Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Outback All Around Tire

It's getting close to time for the winter tires to come off and I need a new set of summer tires for the Outback.

Most miles are commuting. I wouldn't mind halfway decent shoulder season snow performance, but it's not critical. I need to keep the price down as well.

Any thoughts on tires you hate/love?

I checked this thread which seems to have a good run down:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ighlight=tires
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

After reading reviews and looking at prices last summer, I went to Discount Tire and got the house brand Arizonian Silver Edition touring tire. They are mad by Cooper Tire in the US. They are pretty quiet and I use them as all seasons and they have been fine driving to the hill in some pretty dicey conditions this season. Same quality but much less expensive than Cooper or Goodyear. 1999 Outback.

I was just looking at those. How do they handle wet conditions? I'm on the westside of the Cascades.

Conti DWS is one of the best all around performers out there, only question would be how well it suits your budget.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred were excellent for 30k miles, then got progressively worse traction and noise until I recently replaced them at 45k. I'm on Michelin Premiers now. They seem to be good so far, but durability and snow performance (none here, how sad!) remains to be seen.

Edit: these are all-seasons with a trend toward snow/wet performance. For dedicated summer tires, just get whatever rubber is cheapest. It's an outback, not a 911.

I have a set of the cooper cs5 touring.. They are a pretty bomber tire, drove from anchorage to prudhoe bay last fall, roads weren't great, they handled wet slop pretty well no problems on the dry. Downsides are they are kind of loud and they like most cooper tires they are heavier then other manufacturers offerings. I would recommend them, the set i have has around 20k on them and they look great still even with lots of miles on rough dirt roads

Outback All Around Tire

2nd on conti dws at tire rack

Had them on an AWD sedan and they were great in rain, dry and even snow

Very quiet and handled good

Not bad on budget either
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Mastercraft Strategy

Seriously. I thought that they were going to be pieces of shit. They are awesome!

2005 Outback 2.5i owner
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Goodyear isn't making the TripleTred anymore, it's replacement is in the Tire Rack reviews section. (well worth checking)
    We sure had good luck with them.
    Current replacement for us is the Conti "Pure Contact" in stock factory sizing.
    They have worked really well on the damp streets of the Sierras this winter...
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

The TripleTred was the best all around tire I ever had. ripped in snow better than some winters I had.

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    I was just looking at those. How do they handle wet conditions? I'm on the westside of the Cascades.
    Well normally I would say I don't know, but this fall and winter we have been blessed with some great warm rain and lots of wet roads and they are great. They are an excellent value. I've had them on rough FS roads, ice, packed snow, packed snow and ice, standing water over Steven's pass and here. M+S rated, not that that really means much. If it were so bad that I wouldn't want to drive with these tires I probably wouldn't go. I would buy them again. Very similar to the Cooper CS5, made in the same factory.

Something that can help fix a blown head gasket? Ha

DWS or something Michelin. "Cheapest option out there" is bad advice unless you really can't afford to spend a bit more for quality tires.

A lot of large tire retailers have house brand tires that are every bit as good and made in the same factories as "premium" tires, the only difference is the cost, they are less expensive.

Cooper makes excellent tires, every bit as good as Goodyear or Michelin, etc. The tire I recommended is made by Cooper and is almost indistinguishable from the Cooper CS5. Of course you can spend more so you can talk about your "quality" tires.

Conti DWS…if you hold out for the deals/rebates you can usually get them for an alright price…I think I price matched for $450 mounted and balance at my local shop. Also have a great mileage warranty. Great tire

Thanks for the advice here.

I think the last set were Mastercraft. How do the DWS do on gas mileage?

I have the 17 inch rim on my outback, so every option is over 600 except for AaronWrights.

Check out the general performance touring too, forgot its name. < $100 for my 16s.

Honestly I have been running nothing but X-ice year round for the last 39k miles. Still looking good and performing good on snow.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Honestly I have been running nothing but X-ice year round for the last 39k miles. Still looking good and performing good on snow.
    This is really what I wanted to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    This is really what I wanted to hear.
    You're in Oregon? You'll be better off with a good all season. Anecdotal evidence of running a winter compound tire and getting good wear is silly. Especially if you're going to put most miles on the tires commuting.

Continental Extreme Contact are working for me. Plus the name sounds like a Montreal strip bar.

Adidas Rod Lavers. Your Outback will be super happy!
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I ran some Big O general tires on mine that were Michelin seconds. Great tires for getting place to place but crap for traction, breaking, and noise. My 2015 has Bridgestone and they are good but I'd rather have something with more road traction
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Put general altimax rt43 tires on my wife's 98 outback at the beginning of the winter. They are solid so far. Can't get the car to lose traction in most conditions when trying. Less than $300 shipped from tirebuyer. Would buy again no question.

Outback All Around Tire

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Continental Extreme Contact are working for me. Plus the name sounds like a Montreal strip bar.
    Continental Gold Card gets you a free upgrade to the champagne rims.

Using the new Blizzak WS-80's and love them, but not all season.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 02-11-2015 at 01:12 PM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I use Michelin Xices as year round tire. Get two ski seasons and one summer out of them then sell them for $100 as lots of tread left but the snow traction and, most importantly, the ice traction are degraded after 40,000 miles.

Ice is the real decider as All-seasons won't help on the ice. I'd be driving around All Season AWD'ers in my Prius (just traded it for a 2015 Subaru Legacy). They'd be spinning all four wheels on the ice, sliding into the snowbanks and I'd be scooting along on my grippy Xices.

If you are driving in fresh snow, the All Seasons will work but once it compresses to ice, you need the new high tech snows like Xice or Blizzaks.