Page 65 of 261 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 6516
    My hood moves a shit ton of air.

But my house leaks like a sieve
    . . .

If I ever get to design my dream house, every exhaust vent will have the fan motor at the exhaust end, not by my face. I abhor white noise; absolute torture.

I love sleeping with a fan on,
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    So now it's the bad contractor thread? Or it's about home humidity levels and the physics behind modern plumbing? Or are we talking about flooring? I'm confused.
    Forgot to say: 6th and seventh wives were contractors

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    If I ever get to design my dream house, every exhaust vent will have the fan motor at the exhaust end, not by my face. I abhor white noise; absolute torture.
    You and me both. I can't stand any kind of white noise/background noise. Give me silence, quiet conversation, or music played at conversational volumes. I'm around enough noisy shit all day at work, if you disturb my quiet when I'm not at work, you're going to get an awfully loud earful about.

Even with the blower on the roof there's some noise, especially at full bore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    I'm not following, I think your presumption here is every house is airtight and 100% hemetrically sealed and that's why cooking exhaust systems do not work. Which is way off from reality.

There is one and only only way to ever know how airtight a home is. Helpful hint, its not from reading someone's post on TGR. You get a professional to do a blower door test, which tells you how much CFM of outside air flows into your your structure.

The solution to loud vent exhaust systems is very simple, get one where the fan and motor are either outside the building or in a crawl space.
    10 years ago I had the blower test done as part of a Nationaly spancered energy audit, you pay 350$ to the guy who has the energy audit gig, buddy does the blower test and checks out yer house, makes recommendations on heating/insulation/window seals ect , you do the upgrades, he comes back to check in 6 months, submits the report and you get rebate checks from federal and provincial programs for the money you spent

I think I went from a 72 to 76 out of 100 or WTF that number meant, so a little less air leakage but on a mid 70's built up/down duplex built in the 70's with venting for 2 sets of everything you got to expect some air leakage

The key thing was getting a new HE furnace/ window sealing/ upgrading to R50 which all needed upgrading mostly all paid for, the new furnace & R50 cut the gas bill in < half and savings paid for the rest of the upgrades in under 4 years

I'm sure theree are better ways but on a 40 yr old house with those old systems, when i want to seal duct i use ... ductape

I
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    10 years ago I had the blower test done as part of a Nationaly spancered energy audit, you pay 350$ to the guy who has the energy audit gig, buddy does the blower test and checks out yer house, makes recommendations on heating/insulation/window seals ect , you do the upgrades, he comes back to check in 6 months, submits the report and you get rebate checks from federal and provincial programs for the money you spent

I think I went from a 72 to 76 out of 100 or WTF that number meant, so a little less air leakage but on a mid 70's built up/down duplex built in the 70's with venting for 2 sets of everything you got to expect some air leakage

The key thing was getting a new HE furnace/ window sealing/ upgrading to R50 which all needed upgrading mostly all paid for, the new furnace & R50 cut the gas bill in < half and savings paid for the rest of the upgrades in under 4 years

I'm sure theree are better ways but on a 40 yr old house with those old systems, when i want to seal duct i use ... ductape

I
    And what’d your wife think of all that?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    There was no presumption made at all, but rather a spurious inference on your part. Code requires a source of make-up air with a barometric damper if you are installing a hood that moves more than 400cfm of air, regardless of how leaky your house is.

I didn't say they don't work, I simply said they are not as effective as many people want them to be, given the cfm that most residential hoods move.
    When people cite code my immediate response is what set of codes, and to which book, chapter, section and paragraph and sentence are you citing? I'll go easy and not ask you.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    And what’d your wife think of all that?

She would be clueless but it doesnt matter cuz this is all my house

as opposed to you dentists who have to share with someone whom you hope doesnt want your half as well a-la the tammy wynette thread

My girlfriend passed the blower test

Then I married her.

Suction has decreased dramatically
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    She would be clueless but it doesnt matter cuz this is all my house

as opposed to you dentists who have to share with someone whom you hope doesnt want your half as well a-la the tammy wynette thread
    Hmmmmm, making just a few assumptions there.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

well the dentist one is pretty safe

What the fuck are you guys talking about in here now??? This thread is subject to the worst thread drifting of all time

ANYhow, back to the I love my wife and all: anybody else's wife incapable of being quiet while getting ready for work if you can sleep in? If I have to get up first, I'm a fucking ninja. You'd never know I was there, she stays fast asleep. If SHE has to get up and I can sleep in - shit, every light is on, blow dryers on "typhoon" setting, phone ringing, closet doors opening and shutting 50 times, talk radio or podcasts on, in and out of the bedroom 100 times... she'd wake the fucking dead.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Hmmmmm, making just a few assumptions there.
    Peeps spending 8 weeks in lockdown with someone they werent really getting along with, the money issues from work shutdowns due to covid, the spike in divorce rates/losing 1/2 yer shit/ ensuing bankruptcies are likely assumptions

but not if you don't have a wife

LOL
    Same here. I’m quite as as I can be, while she is a high volume tornado

I love my wife and all, but Jesus Hercules Christ...

I need to sleep in sometimes. Ear plugs saved my marriage.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ex-wife just had to be told to stfu and speak to me like an adult along with radio silence on my end until she can pull her shit together. I don't need a laundry list of why your life is currently a shit show. I just need a list of what you need me to do to make sure our daughter is taken care of. Thankfully my partner helps out far more than she is obligated to and is a wonderful person. She's also a ninja if she has to get up before me and when she goes to bed after me. Despite prior bitchings she really is a saint to put up with me.

Slowly closing a door with the knob already turned to avoid the click and then releasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    My hood moves a shit ton of air.

But my house leaks like a sieve
    I think we both live in old homes
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Slowly closing a door with the knob already turned to avoid the click and then releasing.
    NOT a skill in the female repertoire

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    My girlfriend passed the blower test

Then I married her.

Suction has decreased dramatically
    Why are women smiling on their wedding day?

They know they just gave their last blow job.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    When people cite code my immediate response is what set of codes, and to which book, chapter, section and paragraph and sentence are you citing? I'll go easy and not ask you.
    I was referring to the code that my municipality has adopted, although the code language has been the same since 2009. So since you asked, I was referencing the 2015 IRC Chapter 15, section M1503.4.

For the record, I agree with you in principle that most houses are leaky enough to be just fine running a pretty high volume exhaust hood, but if you've ever had a draft reverse on a wood stove or fire place and dealt with that smoky shitstorm, you would want to do what you could to avoid a negative pressure situation.

Anyway, I'm not married, so I'll stop contributing to the derailment of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    What the fuck are you guys talking about in here now??? This thread is subject to the worst thread drifting of all time

ANYhow, back to the I love my wife and all: anybody else's wife incapable of being quiet while getting ready for work if you can sleep in? If I have to get up first, I'm a fucking ninja. You'd never know I was there, she stays fast asleep. If SHE has to get up and I can sleep in - shit, every light is on, blow dryers on "typhoon" setting, phone ringing, closet doors opening and shutting 50 times, talk radio or podcasts on, in and out of the bedroom 100 times... she'd wake the fucking dead.
    And the drift wasn't even my fault this time. I do aspire to be drift king, however my game is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    "typhoon" setting
    BWAH!!
    Tropical storm Karen.