Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

addicted to the perfect run

Most of you b.c. rider dudes don't ski enough vertical to get any good at the decent, and walking uphill just doesn't do much for your skiing. People taking risks for un-tracked snow, in dangerous conditions and/or exposure, are anal fussy narcissistic risk-taking skiers with weak skills and a strong, selfish needs, bringing the vibe of death into the sport. go back and learn to ski so you don't have to risk death to make a decent turn. Pros like Andreas....well, that's a different story. Sponsors take note: death is not cool and won't sell your products much longer.
    edit: I have to explain: the idea of insulting BC skiers is to undermine the pride they take, the hubris and arrogance about getting themselves up the mountain and into extreme danger, prob 50% chance of something sliding. It's not a place for pride, but a huge respect for the danger of the mountains. One day the ski area was closed for avi danger. some guys decided to go out and hike, touring gear in the car. they announced their intentions in the line when the closure of the hill was confirmed by ski patrol, saying everything they traversed had slid. we should have told them: hey guys, that's not cool. It's really gnarly out there. Come have a beer with us.
    Last edited by dvlr; 02-09-2015 at 10:28 AM.

In, for what seems to be a very important thread.

As a show of support, I just crossed the Deathwish off the list of skis I want to demo this year.

I gave up straws in 2014.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Ok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my favorite color is ham.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	163538  

That just gave me a whole lot of new top sheet ideas. What a squid!

I have a portable t-bar system that I haul in to the backwoods. I usually get 70k vert per day. My turns have really improved since deploying this system. PM me for more details.

you should just get a dehydrated ("freeze-dried") 3D printer, haul that up there, add water, then print that tow. print whatever you need to run the tow, too. print yourself a helicopter to access higher terrain, or a snow machine to cover more ground. print yourself a new set of skis right then and there. new bindings. then use Apple's new hologram technology to make yourself ski the terrain better than Real You ever could. it's all within reach.

It's too bad we don't live in a world where people can ski both the resort and the backcountry... maybe some day, someone will figure it out. It seems so complicated.

Ok, I'll bite on this one.
    While I do agree with the premise that the best way to get good at the downhill is to get the vertical in-bounds, what I have observed is that "MOST" people I see in the backcountry tend to stick to the terrain that matches their skiing ability. Those that can ski the chutes, the steeps and the couloirs tend to be the ones that I see going after those goods. Those that can't tend to stick to the lower angle stuff. Maybe I just go to places in the backcountry that attract smarter people than what the OP sees.
    I have politely told more than one person that if they want to ski the backcountry better, they should go get tons of laps on lift served terrain - and stay off the groomers, go on the days that suck as well as the powder days. Get comfortable skiing in/on anything, then they are on the right track.

Eagle, agree, with the exception of skiing groomers.

If you really want to get better, practice on groomers, then take it to off piste.

Funny how the OP seems to be such an expert on backcountry skiers despite (apparently) not being one himself.

Did somebody say Freebird?

TACOS!

Who likes tacos? This thread needs more tacos!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Not sure if it's mostly "narcissistic risk-taking skiers with weak skills" but you do strike a chord with the "people taking risks for un-tracked snow...bringing the vibe of death into the sport" OP.

I was reading some reports on the SIA and it sounded like it was overwhelmed with backcountry gear and vibe. Marketing that's bound to suck more and more marginally skilled players into the BC.

Then I go home and open the latest issue of Powder and read a piece on American Dave and it hits home that some of the coolest guys and gals in the sport won't be bagging the perfect run this year, or ever again. It gives me pause and tempers the volume of the siren song outside the ropes.

For what it's worth none of the dozen or so people I've known who have died in avalanches were novices.

The stats back that up. Your "typical" avy victim is an experienced skilled skier. It's ironic that the OP mentions Andreas Franson, because that's the type of skier that's dying in the backcountry.

"Dozen or so"

C'mon man. Keep it real.
    #HughConwayMatters

if i agreed with you we'd both be wrong, and we can't have that kind of compliance on this forum. tell him to take a lap, BF.

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post
    "Dozen or so"

C'mon man. Keep it real.
    Yeah that's an approximation. Not a number that's fun to tally up. But unfortunately I can't help think of seven in the last five years.

Troll = fed.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by dvlr View Post
    Most of you b.c. rider dudes don't ski enough ice to get any good at the decent
    FIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    TACOS!

Who likes tacos? This thread needs more tacos!
    I fucking love tacos.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    I fucking love tacos.
    ^^^ "

Lengua, al pastor, carnitas...ymmm, making me hambre

#HughConwayMatters

^^^ #HughConwayLives!

I'm not a backcountry skier and not an expert bc skier either. I am bummin' about one thing: too much death. Andreas Franson was my hero, and he recently wrote about it being time for him to take it back a notch. It's time for the whole community to take it back a notch.

I am a resort skier. I really like that the patrol goes out and skis everything and gets the feel of the snowpack before I go out. Otherwise I would never know if that sucker was going to slide. and neither would anyone.

It sounds a little like this is about who's the best skier (troll). It's not. It's about tools you have to enjoy less than perfect conditions, and live to ski another day.