How many days on a ski is appropriate?

Somewhat of a subjective question. How many days do you typically put on a ski, until getting something new? 100? I know this depends on how you treat your skis. I have about 70-80 days on a pair (in their second season now). They've had several core shots (repaired) and the edges don't feel as crisp.

Like you said, it depends.. if you are riding a good quality pair of freeride skis on groomers, 100 days is nothing. In that situation I'm sure they could last a thousand days, at least. If that's not how you ski, then you ski it til it breaks beyond repair.

I generally see no point in exchanging a ski that isn't broken. You can sharpen the edges.

I also consider it $/day. I feel OK about replacing a ski when the cost drops to about $5/day.

depends on skiing style, ski itself, conditions, etc...lots of factors.

I've put 200 days on pairs, and 50 days on others....
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Generally 50-100 days (2-4 seasons) but I tend to ride used gear.

I don't think I've ever sold skis because they were "used up." Usually, I just get bored and want something new and shiny.

High quality bindings can last decades.
    Last edited by skimaxpower; 02-02-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422906675.390815.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	163384

That's great, Mike. I've not seen that before, but it sums things up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    I don't think I've ever sold skis because they were "used up." Usually, I just get bored and want something new and shiny.
    This.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

^^^and carboney!
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Pow skis have always lasted as long as the technology stayed relevant. At this stage I have a pair of Alottas from 2006.
    As far as day to day inbounds skis I used to get a season of good use and a season of being a rock ski but that was when I worked in a shop and I'd grind the skis every time I fixed something big. Nowadays I'm on harder snow and I hand tune at home...so I never grind the ski unless I absolutely have to. My limiting factor seems to be edge life and delams. When I can't get a ski sharp anymore because I'm either running out of edge or it's been chewed up so much it won't ever be sharp again that ski is a rock ski and then it gets retired when it's not worth it to fix a big section of blown sidewall or something.

And bindings...I don't have a pair of bindings newer than 8-10 years. And a few of those are metal 997s from the early 90s.

if you have to ask, they still have plenty of life. when a ski is really worn out, there will be no question. modern ski construction is generally so good that even when you're skis look like beat up garbage, they probably still ski just fine. only time a ski really needs to be retired IMO is for edge pull out, delam, or suspected core rot - i.e. you pull out and you're pretty damn sure the mount wasn't the problem.

foam core skis would actually wear out and lose their camber and eventually start to decamber and ski like shit, usually long before the ski was trashed due to core shots/edge damage/delam, but thankfully nobody makes them anymore

I've noticed skis lose their "pop" and start to feel dead after about 200 days.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I've often wondered this myself. I have a pair of Scott p4's that have been so incredibly fun for years and suddenly this year they just feel dead. I would guess 200-250 days on em. I think maybe if I just drop the $50 or whatever it is and get a "professional tune" they would feel like new, but I'm cheap and tune everything myself. On the other hand, there is so much shiny new gear out there....
    Last edited by t-the-east; 02-02-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling

I skied my old gold gotamas until one snapped. In half. Perhaps that was one day, or maybe just one run too long. It was the ideal beater ski though, and those you just use and abuse till the snow covers everything. If you have the bank roll to buy the latest every season, it's not a bad idea to turn your quiver over every one or two years and get a good amount of your ski value back from a sale.

To answer the heart of your question though, it's usually turned over when the ski has been drilled too many times from binding swaps, or it breaks, or I feel like the ski has lost its mojo (usually meaning I suck again).

one day...now sell them to me

I still love my old gotamas. They're almost 9 years old now and have at least 200 days on them. The bummer is I recently ripped out the heelpiece and the wood inside looks pretty shot...but I'll probably helicoil them up and try getting a couple more seasons out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I still love my old gotamas. They're almost 9 years old now and have at least 200 days on them. The bummer is I recently ripped out the heelpiece and the wood inside looks pretty shot...but I'll probably helicoil them up and try getting a couple more seasons out of them.
    Yeah...my previous ski was the gold gotamas. I loved those. I love this ski too - the Influence 105. Such a great every day ski.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422906675.390815.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	163384
    Is it winter? Is it summer? Is it snowing? Will your wife/gf/roommate/landlord/dog beat you to a pulp if you bring just one more pair of skis home? ---> GET NEW SKIS! (even if you live in Tahoe)
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post
    Yeah...my previous ski was the gold gotamas. I loved those. I love this ski too - the Influence 105. Such a great every day ski.
    still rockin the tokyo nights gotama.... not retiring anytime soon.

As many days as it takes to find something better .....

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    still rockin the tokyo nights gotama.... not retiring anytime soon.
    Still rocking my 05/06 black buddha Gotamas. May they never die.

Side note, a large quiver prolongs ski life