Page 145 of 163 FirstFirst ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 4067
  1. #3601
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Oh fuck no.

    Pre
    Rinse

    Back in the day we had kitchen aid dishwashers that ate everything. Fucking built in disposal. No rinse. Not even a scrape.
    Meat scraps, veg, whatever.

    Today? All that food ends up in the filter basket. Stank nasty.
    And most people donít even clean it out.

    PS. Modern dishwasher works great on China and crystal cycle. Fuck waiting three hours.
    Is that what the salesman told you? A dishwasher drain isnít large enough to handle the waste even if itís ground up. Appliance repairmen will tell you that not scraping and gross rinsing is a sure way to kill even modern dishwashers. Why would a dishwasher need a filter if it had a built in disposal?

    Iíve had the same dishwasher for 20 years, the secret is scrape and rinse. Clean the filter.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #3602
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,550
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I had that conversation with my cousin's husband, who's a civil engineer and particular about process - I was helping with dishes at their house and got a tongue lashing for not pre-rinsing. I explained that wasn't a thing anymore, but pretty sure he just thought I was shirking / didn't know how to do dishes.
    Can someone tell me when this changed? Used to be DW's had built-in disposals to handle food waste, but my understanding was those were eliminated due to efficiency rules? Without a built-in disposal, where do all the chunkies go? Get caught in a filter?

  3. #3603
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    7,162
    Anyone else ever run the same thing through the dishwasher for months because they were too lazy to hand wash it? I bet a put a spatula through 100+ cycles one time before it got cleaned.

  4. #3604
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Can someone tell me when this changed? Used to be DW's had built-in disposals to handle food waste, but my understanding was those were eliminated due to efficiency rules? Without a built-in disposal, where do all the chunkies go? Get caught in a filter?
    Check out this shit: https://www.cnet.com/home/kitchen-an...t-food-stains/

    Money quote: So, in a way, your dishwasher digests the food stains on your dishes. These two enzymes are called protease and amylase, and they digest protein and starch, respectively.

    And yeah, anything big enough winds up in the filter, but I rarely have much in there.

  5. #3605
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,224
    Iím a rabid pre rinser.

    The drain hose is like 3/4ths to a half inch diameter, Iím not taking any chances even with the filter.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #3606
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    14,488
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Can someone tell me when this changed? Used to be DW's had built-in disposals to handle food waste, but my understanding was those were eliminated due to efficiency rules? Without a built-in disposal, where do all the chunkies go? Get caught in a filter?
    Yes. And my wife has no idea there is a filter.

    And at friends houses I have been horrified by what is in there.

    It’s like our trash cans that magically get bleached at least three times a year. She has no idea these things are necessary.

    Staying at a friends house this week. Opened their trash barrel and it was a surstroming challenge.
    Once I stopped dry heaving and gagging I bleached the fuck out of that thing.
    ďIím a subhuman jizz monkeyĒ

    Thx mods. Itís an awesome signature.

  7. #3607
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,550
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Check out this shit: https://www.cnet.com/home/kitchen-an...t-food-stains/

    Money quote: So, in a way, your dishwasher digests the food stains on your dishes. These two enzymes are called protease and amylase, and they digest protein and starch, respectively.

    And yeah, anything big enough winds up in the filter, but I rarely have much in there.


    So do you at least scrape off the large bits of stuff before putting dishes in? I have this vision of a plate with some meat scraps and a couple broccoli florets and you just throwing it all in the dishwasher.

  8. #3608
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the hogback shadow
    Posts
    3,027
    I know for a first hand fact DW canít handle broken glass chunks. Plastic motor bits just get destroyed


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  9. #3609
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I know for a first hand fact DW canít handle broken glass chunks. Plastic motor bits just get destroyed
    What?!? Dishwashing detergent doesn't have broken glass enzymes?!? Color me disappointed.


  10. #3610
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post


    So do you at least scrape off the large bits of stuff before putting dishes in? I have this vision of a plate with some meat scraps and a couple broccoli florets and you just throwing it all in the dishwasher.
    Yeah, no bones, fish skin or large chunks, but I don't get too particular. Rice grains might make it into the dishwasher, for instance. We had a dog until earlier this year (pour one out for our little buddy) and composting, so the scraps that might be too big for the dishwasher find a home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I know for a first hand fact DW can’t handle broken glass chunks. Plastic motor bits just get destroyed
    LOL, yeah, that's probably out of spec. You need the industrial model for that.

  11. #3611
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,550
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Yeah, no bones, fish skin or large chunks, but I don't get too particular. Rice grains might make it into the dishwasher, for instance. We had a dog until earlier this year (pour one out for our little buddy) and composting, so the scraps that might be too big for the dishwasher find a home.
    Alright. I'm glad to hear you're not a monster.

  12. #3612
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14,150
    Father always gave the domestic help Saturday and Sunday off. We've carried on the tradition, so on Friday night we bring out fiestaware and stainless steel utensils which can go into the the dishwasher. But otherwise Carmela and her daughter hand wash the fine china and silver Mon-Friday.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  13. #3613
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    2,067

    I love my wife and all, but Jesus Hercules Christ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Father always gave the domestic help Saturday and Sunday off. We've carried on the tradition, so on Friday night we bring out fiestaware and stainless steel utensils which can go into the the dishwasher. But otherwise Carmela and her daughter hand wash the fine china and silver Mon-Friday.
    Maybe they only taught this at public schools but JHFC how fucking nouveau can u be? Stainless? On SUNDAY?!?!? Seriously, where is your weekend crew?

    I recall some good advice: the weekend crew is worth the nominal extra expense. FFS. Do you live in Siberia or something?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 08-17-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  14. #3614
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,449
    all my appiances upstairs and down are on the old/ low end side, as opposed to yer dentist grade machines

    they just keep chugging along cuz I think the older stuff was more trouble free

    I never call the appliance repairman cuz they are easy to fix with help from info on a couple of websites if they do break

    I just can't understand it when people talk about throwing out 5 yr old appliances
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  15. #3615
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I just can't understand it when people talk about throwing out 5 yr old appliances
    Isn't newer always better? That's what my tv told me.

    I pretty much wash everything before it goes in the dishwasher, for two reasons:
    We don't run it every day, so things dry out and get crusted over and then a wash cycle merely bakes them on, and...
    My second job at 14 was dish dog in a restaurant; I only racked one glass that still had lipstick on it and NEVER made that mistake again.

    My MIL comes to stay with the kids when I'm away at work, and I am legitimately concerned they're going to get botulism one of these times. We can't do it without her help, but she can not get the dishes clean to save her life. The first thing I do when I get home is take all the silverware out of the drawer and all the plates and bowls off the shelves and hand wash them. I swear the woman is blind.

  16. #3616
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Is that what the salesman told you? A dishwasher drain isn’t large enough to handle the waste even if it’s ground up. Appliance repairmen will tell you that not scraping and gross rinsing is a sure way to kill even modern dishwashers. Why would a dishwasher need a filter if it had a built in disposal?

    I’ve had the same dishwasher for 20 years, the secret is scrape and rinse. Clean the filter.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This, I don't give a fuck what some sale man told you.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  17. #3617
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    17,099
    No mention of the wisdom of using a quality DW detergent? Well worth the extra cents.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  18. #3618
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,630
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post

    I pretty much wash everything before it goes in the dishwasher, for two reasons:
    We don't run it every day, so things dry out and get crusted over and then a wash cycle merely bakes them on, and...

    .
    This. And we're on a septic system, so everything gets scraped into the trash can, try to minimize anything going down the drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  19. #3619
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
    Posts
    3,570
    I had a shitty cheap Admiral DW I installed in about 1995 in a shitty house I owned. I talked to the new owner and the thing was still running last fall. Sure it was noisy like a table saw in the kitchen.

  20. #3620
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    No mention of the wisdom of using a quality DW detergent? Well worth the extra cents.
    Quality DW detergent?!?!?

    Line 'em up, Maynard.

  21. #3621
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bethel, Maine
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I pretty much wash everything before it goes in the dishwasher, for two reasons:
    We don't run it every day, so things dry out and get crusted over and then a wash cycle merely bakes them on, and...
    My second job at 14 was dish dog in a restaurant; I only racked one glass that still had lipstick on it and NEVER made that mistake again.

    My MIL comes to stay with the kids when I'm away at work, and I am legitimately concerned they're going to get botulism one of these times...
    I may have already said it upthread, but I really wish my wife could spend a month or two working in a decent commercial kitchen. Understanding the difference between food safe surfaces, those that aren't, and that "clean" for a food surface doesn't just mean "looks clean" would make me feel fat better about our kitchen.

    Sometimes she gets pissed when I bring up something that would get written up if seen by a health inspector and says, "have I made you sick since you moved in?"

    Well, no, not acutely, but I haven't been in a car crash in longer than that but I still wear my seat belt and stop at stop signs.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

  22. #3622
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    13,244
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Anyone else ever run the same thing through the dishwasher for months because they were too lazy to hand wash it? I bet a put a spatula through 100+ cycles one time before it got cleaned.
    You'd better fucking believe it. haha.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  23. #3623
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    7,162
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Isn't newer always better? That's what my tv told me.

    I pretty much wash everything before it goes in the dishwasher, for two reasons:
    We don't run it every day, so things dry out and get crusted over and then a wash cycle merely bakes them on, and...
    My second job at 14 was dish dog in a restaurant; I only racked one glass that still had lipstick on it and NEVER made that mistake again.

    My MIL comes to stay with the kids when I'm away at work, and I am legitimately concerned they're going to get botulism one of these times. We can't do it without her help, but she can not get the dishes clean to save her life. The first thing I do when I get home is take all the silverware out of the drawer and all the plates and bowls off the shelves and hand wash them. I swear the woman is blind.
    Damn, are you just bored? Nobody is getting botulism from dirty dishes.

  24. #3624
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    7,181
    I would think everything gets sterilized in the heat of the DW, even the baked on stuff.

  25. #3625
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    17,099
    That and the chemicals in DW detergent.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •