Page 193 of 265 FirstFirst ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 6620
    Unless she has altered lifestyle & diet to something she can sustain

she will gain it all back and more
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks. After 60 years with the lady I know that. Why is she fattening me up from my svelte 146?
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Thanks. After 60 years with the lady I know that. Why is she fattening me up from my svelte 146?
    Probably so she can eat you in a cheat day

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    So she looks even skinnier standing next to you! Duh

^^ Bingo
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Saw this and thought it might be appropriate for this thread.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1662306014.426205.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	357.2 KB 
ID:	425487
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A severe vagal reaction can be terrifiying. I once had a patient do that in clinic doing some minor procedure. That didn't need sedation or an IV. We had a crash cart and a nurse who hadn't taken care of a sixk patient in decades. The patient looked like death, agonal type breathing. The longest and most terrifying 5 minutes of my life, until the patient came to. And I realized that it's one thing to run a code with a bunch of other people who know what they're doing. It's another to be essentially alone. That's the thing about doctors--we're trained to work with lots of equipment and other trained people. On our own, out of our environment we're as useless as Boy Scouts.
    Sidebar: Yup.

I was diagnosed with vasovagal syncope at age 50 after unwittingly living with it my entire life. I am sure the first episode occurred earlier but the first that I recall was in 5th grade after a school-wide vaccination. Feeling faint I twice asked the teacher for permission to the bathroom and was denied. Then I went up to her desk, vomited all over her and it, and passed out. I was a minor celebrity for a bit, and a bud whose family owned a candy store gave me free Lifesavers for a while after that.

The next episode I clearly remember occurred in 7th grade biology class. I was super anxious about the day we were to dissect frogs, and sure enough, feeling faint I went to the bathroom and blew chunks. By then I had learned not ask for permission but my rep as a dude fell a few notches. This was the point at which I abandoned the idea of becoming a heli pilot because I had no understanding of, or control over these seemingly random events.

Skip forward to age 34 and a visit to a neurologist after concussing a tree snowboarding. Nurse sat me on the table and asked me to turn my head and I woke up in an ambulance. Apparently, I passed out, slid off the table and the nurse was unable to catch me in time to prevent me cracking my head on the floor resulting in 10 stitches on the eyebrow.

Vasovagal syncope events are commonly triggered by the sight of blood or the fear of needles, but becoming emotionally overwhelmed can also be a cause, as I discovered while watching House of 1000 Corpses (Rob Zombie). I typically NEVER watch slasher films but I was desperately chasing splittail and it was her house, her choice. Bad decision for me.

At age 50 I was watching a play in NYC (sitting directly in front of Annette Benning and Angie Harmon) and the subject matter was the AIDS crisis of the 80's. All good until Act III when the performers appeared in makeup to resemble the disease. I became so uncomfortable I had to bail at the climax of the play and chuck it in the WC. My GF at the play was the first person who finally, and correctly identified my issue.

Since then I always tell doctors or lab workers that passing out is a possibility for me, and they should be prepared. In 2016 I had three VV events in one week at DR offices and during a full-body CT scan. I then saw a cardiologist who did all the tests and discovered nothing. Finally, a visit to an electrophysiologist led to a tilt-table test which resulted in what the DR described as "the most immediate, significant, and textbook presentation" of vasovagal syncope he had ever witnessed in his career. I was prescribed a pacemaker but turned it down.

During the pandemic of 1968, the so-called "Hong Kong Flu" (1 million deaths), I lost 100% of my hearing in one ear overnight, and am pretty sure this is the event that caused my neurological vasovagal disorder, but I cannot be sure.

Finally figured out the cure to a lifelong problem and you turned it down?

OK.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Finally figured out the cure to a lifelong problem and you turned it down?

OK.
    I live in 3 countries and sometimes not insured so having a device in me that needs maintenance is not in my plan. My heart is fine. The problem is the signal from the brain to the heart, but I suppose you know that. Thanks

EDIT: BTW, there is no cure for vasovagal syncope. Only coping mechanisms, and trigger avoidance. It was later determined that a pacemaker was over prescription, likely an effort to make $$$
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 09-05-2022 at 12:09 PM.

I got a buddy who could pass out from seeing blood or needles, the thing is that buddy was an MD

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got a buddy who could pass out from seeing blood or needles, the thing is that buddy was an MD
    Wow. Talk about pushing your boundaries and challenging yourself. Kudos

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Wow. Talk about pushing your boundaries and challenging yourself. Kudos
    well it had happened in the past but it didn't happen all the time, buddy sez he could deal with it and the key was actively keep breathing

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Was his name Doc Martin, by any chance...?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Dr. Death, actually.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

he was actualy a good MD, patients & nurses liked him

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...590-story.html

check out this guy ^^ a surgeon with Tourettes

My mom had severe vasovagal syncope. She died at age 46.5 from a brain aneurysm. So there's that. She was useless the times I cut myself badly as a kid. I get a wicked queasy reaction with tightness in my chest to [other people's] blood and to needles, but I've never passed out. So far. If I distract myself I can make it go away.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    My mom had severe vasovagal syncope. She died at age 46.5 from a brain aneurysm. So there's that. She was useless the times I cut myself badly as a kid. I get a wicked queasy reaction with tightness in my chest to [other people's] blood and to needles, but I've never passed out. So far. If I distract myself I can make it go away.
    FYI/PSA:
    Teach the patient maneuvers to prevent the vasovagal attack.
    For instance, crossing legs along with squeezing the muscles of hands and foot to increase peripheral vascular resistance to
    Lie down and elevating foot above heart level to increase blood flow to the brain by gravity
    Sit down and put the head between both knees until the patient feels better.
    Source: https://nurseship.com/vasovagal-sync...ng-management/

I do exercise B when I feel the onset of vasovagal syncope:

Attachment 425585

Photo from: https://exercisewalls.blogspot.com/2...cises-for.html

In my professional experience it's always men that faint.

Wife sometimes does the dishes (big pots and pans, etc) after a meal. Usually we help each other out, but sometimes she just tells me to go play with the kids or relax or whatever and she will take care of it all. Wonderful! Except, she seems to forget the very last step in dishwashing, and that is to remove the plug in the sink and let all the nasty soap/grease water drain away. So I will wake up, go to make a coffee, and get to start my day unplugging a cold AF sink with nasty water and bits of food all collected at the bottom. Sometimes, a little grease will re-coagulate and form a ring around the sink that I also need to take care of. Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Wife sometimes does the dishes (big pots and pans, etc) after a meal. Usually we help each other out, but sometimes she just tells me to go play with the kids or relax or whatever and she will take care of it all. Wonderful! Except, she seems to forget the very last step in dishwashing, and that is to remove the plug in the sink and let all the nasty soap/grease water drain away. So I will wake up, go to make a coffee, and get to start my day unplugging a cold AF sink with nasty water and bits of food all collected at the bottom. Sometimes, a little grease will re-coagulate and form a ring around the sink that I also need to take care of. Blech.
    The joys of waking up.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    In my professional experience it's always men that faint.
    Totally agree. So many dads going to ground on OB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

For all three of my wife's C-sections I sat on a stool at her head behind a screen with the anesthesiologist. I warned them in advance. I didn't faint. I just had to not look down at the surgeons' feet on the other side of the screen. That was all kinds of gross.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Grandmas x 2

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    For all three of my wife's C-sections I sat on a stool at her head behind a screen with the anesthesiologist. I warned them in advance. I didn't faint. I just had to not look down at the surgeons' feet on the other side of the screen. That was all kinds of gross.
    LOL
    #2 reason i have no kids

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    LOL
    #2 reason i have no kids
    If C section blood is the number 2 reason you didn’t have kids what was number 1?