Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I listen to Zach de la Rocha before I call my representatives. It doesn't always go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Here, this guy will take you to school, and he plays no Marley.

http://www.kexp.org/programs/PositiveVibrations

It's archived, btw.

I mean, loved him, but, jeez, it's a big world out there.
    You come into the Bob Marley thread to talk shit on Bob.

Classy.

Bob wouldn't of done that mon, crazy baldhead.

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    I listen to Zach de la Rocha before I call my representatives. It doesn't always go well.
    Well, there's that approach, also. I approve, for what it matters.

Years ago we made the pilgrimage to Nine Mile, Jamaica to see Bob Marley's birthplace. It was about an hour drive into the mountains from where we were staying. It was remarkably untouristy and pretty cool... lots of "Bob Marley weed" but a singing tour guide who couldn't hold a note to save his life. Lots of laughs.

The house was tiny and his bedroom as humble as an Amish jail cell. I got pretty high, ate the street food and am here to recount this rare existential experience. His music is obviously still relevant and he sure as shit deserves his place with the Gods.

Iceman, pretty sure this is where we first met:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Here, this guy will take you to school, and he plays no Marley.

http://www.kexp.org/programs/PositiveVibrations

It's archived, btw.

I mean, loved him, but, jeez, it's a big world out there.
    Positive Vibrations on KEXP has a great variety and is a solid show...have heard plenty of Marley played on it though with great accolades from the DJ.

Moar Tosh less Marley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Moar Tosh less Marley.
    Well that's wrong on a lot of levels but Peter Tosh kills, so you have that working for you.

We could get into a whole long talk about reggae if you wanted but it's

1. Bob
    2. Everyone else

no doubt at all about that.

There were a lot of talented musicians in that circle and the only one the West talks about is the half white one. Saying people should recognize Tosh more and idolize Marley less is not a statement that the former is superior to the latter.

I'll buy it but honestly I don't think it's what you really mean.

There's a whole group of people out there that hate Bob because he could -and did- reach white people. To me that's insane, I go to the music. Is the music good? Yes. Is it better than other music in it's cultural milieu? Yes. Is there more to it than just the music (i.e lyrics and performance)? Yes.

They will know Bob in a thousand years count on that.

Myopia fed by relative exposure. I have zero issue with Marley. It's a critical view of the way music has been distributed more than any critique of Marley. Tosh play has been actively suppressed from what I've read, or maybe I'm misremembering.

Without Blackwell tweaking his sound in the studio who knows if Bob would of been making hippies in London noodle in the 70's.

I do know his voice and and lyrics where second to none.

I mean the guy was trying to unite political parties at war with each other, got shot, played a concert that night. Who does that? No musician these days. Kanye?

Bob is the closest thing we've had to a musical prophet.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Also, reggae would not nearly be as popular and there would not nearly be so many good bands now getting widespread play and exposure if it wasnt for Marley.

Aside from the many other usual suspects, i also enjoy bim Sherman. His melodic golden voice on a very deep powder day is a perfect combo for me.

Jimmy Cliff deserves an honorable mention if not more as he really brought reggae to the masses with The Harder They Come.

It's human nature to make comparisons. To hold one out as "better" than the other. Jimmy Cliff and Peter Tosh certainly do deserve mention, as do many others (hell, the Maytals have been going strong prety much forever and deserve an award for sheer perseverence). Does it really matter why light-skinned Bob became the symbol of the movement? I don't think so, and it probably had much to do with the fact that he died young. Dead symbols are always much less messy than living ones.

I think the question remains, do we do these early activists more honor by listening to their music, or by taking positive steps to live those parts of their message that they most valued?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    It's human nature to make comparisons. To hold one out as "better" than the other. Jimmy Cliff and Peter Tosh certainly do deserve mention, as do many others (hell, the Maytals have been going strong prety much forever and deserve an award for sheer perseverence). Does it really matter why light-skinned Bob became the symbol of the movement? I don't think so, and it probably had much to do with the fact that he died young. Dead symbols are always much less messy than living ones.

I think the question remains, do we do these early activists more honor by listening to their music, or by taking positive steps to live those parts of their message that they most valued?
    Like multiple wives and not being around for his kids?

Once Bob went to England after being shot he didn't even want to return to Jamaica. His peace concert only happened after many many people begged him to return. He was more or less like "fuck that place" for a long while.

Hey if anyone bought a Chrysler made in Delaware in the late 60's Bob may have attached your bumper.

Does it really matter why light-skinned Bob became the symbol of the movement? I don't think so, and it probably had much to do with the fact that he died young. Dead symbols are always much less messy than living ones?
    True. Imagine if Jim Morrison were still alive, he'd be some fat washed up has been on Celebrity Rehab or selling insurance in Albany or something. Imagine IF Ozzy died in the peak of Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Hey if anyone bought a Chrysler made in Delaware in the late 60's Bob may have attached your bumper.
    He worked there? I toured that plant on a second grade field trip in 1966.

Pretty sure we shared a dubie...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    He worked there? I toured that plant on a second grade field trip in 1966.

Pretty sure we shared a dubie...
    Yup.

http://archive.delawareonline.com/ar...Shift-Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Like multiple wives and not being around for his kids?

Once Bob went to England after being shot he didn't even want to return to Jamaica. His peace concert only happened after many many people begged him to return. He was more or less like "fuck that place" for a long while.
    The man was imperfect. Find me one who isn't. We've reached a point where any role model you might choose, if it's an actual person rather than a fictional one, has flaws, warts, and a vestigial tail. But that merely reflects that humans have flaws, warts and the occasional tail. But I'm sure the role models you've chosen and the people you think deserve a little idolization are entirely without flaws, aren't they?

Today, I believe Bob would have wanted those of us who were close to the scene to comfort all those who lost someone in Charleston last night, and those of us who were far away to give serious thought to how such things happen, and how they can be stopped. Babylon took nine more souls from us last night, how many more will we give to it?

Today, I believe Bob would have wanted those of us who were close to the scene to comfort all those who lost someone in Charleston last night, and those of us who were far away to give serious thought to how such things happen, and how they can be stopped. Babylon took nine more souls from us last night, how many more will we give to it?
    Bleh. Come on now.

The man was imperfect. Find me one who isn't. We've reached a point where any role model you might choose, if it's an actual person rather than a fictional one, has flaws, warts, and a vestigial tail. But that merely reflects that humans have flaws, warts and the occasional tail. But I'm sure the role models you've chosen and the people you think deserve a little idolization are entirely without flaws, aren't they?

None of them are James....except you
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Very likely James is the only one with a gunt. So there's that.