Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SLC or VT

SLC or VT

Yes I know blasphemy. However, I have to make up my mind quickly. Was just in BCC 2.5 weeks ago. Looks like almost 0 snow since then. East coast is going off. I have trip to SLC this friday-monday. What do you weather guru's see as far as best chances for good snow and possibly deep turns. Should I cancel SLC and head to VT. Denver may be possible also. Help a mag make a decision here. I am heading to BCC again early April so I don't care about a change in scenery. I just want turns and snow. Thanks

If it tomorrow or tuesday Id say vermont, by friday though who know. Today the woods at stowe were descent and the groomer were blown/scraped off shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Yes I know blasphemy. However, I have to make up my mind quickly. Was just in BCC 2.5 weeks ago. Looks like almost 0 snow since then. East coast is going off. I have trip to SLC this friday-monday. What do you weather guru's see as far as best chances for good snow and possibly deep turns. Should I cancel SLC and head to VT. Denver may be possible also. Help a mag make a decision here. I am heading to BCC again early April so I don't care about a change in scenery. I just want turns and snow. Thanks
    Looks like alta forcast is calling for 7-15" next couple days with a slight chance of snow Friday-sat. January Is always a dry month in Utah, but I'd always put my chips down on UT over VT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...4#.VM6j8mjF98E

plenty of base out here, despite the drought. won't take much snow to make the skiing purdy good, and it looks like there's finally a bit on the way. resort riding should be decent and BC conditions could be surprisingly good if that forecast plays out.

This week is going to be entirely awesome with another 12" in VT.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Conflicting reports here. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    This week is going to be entirely awesome with another 12" in VT.

VT the last 2 days:

I look here for another source on weather for Utah skiing:

http://www.wasatchsnowforecast.com/

Good luck - looks like you will score good conditions either way

Slc. A dry day in slc beats the best day in vt.
    #HughConwayMatters

Thin cover. Vt looking tasty. Cock I ski both and I would beg to differ. A powder day in vt is way better then frozen reef in utah

Was in LCC last Thu/Friday - snow was not a "frozen coral reef". Had to hunt, but it was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

6-12 forecasted in the next 48 hrs for LCC, then it turns on again next Tuesday.

In case anyone cared, wasatch essentially skunked so Jackson/targhee it is.

The only thing I will contribute is that unless you know where to hunt, new snow gets eaten up even faster in the northeast (on the trails at least) than in places out west with more space. However, if you know your way around the woods, fresh lines can last for days out east. If you're going back out to UT, why not give N. Vt. a try?

snowbird at the end of 3 weeks with no snow is still better skiing than anything in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post

Is that somebody's abandoned driveway?

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    snowbird at the end of 3 weeks with no snow is still better skiing than anything in the east.
    The mountains here in utah are undoubtedly bigger and steeper than anything in Vermont. But the snow may not be any better this year. Per today's pace, solitude may struggle to hit 250 inches of snowfall. And it has mostly been warm, wet crap. Meanwhile, New England has been getting pasted with some big, cold storms. At the end of the year, Jay and Stowe will likely have had better snow years.

It fucking pissed rain at 7500 to 8000 feet last night. Sure, that was a couple inches of cascade concrete up high, but that is also the best precip we've had for a month. Let's not kid ourselves.

If I had to guess on some random day, I'd pick Utah every time. But the notion that UT skiing is always better than VT skiing is pretty damn ludicrous.
    Last edited by Danno; 02-04-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Supposed to snow again tomorrow (thurs) and then Saturday -Monday here on the east siiiide
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If I had to guess on some random day, I'd pick Utah every time. But the notion that UT skiing is always better than VT skiing is pretty damn ludicrous.
    Just saying the terrain options at Snowbird are a draw even without great snow.

We're a long fucking way from great snow. The choice right now may well be Wasatch terrain with shit coverage and shit snow vs. mellower terrain with good snow. That's really a matter of personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Is that somebody's abandoned driveway?
    It's your moms, no one had come by to plow her yet.

Heading to Magic on Saturday, two big snows since this video and more on the way. It's a tiny hill and I couldn't be more stoked to hang with a solid crew of maggots that want to hunt pow, drink beers, and jump off shit. I don't care if it was half the vert and half the snow in Iowa, I'd still have a good time.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Do you regularly snub fresh snow in the trees for refrozen alpine?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The mountains here in utah are undoubtedly bigger and steeper than anything in Vermont. But the snow may not be any better this year. Per today's pace, solitude may struggle to hit 250 inches of snowfall. And it has mostly been warm, wet crap. Meanwhile, New England has been getting pasted with some big, cold storms. At the end of the year, Jay and Stowe will likely have had better snow years.

It fucking pissed rain at 7500 to 8000 feet last night. Sure, that was a couple inches of cascade concrete up high, but that is also the best precip we've had for a month. Let's not kid ourselves.
    actually 3x that couple, wasn't cement and siver/days skied great as has the majority of my ski days so ya aint speakin for me
    its always easier to say it sucks than it is to go find that which don't
    care to place a hundred dollar bill on that endin w/ 250" weather guessin nonsense and puts it up or shuts it up?
    yad think you were here for the 8 hundo good old seasons
    ifin VT had

vt would be full of utardians including me
    not that do work scorin faceshots on 20 degree slopes don't make me smile
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Picked SLC and that seems like a good choice. Storm totals this week were 4" at Deer Valley, 5" a Park City and 8" at Alta. We found some nice powder runs at Alta off of Collins, Sunspot and Racecourse. Early lunch and we watched folks enjoying the East Greely. So a nice dusting in SLC on a much deeper base than Vt.

Even with the blizzards, Killington for same period was saying 9" storm total and a 30" base.

It's been spring skiing in February at SLC though. The snow we got was almost PNW vs. Wasatch snow and it's been really warm. Next two days are sunny and 40's on the slopes.

But all relative, bombing the long groomers and gorging on the great food at Deer Valley to hunting AM powder at Alta is light years from poor Hood and the warm rain.