Page 105 of 265 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 6620

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I mean it comes with a DVD, must rate pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    if you wanna get really nerdy about knife sharpening there is a big difference between flat sharpening (what most cheaper sharpeners do) vs a convex edge, which is what nicer, higher-end sharpeners are able to create. a flat knife edge will dull significantly quicker (there is less material bolstering the cutting surface, which means it gets "pushed over/burred/knicked" much easier). so with a simple, flat-edge sharpener, you will likely need to sharpen more often.

the real benefit of wet stones or the work sharp (which honestly isn't as good but it's still amazing) is that you get a convex edge. these edges last longer, glide better, and are not hard to maintain with the right tools. here is some more reading:

https://sharppebble.com/blogs/blogs/...ou-may-need-it

In the lab the sharpness test was the ability to pare(split) full grain pig leather with the force necessary to slide a piece of paper across a desk. if a knife wasn't sharp enough to pare leather with zero force, it went back to the sharpening station. our progression was 600/2000/6000/12000, but that is stupid overkill for a kitchen knife imo. if you wanna go full samurai then here is a set i'd reccomend: https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/S...xoCd0oQAvD_BwE
    Have you spent enough time in Sprockets yet to discover hot-waxing bike chains?

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    honestly though if you have cheaper knives, keeping them sharp is all that matters, however you do it. if i'd rather work with a cheap, sharp knife than a fancy, dull knife any day.
    Yep. I use an Accusharp because I have cheap knives. I wouldn't use one on really nice knife, but a lot of expensive knives are actually cheap knives.

I love my wife and all, but Jesus Hercules Christ...

Seattle Mags - “Chef Robert Sharpens Knives” CIA trained Chef that can’t be in the kitchen anymore due to disability so he runs a mobile sharpening service. He sharpens for a lot of the professional chefs and restaurants in Seattle and is booked out like 2 months... highly recommend.

Chefrobertsharpensknives.com

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Seattle Mags - “Chef Robert Sharpens Knives” CIA trained Chef that can’t be in the kitchen anymore due to disability so he runs a mobile sharpening service. He sharpens for a lot of the professional chefs and restaurants in Seattle and is booked out like 2 months... highly recommend.

Chefrobertsharpensknives.com

Every town needs a chef Roberts.

Is this where we talk about wax rings?
    I have to give my wife credit. A few years ago she replaced all our toilets with water saving ones. The only thing I had to do was fix one broken flange (broken when we bought the house.)
    Toilets can be challenging. Guy I know is a full time handyman for a rich guy's mansion. He spends most of his time fixing the $10K Japanese toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Is this where we talk about wax rings?
    I have to give my wife credit. A few years ago she replaced all our toilets with water saving ones. The only thing I had to do was fix one broken flange (broken when we bought the house.)
    Toilets can be challenging. Guy I know is a full time handyman for a rich guy's mansion. He spends most of his time fixing the $10K Japanese toilets.
    Did you pull a permit?

https://www.shoppingmetropolis.com/p...31878966542409

I recently got one of these ^^ for sharpening knives, it is the chinese knock off of something with a good rep made in america on which the patent expired or sft, IME it can sharpen a lot of knives with a pretty good degree of accuracy the jig works well, the stones might be suspect but they do give you a lot of stones and you can buy more
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Did you pull a permit?
    Permit? I don't need no permit. I don't need to show you no stinkin' permit!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What does the receiver do?
    #fuckyoutowhoeversaysreceive
    It manages all the inputs from CD, tape deck record player, Tv whatever and uses amp to power speakers. It also has receiver for fm/am reception and transmits to speakers. Better question might be what’s a tape deck.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Me: “I’m gonna work in the garage this weekend”
    Wife: “oh good!” I can see her compiling a list of projects in her head immediately.
    Me: “I mean I’m going to work on my motorcycle in the garage this weekend”
    Wife: “Oh”.

Still learning the importance of communicating clearly and concisely.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-more-than-men

For the love of god, woman, take a breath once in a while.

At a guess I'd say she's 50% over the female average and I'm 50% under the male average. It's a constant torrent of syllables, a downpour of sound.

Isn't it? I

think Ms. MT = about average and I'm pretty far under the average. I often describe it as a "firehose of words." Her niece, though. JHC
    "Can't you see..."

Early in our marriage when I hadn't quite figured things out, one day I was pissed off about a coworker and told my wife when I came home "Jesus, Bob is a fucking dick. He did xyz."

She said something along the lines of "sorry to hear that, sit down and tell me about it," which I found kind of confusing - I thought about it and then said "What do you mean? I just did."

feelings dude
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    feelings dude
    Well yeah, I know that now, but that was back in my young and dumber days, before I knew that was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I bet he has everything to do with the cleanup. I’ve been through this movie.
    This man knows how its all gonna go down.

I read one time about someone who visited an uncontacted tribe in the Amazon. They said what was most striking was that the people never stopped talking--men and women both. From getting up to going to sleep there was constant chatter. I would not like to be a member of that tribe.

The gross misuse of kitchen utensils and appliance's in this thread is hilarious.

Just walked past my kitchen, there's a wusthof slicing knife next to two plates of cake, covered in foil. Looks like my wife divvied up some cake she made to give to the neighbor family. No cutting board in sight, plenty of other utensils to cut the cake with. Nope, she cut it right on the plate with a $100 knife.

And though we have disposable plastic food containers my other half will send food off to friends on one of our dishes, looks like she's got one loaded up as I type this.

FWIW she's normally pretty solid though.

When all is said and done, all the whining and mumbling faded away, I can put up with all the little quirks 10 times over when my sweetie spends over 2 hours cleaning the dog shit encrusted roomba (plus floors and rugs) ..... for the second time in 3 months. I am not worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    When all is said and done, all the whining and mumbling faded away, I can put up with all the little quirks 10 times over when my sweetie spends over 2 hours cleaning the dog shit encrusted roomba (plus floors and rugs) ..... for the second time in 3 months. I am not worthy.
    And whose fault is the dog shit encrusted roomba, and I don't mean the dog.

Jeezo ...... you're as bad as Roomba.

At the core of it, i think the problem is that my wife and i have a different understanding of when a task or job is complete. I believe that the a task or job isnt done until the task/job has been accomplished AND everything has been cleaned up and put back where it belongs. This applies to cooking, putting together furniture, cleaning, gardening, you name it. The task of undressing for the night? You guessed it, she manages to take off her day clothes and slip into PJs, but leaves the day clothes on the ground wherever she may have been standing at the time. Get home from skiing? dump all your wet shit in a pile in the corner of a closet and forget about it. Etc. I think this is the fundamental misunderstanding. She thinks cleanup is not associated with any task, and is its own task separately, whereas i think cleanup is the last step to every job/task i am involved with.

I think I can one up you here. Hurray for me.

What about cleaning up, after cleaning up? My s/o somehow makes things messier when she 'cleans'. Ei she'll vacuum the floors, but then leave the vacuum out. All the furniture she moved during the process? Yeah it's still out of place.

Putting away dishes? Ok, lets put some away, but stage others under the cupboard they're meant to go in.

Cleaning her car? Well, we'll just take all this accumulated shit out of the car and dump it in the garage somewhere. Done.

ugh

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    At the core of it, i think the problem is that my wife and i have a different understanding of when a task or job is complete. I believe that the a task or job isnt done until the task/job has been accomplished AND everything has been cleaned up and put back where it belongs. This applies to cooking, putting together furniture, cleaning, gardening, you name it. The task of undressing for the night? You guessed it, she manages to take off her day clothes and slip into PJs, but leaves the day clothes on the ground wherever she may have been standing at the time. Get home from skiing? dump all your wet shit in a pile in the corner of a closet and forget about it. Etc. I think this is the fundamental misunderstanding. She thinks cleanup is not associated with any task, and is its own task separately, whereas i think cleanup is the last step to every job/task i am involved with.
    Not sure if you have kids but if not and plan to, please know this trait gets passed on via DNA and it’s stronger than any counterpunch your DNA may contain.