Page 146 of 262 FirstFirst ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 6538
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    No mention of the wisdom of using a quality DW detergent? Well worth the extra cents.
    i always get Ze best name brand stuff in those self dissolving packets, yer Finish or Calgon or something high end

NOT the really cheap powdered shit from costco

back in the day at Big White I used to ski with Al the appliance repair guy, he said the water has to be hot enough for the DW to clean well so the first thing he did for that "not cleaning well" complaint was run water and put his thermometer in a cup of water to see how hot it was , somehow 140F comes to mind but that was 83 and you know ... drugs eh

Do your clothes smell like a cattle barn apres washing them in one of them new chi-chi front load washing machines ? Soap n Shit gets stuck in that front rubber seal and just gets rank (goggle it) they even make washing stuff to wash your washing machine

but i think i am going to stick with my old top-loaders

remember, damn near anything you can have problems on has a you toobe that will tell you how to fix it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    It’s like our trash cans that magically get bleached at least three times a year. She has no idea these things are necessary.

Staying at a friends house this week. Opened their trash barrel and it was a surstroming challenge.
    Once I stopped dry heaving and gagging I bleached the fuck out of that thing.
    Have you ever used Pine Sol? It makes the barrel smell good and is a disinfectant if used at certain concentrations.

That and a garden hose with good pressure and an angled push broom with the broom part cut down to about half size works for me.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

So do you at least scrape off the large bits of stuff before putting dishes in? I have this vision of a plate with some meat scraps and a couple broccoli florets and you just throwing it all in the dishwasher.
    The operation manual for my fairly new DW says this under Tips for loading the DW:

Remove coarse food residues from the dishware.

There is no need to rinse items under running water!
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

Yeah? What do they know?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

My current dishwasher is around 35-40 years old. It does one thing: spray hot water and detergent all over dishes. We recently blew the gasket and had to order a part from mongolia to replace it, took damn near three weeks to get it. Fuck hand washing by the way, I hate that shit. Rinsing dishes before washing is too much to ask for the three of us in this house, so we just send it and I get to pick bones, labels, pieces of glass, condoms, or whatever else out of the little filter in the bottom every few weeks when it backs up. We can't kill this fucking thing no matter what we try. My personal favorite part is the electric oven heating element in the bottom that "dries" the dishes. That thing literally melts plastic, the occasional spatula that ends up on the bottom rack or burns my fucking hand when I have to unclog the drain mid cycle.

Ya'll need to downgrade to the old school DW by the sound of it.

I like a half-second rinse after scraping just to keep it moist and prevent the food residue from gluing itself to the plate.

I don't know who recommends what but after years of giving me the stinkeye because I very quickly rinse the dishes, my in-laws one day out of the blue said I was right all along, according to a dishwasher repair guy they hired. I tried not to gloat.

Rinsing cuts down on the dog hurting himself trying to lick the dishes when the family leaves the full dishwasher full open after dinner. He caught his collar tags on the dishrack once and that was mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    The operation manual for my fairly new DW says this under Tips for loading the DW:

Remove coarse food residues from the dishware.

There is no need to rinse items under running water!
    Fine print sez: "coarse" = anything visible.

Pre rinse. Every time. We have a garbage disposal for a reason, and it ain't connected to the DW. Wife isn't as consistent with it as I am and I can't tell you how many times I've had to reclean dishes after she run them.. let alone the shit I clean weekly from the filter.

Just do it. It doesn't take so long, and for me at least (father of 3, 11 and under) it's one of the rare times that I get to just zen out and listen to music.

Edit: but all that said, with 3 and both working full time our sink tends to accumulate dishes throughout the day that are then loaded and run all at once, so that may lead to some extra stuck stuff that needs a rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    My current dishwasher is around 35-40 years old. It does one thing: spray hot water and detergent all over dishes. We recently blew the gasket and had to order a part from mongolia to replace it, took damn near three weeks to get it. Fuck hand washing by the way, I hate that shit. Rinsing dishes before washing is too much to ask for the three of us in this house, so we just send it and I get to pick bones, labels, pieces of glass, condoms, or whatever else out of the little filter in the bottom every few weeks when it backs up. We can't kill this fucking thing no matter what we try. My personal favorite part is the electric oven heating element in the bottom that "dries" the dishes. That thing literally melts plastic, the occasional spatula that ends up on the bottom rack or burns my fucking hand when I have to unclog the drain mid cycle.

Ya'll need to downgrade to the old school DW by the sound of it.
    and they ^^ are fucking noisy but they pretty much do run forever unless water takes out the motor if a main seal goes

if yuo turn off the dryer it won't melt things and it will save $$$ cuz the heater costs a lot to run, just let the dishes dry overnight

my Kitchenaid was not washing stuff on the top rack well, I found the palstic plenum running up the inside back between the bottom and the top sprayer wands had a hole in it, so fix with ductape until I could source the new part.

I had the door mechanism helper spring assembly let go so I fixed it using an old inner derailler cables and some cable anchors from the HW

I pre-rinse some if its really dirty but not much, don't over load and stack the dishes in a way that you know they will all get clean

Things got weird in here. Sounds like you guys want to take charge and wear the panties in the family more than you want to complain about your wives.

they are gona complain any way and the hardware still breaks

same as it ever was

We have an induction rangetop which is powerful as all hell, and I love cooking on it. It takes a little getting used to, but on the whole, I prefer it to gas - it's clean, extremely responsive, etc. I'm actually kinda bummed that the new place ONLY has gas.

I've explained the differences between induction and a standard electric cooktop to my wife multiple times, but she still hasn't fully internalized the fact that with induction, you aren't warming up a burner which then, in turn, warms up a pan. Instead, you are directly warming the pan up - so if you want the pan to be at a "6", you put it at a 6 and wait half a minute for the thing to get up there. Instead, she likes to try and "jump start" this by heating it to, say, a 9 - much like running the air conditioning on full blast the moment you get into a hot car, but with the added risk of a house fire.

Well, today it finally happened. I was working downstairs when I started to see flashes of flame from the kitchen, with her screaming at the top of her lungs. She had put half a stick of butter into a nice high carbon steel pan and put it on a 9 heat to "melt the butter more quickly" and then forgotten about it entirely. until the ensuing apocalypse. I came up, took the pan outside, and hit it with a fire extinguisher.

On the upside, now we get to test our brand new air purifier to see how quickly it clears the smoke in here.

air quality graph from the new filter showing our grease fire. literally plugged this thing in this morning.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Do they give awards for perfect avatars here?!

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    We have an induction rangetop which is powerful as all hell, and I love cooking on it. It takes a little getting used to, but on the whole, I prefer it to gas - it's clean, extremely responsive, etc.
    We have an induction range as well - and as someone that likes to cook, it kicks ass. The control is simply fantastic.

I have flattop electric. Hate the on-off cycling. Either full on or off. Constantly have to watch over pasta so it doesn't boil over when the element goes on. With gas, the flame is constant, but controlled. Is induction like gas (controlled) or electric (on-off)?
    If controlled, how well (fast) is the response to cooking temp compared to gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Do they give awards for perfect avatars here?!
    Ha! I didn't even think of that. But yeah, that was this morning. I haven't even checked my precious high carbon steel pan yet, I'm afraid to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    We have an induction range as well - and as someone that likes to cook, it kicks ass. The control is simply fantastic.
    Yep. We got a nice gas range for the new place after getting a quote for $3k to run 220 service down to our kitchen, and honestly, it's gonna feel like a step down. The only thing gas has going for it are the aesthetics, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. I've got cooking on that stove down to a science - I know exactly what number I need for every job and every pan. No guesswork on induction, and it's so bloody quick to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I have flattop electric. Hate the on-off cycling. Either full on or off. Constantly have to watch over pasta so it doesn't boil over when the element goes on. With gas, the flame is constant, but controlled. Is induction like gas (controlled) or electric (on-off)?
    If controlled, how well (fast) is the response to cooking temp compared to gas?
    It's honestly like gas but better in every way. Faster, more precise, more repeatable. I can go from a roaring boil to a simmer by pressing a button, and the change has taken place by the time I reach from the button to the stirring spoon.

Can you roast a pepper on an induction stove?

Then fuck off.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

Then fuck off.
    Yeah honestly the only times I think gas is better is for roasting peppers and making babaganoush. But I can use a gas grill for that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

^^^ nonsense.
    Induction is miles better than a regular electric cooktop but making it sound like a revolution over gas is a huge exaggeration. It's safer (for people who treat cooking as an activity that doesn't require any attention), possibly at touch faster at the high end, but in terms of control there's no difference, you can drop a flame as fast as an electric current and there's about the same latency with both options. If you can't control a simmer with gas you're either too dumb to operate a knob or your stove needs to go. And repeatability? Are we talking about the cooking olympics here? This is art, not a chemistry lab. I don't lose sleep over my pasta water boiling time varying by +/- 3%, which it doesn't unless I'm cooking outside in the wind.

Induction looks slick as fuck and certainly more modern than ye ole flame but at equivalent performance it's still more expensive, especially if you have to run a 220 line in the house or replace your cookware cause your dope copper pots aren't ferromagnetic. If you already have the power source and the pots it can makes sense but don't expect induction to be the second coming of Anthony Bourdain directly in your kitchen. Also, I'd rather clean a stainless gas range than a glass top, those things look great for a hot minute but the second you get a scratch or stain on there your kitchen looks like a kebab stand in downtown Beirut.

Edit: fight me.
    Last edited by Boissal; 08-19-2021 at 04:24 PM.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Interesting that this thread has turned into where we talk about cooking and doing dishes. Soon we'll have tips about sweeping and dusting too.

About dishwashers, I don't like them, but Fofette does (I just finished doing the dishes from lunch, by hand). I like to learn about how things work, and I recently read a bunch about them. What I found out:

• The first quick wash (the "prewash") does a big chunk of the work. In the US most dishwashers are attached to the hot water pipe for the sink, but the prewash uses little water so most likely the dishwasher will fill up with cold water. So, run the hot water in your sink when you start the dishwasher, so that the dishwasher fills up with hot water (you can stop running the water in the faucet once it comes out hot and the dishwasher is filling up).
    • Filter or no filter depends on the brand. If the dishwasher has no filter, then it has a garbage disposal type of thing that chops leftover bits into small bits.
    • If you use detergent pods, most likely the prewash is done with plain water (because the pod will be released only for the main wash), so you could sprinkle a little bit of powder or liquid detergent in the bottom of the dishwasher to help with the prewash.
    • Use a rinse aid if you have the reservoir for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Edit: fight me.
    Go sous vide something, or fire up your instapot or air fryer.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

Then fuck off.
    No. That is what 12 or 14 in wide grill cooktops are made to do.
    Name:  12 in wide grill cooktop-2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  20.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	12 nin wide grill cooktop.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	382909

After I saw one of these being demo-ed they're at the top of my list in the 'next renovation.'