Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I got a bose sound link for xmas and I have to say it's bad ass! Bluetooth, and great rich and full sound. Not sure on the price since it was a gift but I highly recommend.

It's small enough I'll be able to have it in my fanny pack blasting "working for the weekend" on repeat during spring skiing..
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Audio engine A2 powered speakers. $250 desktop sized. Might be more than you want to spend, will put any of those docking or all in one things to shame. Direct plug in. Audio quality is superb. Worth a look even if you don't purchase.

I have an original Jambox and I'm not real impressed with the volume. I have only used it with Bluetooth and iPhone or iPod. I have a couple of Logitech units, not Bluetooth capable, but they sound good with my iPod Classic.

Bose seems to have really nailed the small clock radio-sized speaker thing. I've listened to several and the Bose Soundlink Mini blew pretty much everything else away in terms of sounding like a real stereo, not a little box. The stereo imaging/phase coherence is weird (which is why audiophiles generally hate Bose), but for purposes of filling a room with sound that seems much bigger and fuller than the size of the box would indicate, Bose has it nailed. The Mini is actually better sounding than the full-sized Soundlink, IMHO. Not cheap at about $200, but if it's your main sound system and you're gonna keep it for 15 years, probably worth it.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Bose seems to have really nailed the small clock radio-sized speaker thing. I've listened to several and the Bose Soundlink Mini blew pretty much everything else away in terms of sounding like a real stereo, not a little box. The stereo imaging/phase coherence is weird (which is why audiophiles generally hate Bose), but for purposes of filling a room with sound that seems much bigger and fuller than the size of the box would indicate, Bose has it nailed. The Mini is actually better sounding than the full-sized Soundlink, IMHO. Not cheap at about $200, but if it's your main sound system and you're gonna keep it for 15 years, probably worth it.

Second on the Bose mini sooundlink. It actually blew my mind how good it sounded for something that small. We brought it to the cabin and it was more than acceptable. Its bluetooth so it comes in very handy if you just want to change rooms to listen. Works even better if you put it in the corner with some space behind it. Superb IMHO !
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

I have a Klipsch G17 Air - http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-G-17-A.../dp/B005KTNV70

I moved to Sonos, so I'd move this one for $100 + ship. Sounds way better than a Jambox.

Just remember to think future use too... like, just because you don't need/want bluetooth capability now, or you have a 30 pin iPod now, etc...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I have this in my office at work. Good sound definition at low volume, but sounds AWESOME at full volume when everyone else goes home and I'm stuck working late.

A little dated - it's the 30 pin (and the lightning connector adapter isn't an ideal solution), but it should work for your older iPod, and it has a minijack port for when you get a new sound device.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-iGroov...psch+ipod+dock

bump since I haven't purchased and looking for the new hotness

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Just remember to think future use too... like, just because you don't need/want bluetooth capability now, or you have a 30 pin iPod now, etc...
    Excellent point, as I have now decided that bluetooth would be great since all of my music is up on Google Play and I could then just use my phone.

So, now looking for a speaker that has bluetooth and 3.5 aux input. Less than $100.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've been very pleased with the TDK A33. Bluetooth, aux input, waterproof, rechargeable, and kicks out a lot of sound for such a small package. Solid bass response too; I put a small cloth under it so it doesn't rattle the table it's on. Close outs on Amazon right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1452884037.839356.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	174987

The RED ones!

JBL Flip 3. Awesome. 100 bucks.

I have a JBL Flip, a few years old and going strong.

If your phone has AirPlay get thishttp://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-airplay-speaker/.
    Fantastic sound. I don't have one but a friend does and it's great.

What did you end up with, Danno? Beats was recalled. In the market for something in the $250 range...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

For those paying attention, it will come as no surprise that the answer still is "nothing". Every time I turn on the crappy one we have, I want to buy a new one. But haven't focused on it enough to buy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Oh, ok then.
    I am leaning towards the Infinity...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

UE megaboom. Can catch em' on a good sale or craigslist. Can connect more than one for stereo. Waterprood, seem fairly rugged. Can crank out pretty good sound for size & Bluetooth.

I have now purchased three Google Chromecast Audios to connect to my main stereo and two old docking stations I have (one of which only supported ancient i-pods/i-phones but has a mini input, which is the chromecast default). These things are the fucking jam for $30, and you can set up combos, so it can play in both the living room and downstairs in the so-called playroom at the same time on equipment I already had.

The connectivity with Google Music is ridiculously seamless. If you have decent speakers otherwise and just want connectivity, these things are awesome.

I have the old 30-pin version of this Sony in the garage. Sound quality is pretty good, and it plays plenty loud.

http://www.costco.com/.product.10029...5_1161_AppleTV
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I just ordered one of these for portable tunes via Iphone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

I like the discounted price ($150), rating, portability and durability (all metal).

So many choices Danno... just do it!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I have one of these and love it http://www.outdoortechnology.com/Sho...EhKxoCl5Dw_wcB
    Seems to check all the boxes (Google to find cheaper). Loud, good sound, waterproof for outdoor use, wireless or wired and charges via usb.

I didn't read everything but I have really been happy with my Bose soundlink color. Long charge, bose sound without the price. Don't get me wrong it does not have the clarity and lows the $300 bose model has but does great for camping or just hanging around outside. bluetooth is capable of hooking up to multiple phones at once to change up who is playing music. Has a aux input. Battery seems to last a long time. And the best part is that it comes in red. https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLin...luetooth+color

https://cloodjo.com/best-bluetooth-s...top-10-reviews

I have DOSS Touch Bluetooth V4.0) Not bad. I like it

If any of you wanting good sound were awake last week, Monoprice had their 8" active studio monitors on sale for $169/pr and their 5" for $129. They're, like, biamplified 70-100w ea, so they can drown a little Bose in superaccurate soundwaves.
    Spend $79 on a Berhinger UMC204HD, or $129 on a Focusrite 2I2 if you want balanced outs, and easily have better 2-channel fidelity off a computer or phone than you can get in the consumer audio world this side of a couple thou.