Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Overloading washer/dryer

How full? Will I break either one or just not clean my threads?
    Front end high efficiency washer.
    Stuffed it a little bit earlier, only a little space at top
    Decisions Decisions

It probably won't hurt the washer but it won't get your clothes clean either. HE front loader washers use far less water than a top load because of that they are not a good choice for people who tend to have really dirty clothes (i.e. mechanics, farmers, landscapers etc. etc.). I've had this issue with some of my work clothes and I had a repairman tell me the same thing.

I always heard that the front loaders work better when stuffed.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I always heard that the front loaders work better when stuffed.
    They spin better (are able to balance themselves better) but they don't clean better based on my experience

front loaders are a scam to sell expensive shit
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. They've been used in Europe long before they became household items here (stacking front loader/dryer - they use them to save space). They def. save energy and water (plus they save dryer time since they remove more water than a top loader) they just aren't great for heavily soiled items which means either you pre-wash or you do small loads both of which defeat the purpose.

Front loaders also make sense if you wash lofted garments, duvets or sleeping bags regularly. The agitator in top loaders can damage the baffles.

They are a lot more gentle than top loaders--your clothes will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Front loaders also make sense if you wash lofted garments, duvets or sleeping bags regularly. The agitator in top loaders can damage the baffles.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    They are a lot more gentle than top loaders--your clothes will last longer.
    They now make top loaders without agitators.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    They now make top loaders without agitators.
    next you're going to tell me they make lofted garments without baffles!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    next you're going to tell me they make lofted garments without baffles!
    and there is a Santa Claus!

Without an agitator, Whirlpool's new top-load washer has tons of capacity -- up to 5.3 cu. ft.

5.3 cu. ft. Cabrio® High-Efficiency Top Load Washer with Active Spray technology

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Agreed, plus once it's filled you can't open it up to rearrange or add that stray sock you missed. I got a Kenmore washer from 1992 top loader that still runs fine, never over stuff it do a few small loads instead of jamming it all into one. It'll prolly blow up today when I do a few loads. Check "Shit that annoys you" thread for updates.
    Silent....but shredly.

it's not overloaded until it's making noise and walking across the floor

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    Agreed, plus once it's filled you can't open it up to rearrange or add that stray sock you missed. I got a Kenmore washer from 1992 top loader that still runs fine, never over stuff it do a few small loads instead of jamming it all into one. It'll prolly blow up today when I do a few loads. Check "Shit that annoys you" thread for updates.
    I can open mine at any point in the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I can open mine at any point in the cycle.
    I did not know that, I thought they locked once water was in there. I still hate front loaders.
    Silent....but shredly.

I did not know that, I thought they locked once water was in there. I still hate front loaders.
    I think it depends on the model. I have a Frigidaire.

I agree that they do have a number of drawbacks the mildew issue being the biggest for me. I solve it by not shutting the door so the gasket can thoroughly dry out. I don't use a liquid fabric softener but I understand that residue and odor can result from that too. I also switched to a lighter, more natural detergent (Biokleen laundry liquid enzymes and citrus extracts) because I found the commercial liquids didn't rinse fully.

Reading reviews online a lot of people also complain about having to bend over and take out heavy wet clothes.

Despite all of the above I stick with the front loader because my laundry room in on the second floor of my house and I like knowing if it leaks it will be less water than if I had a top loader (I do have a tray and drain but even still I'd rather err on the side of caution).

My unlocks whenever I hit the pause button. I think that's pretty standard.

I have one about the same age. I even rebuilt the agitator mechanism one day when my woman overloaded it on heavy wash. The pawls on the gear broke. I was able to get them at the local appliance place. It cost me 2 hours and $12. Better than buying a new front loader.

I have a Samsung front loader that rocks. Running heavy duty stuff was never an issue and regular clothes get clean. Really important to do the scheduled maintenance on them, like draining or whatever required by manufacturer.

KQ I had a Kenmore front loader in my tack room for horse blankets, pads, wraps, etc and it was awesome as well. Since I sold my farm, I just shove all that crap in the Samsung!

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    I have a Samsung front loader that rocks. Running heavy duty stuff was never an issue and regular clothes get clean. Really important to do the scheduled maintenance on them, like draining or whatever required by manufacturer.

KQ I had a Kenmore front loader in my tack room for horse blankets, pads, wraps, etc and it was awesome as well. Since I sold my farm, I just shove all that crap in the Samsung!
    Crickey - that horse in your avatar could be my Tbred standing in my barn aisle. Looks like the same cross ties even.

I do wash my own pads after a thorough vacuum but use a service for my blankets. All mine wear 84s - that's a big blanket and more than I care to stuff in my washer.

Photo from my barn in SC of my sweet TB boy, Ready, RIP (at 10, Ringbone). He wore the tiny 76" stuff but I have a collection of 82"-84" for my boy Cody (Andalusian/QH). Vacuumed pads before washing, way pro!

We had a local "washeteria" that let you wash horse blankets, conveniently located next to the best Mexican food in town. I have an old agitator at my rental and it sucks ass compared to front loaders (upgrade in spring). Front loaders make the drying process way better assuming you have a decent dryer. I've bought way too many appliances. (and horses)

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    Photo from my barn in SC of my sweet TB boy, Ready, RIP (at 10, Ringbone). He wore the tiny 76" stuff but I have a collection of 82"-84" for my boy Cody (Andalusian/QH). Vacuumed pads before washing, way pro!

We had a local "washeteria" that let you wash horse blankets, conveniently located next to the best Mexican food in town. I have an old agitator at my rental and it sucks ass compared to front loaders (upgrade in spring). Front loaders make the drying process way better assuming you have a decent dryer. I've bought way too many appliances. (and horses)

Awwww poor Ready. Tbreds are my loves (Grandfather raised them for living). I have one of these - soooooooo wonderful:

Nice!!

I appear to have wandered into the horse thread by mistake.

Washer talk didn't last furlong.