he gets to go skiing for a while...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

DD is clueless on the topic of a mans love for his dog. He fails to understand that for many of us, dogs are our fur kids. I will happily spend my last penny on mine, as the love they share with me and the laughs they give me can only be equaled by a few people in my life. DD move on to other topics or get nuked.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

That's a bummer Dheli. Difficult trying to make the right decision on stuff like this. Maybe check out a couple different Vets for advice.

As far as DD, I hope he is referring to a more complex situation like cancer, etc. I get what he's saying as I was confronted with that decision and we opted out of surgery because we didn't want to put our dog thru the pain and suffering of the surgery when the end result wouldn't really change...and he would have just been confused as to why we did it to him. This situation compared to that is a apples/oranges deal...A knee can be repaired or healed.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    DD is clueless on the topic of a mans love for his dog. He fails to understand that for many of us, dogs are our fur kids. I will happily spend my last penny on mine, as the love they share with me and the laughs they give me can only be equaled by a few people in my life. DD move on to other topics or get nuked.
    That's how I feel about my pooch.

That would be cruel. He'd have nothing to do on his break from the fryer.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I know all about dogs and their reciprocal relationships with human families. The minute you spend 2300$ on a dog, that all goes out the window and you are a shallow status seeker.

subjecting dogs or other animals to the human condition is wrong, flat out.
    Zone Controller

It is a very complex issue with lots of options, some better then others. It is difficult to address all the variables in an internet post. If you PM me digits, I would be happy to talk to you. I don't do the surgery, but send them to the local surgeons. You want somebody who does a lot of them.

Generally speaking surgery is a far better option then letting it heal, which it won't. Once blown an ACL is gone forever. It may get "better" for awhile, but it will get arthritic, and surgery will limit that. Little dogs can get by without surgery, even though most would still benefit from it.

As to which surgery, that depends on the dog and the surgeon. The best option is to go to a surgeon who has done a lot of all the options and let them decide which is best. There are + and - to each, and a lot depends on the dog and its confirmation. One is not better then another, they just address different issues. Just don't have somebody "repair" the ACL. It doesn't work in dogs (they are different then people), the biodynamics of the injury need to be addressed.

If at all possible do to somebody with endoscopy as well. Most surgeons just do the surgery, but miss hidden damage seen by scoping the knee. Addressing the ACL, but missing the meniscus damage does not make for the best final result.

The hardest thing about surgery, aside from paying for it, is committing to keeping the dog quiet post surgery (3-4 months?) and doing the PT. If you aren't/can't do the follow up, it can be a huge waste of money. Also be aware if you have on bad knee, you probably have two, and it is not unusual to blow the other one in 6 months. Ultimately ACL problems in dogs is an anatomy/confirmation issue, not a sports injury (even though he may have blown it running or jumping, it was was just the last straw.)

Hope this Readers Digest version helps some, that and DD is an idiot, but that is common knowledge.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    That would be cruel.
    Just put him to sleep.... no one is going to pick him out at the pound and take him home.

Thanks for all of the advice, we are actively looking for a surgeon. It sounds like a lot of time and money but like others have said, I'd do anything for the pup.

I know all about dogs and their reciprocal relationships with human families. The minute you spend 2300$ on a dog, that all goes out the window and you are a shallow status seeker.

subjecting dogs or other animals to the human condition is wrong, flat out.
    ignoring your hangup with other people's money...what would YOU do with a loved pet that has a repairable knee problem?

let him limp and never run again?
    hold him up every time he has to poop?
    never take him to the park to play again?
    take him out back and shoot him?
    take him back to the pound?

maybe there's some sort of idea in your statement that makes sense to you, but what you're communicating is unintelligible right now
    ("subjecting dogs to the human condition": WTF does this mean?)

i cant believe everyone fails to connect the dots. Other than the 2300$ dog showing us that the owners are in desperate need of attention and status, it also perpetuates animal abuse and puppy milling. Supporting such a market is ethically wrong, and it only leads to mistreatment of dogs.

your mind is tiny if you dont know about the human condition ... im not going to explain it
    Zone Controller

i cant believe everyone fails to connect the dots. Other than the 2300$ dog showing us that the owners are in desperate need of attention and status, it also perpetuates animal abuse and puppy milling. Supporting such a market is ethically wrong, and it only leads to mistreatment of dogs.

your mind is tiny if you dont know about the human condition ... im not going to explain it
    the problem is no one understands what you think that means

no just you

you cant grasp the fact that paying 2300hun for a dog exacerbates puppy milling and creates an environment for animal exploitation?

when perfectly suitable and reasonably priced substitutes exist....yet personal preference (status seeking mainly) supersedes logic and utility

this is an indicator of not only an artificial bubble(via avarice), but also low quality and counterfeit products (milled dogs and shit dogs from amateurs) as well the market being rife with literal and figurative abuses
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice, we are activinely looking for a surgeon. It sounds like a lot of time and money but like others have said, I'd do anything for the pup.
    Where in CA are you looking?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

no just you

you cant grasp the fact that paying 2300hun for a dog exacerbates puppy milling and creates an environment for animal exploitation?

when perfectly suitable and reasonably priced substitutes exist....yet personal preference (status seeking mainly) supersedes logic and utility

this is an indicator of not only an artificial bubble(via avarice), but also low quality and counterfeit products (milled dogs and shit dogs from amateurs) as well the market being rife with literal and figurative abuses

-Scottish Proverb