Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Great Gulf, 4.16.05

went up and skied the Great Gulf on saturday with mildbill and disko. The Gulf came through huge, and the sking was super fun.

our decent back to the car however.... i'm not even going to talk about it. sufferfest does not come close to describing it.

there are many lines to be pieced together here

more gulf

pipeline entrance pic

looking up the bottom section

mildbill has some action shots on his camera that i'll try and add.
    it was nice to be out on such a warm day, with so little traffic out in the gulf. i think its my favorite terrain to ski on mt. washington.
    Last edited by basom; 04-17-2005 at 10:13 PM.

So how's secret plan 'A' looking? I'm not into the whole sufferfest thing, so that should be a way around it, right? Dates?
    What time did you hit it? Was the snow good? I'm guessing it must have been pretty warm up there, too.
    [quote][//quote]

yeah. plan A has no sufferfest involved. it was pretty warm in the sun, but those more north facing aspects in the first pic didn't warm up too much. i think the snow level could be higher than last time we executed said plan when it is time this year.

the snow in pipeline was soft. loud sluffly cornalanche point release. fun fun.

if you're looking for more for secret plan xyz, let me know.

Mit is offline Con-Coccyxial Concussed
    Nice shots basom. I'm glad to see that you finally got some good skiing at Mt Washington to compensate for last weekend .

basom
    Our crew was up in the GG on saturday too. We hit the usual sunny suspects - Pipeline and Cinch and then had some fun in Cassius (between Pipeline and Airplane off the top of Clay) which I haven't seen filled-in in 6-7 years. We ended up having to ski out the crux in a non-stop river of sluffing slush and potatochip crust which made it about as interesting as it needed to be. didn't have much energy left for a sufferfest so we skied from just south of the top of airplane right to the base of the cog in about 30 minutes. Only had to take our skis off for the last 200' at the base. The turns in Burt Ravine were some of the best of the day.

That's two great weekends in a row up there!

did we see you guys in pipeline?
    a group of four droped in before us, one guy on a slpitboard skiing with an axe, chica ripping tele, a guy on r;ex's and another guy on some older k2's who possibly owns valhala powdercats?

we skied burt too, but the long chute on skiers right. good 1000' vert. then about five miles of riverbed slogging. i recomend skiing burt to the bottom, especially if you lack character. it is maybe the best way to build a charachter foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    did we see you guys in pipeline?
    ...and another guy on some older k2's who possibly owns valhala powdercats?
    Pretty sure that would be Twister. Dude set us up nicely for Summit 03.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and trying to feel "in the know"),
    d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

That sounds a lot like our group. Sorry we didn’t meet up. Were you on Dynastars maybe? (funny how skiers remember people by their skis). As much as I’d never turn down the chance to gain a bit more character, for some reason i’m not sure i’d enjoy the character-building experience you’re suggesting. I feel that a certain amount of pain and suffering just makes it all worthwhile but where I draw the line is when you haven’t left enough time for a second beer in the parking lot.

Gin, it was fun hosting you guys for the day - a great group of some of the most stoked skiers and riders i’ve ever met. Hope we get to ski together someday...

yeah twister. that was mildbill on the dynastars, i was the one on volkls, disko was on pistols.

small world.

and i would not wish that particular sufferfest on my worst enemy. we made a poor judgement call. possibly the worst bushwack of all time. ALL TIME!

It was definately one of my best mount washington touring days. Sorry we didnt meet up again...I think we spent the entire time skiing lines that were right next to each other.

Our descent route was definately not a sufferfest...skied from the summit to the car with one or two spots to stop and walk over rocks.

I dont think I'll ever approach from the pinkham side again, after driving by sunday morning and seeing the parking lot.

Fresh Gulf! yumm
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

nice work basom!

pipeline looks

thanks for sharing.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog
    I dont think I'll ever approach from the pinkham side again, after driving by sunday morning and seeing the parking lot.
    i do wish we gt to ski with you guys a bit. seeing as how i was the guy who called you up and got you on our program

thanks BCR. i'm going to be looking to you next year to help show me where some good fun can be had when i move to the sierra next season.

nice lines and sans the tucks bowling alley scene.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

down the pipe.

baser on the right entrance.

disko.

more disko.

mildone and his better half. much better.

in Burt Ravine, i have my sights on the thicket. about three turns before slaying.

disko charges Burt.

nice pics base. i miss manitoba.

bill modeling some ill Liz Claibornes

me at the very strat of the sufferfest. it never got any more open than this.

dude. sweet posting abilities. the pics would be NOTHING if we didn't all have on our designer GEORGES sunglasses. three cheers to us for getting out of that sufferfest without any injuries. an extra cheer for me for going on a pub crawl after getting back to the city at 1130PM- that might have been worse than the river bed extravaganza.

why wouldn't anyone want to tour with us? gawd!

Quote Originally Posted by diskoskeegrl
    why wouldn't anyone want to tour with us? gawd!

lady, i havent a clue.

It's looking like KR on 5/1: y'alls would be most welcome additions to our party of unusual suspects...my email is in the clear...give a holler
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

did you guys take pipeline all the way to the bottom (below the rotted out icefall)? 'Cause surely we would've seen you down in the bottom of the Gulf.

That alternate entry looks super-cool.

One of these days we should actually ski together.

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    THAT is what I'm TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!!!!

Thicket = Harvested.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Nice shots... Looked like a perfect day, for a while....

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele
    did you guys take pipeline all the way to the bottom (below the rotted out icefall)?
    No. we stopped right above it because it was getting super soft and a little scary. The sauna like temperature of pipeline also made us want to get up and out of there as quickly as possible. We figured that there wasn't anything below the ice fall to make it worth trying to get down it and then having to make it back up over it. What we did ski was steep and fun, though.

PS. why won't you be my facebook friend? i poked you like a Zillion years ago!