Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SLC or VT

SLC or VT

Utah's Utah, but Magic Mt. was the Bugaboos Tuesday.

And in VT, you want to drink the local beer.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

It's TGR so I figured it would turn into a pissing match. However, now that the gauntlet has been thrown, I will says that I have been skiing UT for 26 seasons and multiple trips at that per year. I also grew up skiing VT so I have some perspective and will still fly to storm chase there as well. So with that being said, anyone who thinks 3-5 week old snow with mid 40 temps at snowbird is better then a powder cylce of epic proportions like they are having at Stowe, Smugglers, MRG or Jay is crazy or really has never skied those places. I love UT, hell i'm going back in April and was just there MLK week, but lets be honest, the conditions are sucking. Its the 3rd warmest winter on record with the 2nd lowest snow total ever. Thank god Targhee and Jackson are withing striking distance this year. I am actually concerned about the april trip now being that blocking pattern is setting up again next week. This weekend's disturbance is calling for Rain at some of the lower elevation bases. This year it just plain sucks. Yeah VT does have super steep cliffs and bowls, but it definately has snow the last few weeks.

notice the only people pissing are the ones who aren't skiing

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    It's TGR so I figured it would turn into a pissing match. However, now that the gauntlet has been thrown, I will says that I have been skiing UT for 26 seasons and multiple trips at that per year. I also grew up skiing VT so I have some perspective and will still fly to storm chase there as well. So with that being said, anyone who thinks 3-5 week old snow with mid 40 temps at snowbird is better then a powder cylce of epic proportions like they are having at Stowe, Smugglers, MRG or Jay is crazy or really has never skied those places. I love UT, hell i'm going back in April and was just there MLK week, but lets be honest, the conditions are sucking. Its the 3rd warmest winter on record with the 2nd lowest snow total ever. Thank god Targhee and Jackson are withing striking distance this year. I am actually concerned about the april trip now being that blocking pattern is setting up again next week. This weekend's disturbance is calling for Rain at some of the lower elevation bases. This year it just plain sucks. Yeah VT does have super steep cliffs and bowls, but it definately has snow the last few weeks.
    just cause you suck at finding the goods don't mean there aint goods to be had.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Just saying the terrain options at Snowbird are a draw even without great snow.
    No doubt. But I'll take skiing 15" of fresh in the Jay trees - with a quick break here or there to hit the short but gnar front face off the tram - over skiing hardpack at Snowbird, even if the terrain is "better" there. That doesn't mean I'm denigrating Utah skiing, it fucking rocks, but it's not like Vermont only has green groomers. And powder on fun terrain trumps hardpack on great terrain, imo.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Verrmont.

Well, a powder day down Anarchy, Julio and the Throne CAN be pretty good if your in VT, but I'd go west. Cottonwoods are tough to beat for historical odds.

I'm surprised Greg from AZ hasn't weighed in yet.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Hells yah. And more VT refills last night.

20 below in the morning in beautiful Vermont. Yeah, that's fun. Remember, cover all exposed flesh, kiddies.

total sleeper at Kmart, today.
    no one there, under-reported on the snow totals.
    10-12 of blower on top of a fat, soft base, and sunshine. wut?
    skiers right on lower Oviaton$$$
    it was wicked good!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    actually 3x that couple, wasn't cement and siver/days skied great as has the majority of my ski days so ya aint speakin for me
    its always easier to say it sucks than it is to go find that which don't
    care to place a hundred dollar bill on that endin w/ 250" weather guessin nonsense and puts it up or shuts it up?
    I'll put a 6er on it. 100 bucks is too rich for my blood. Let's go ski some time. Skiing is always better than not skiing, even if our snow is not on par with ski butternut.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    just cause you suck at finding the goods don't mean there aint goods to be had.
    Just cause VT had a good couple of days doesn't mean anyone was yelling UTAH SUCKS!

(Except for beer)

Looking forward to TC's newest pics since they just got another 12" in his backyard.

Benny, how's the retirement? Did you get your first day on skis this year yet?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

In case you cared. Vermont was the better choice. Saturday was rain and blowing warm wind in Jackson. Mid50s made for spring mank with too many people for too few lifts. Targhee Sunday was wind blown and frozen reef Sunday but softened up nicely for great afternoon turns. Stayed cooler. Monday 9th was frozen graupel in bcc changed to snow and made it tolerable, but damn the canyon is bare. Hoping the ridge breaks down or we will be mountain biking in April instead of skiing.

SLC or VT

I was in Stowe all weekend and it did not stop snowing. First year in a dozen without a Utah trip on presidents week. Happy to be In Vt.

Posted this in Magic thread. My youngest at Magic yesterday. He was up there skiing with maggots all day while I worked and cleared snow today.

Happy birthday first chair for do work and my kid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423525040.180983.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	163754

Seriously, wtf is the matter with people in the NE? Cold, grey skies, rude assholes, these fucking annoying things called moguls or some shit, pussy ass cities that close down everything and will ticket/arrest you for going outside based on a wintery forecast (during actual winter).NE sucks balls! Everyone Go West!

#HughConwayMatters

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'm surprised Greg from AZ hasn't weighed in yet.
    Too busy skiing pow at K-Mart.

In case you cared. Vermont was the better choice. Saturday was rain and blowing warm wind in Jackson. Mid50s made for spring mank with too many people for too few lifts. Targhee Sunday was wind blown and frozen reef Sunday but softened up nicely for great afternoon turns. Stayed cooler. Monday 9th was frozen graupel in bcc changed to snow and made it tolerable, but damn the canyon is bare. Hoping the ridge breaks down or we will be mountain biking in April instead of skiing.
    Not surprised. I've been skiing knee deep lines at Stowe and in the backcountry for a few weeks now. It is our best season in years, without a doubt.

It is possible, folks, that the skiing is enjoyable in both locations, Utah AND Vermont. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post

It is possible, folks, that the skiing is enjoyable in both locations, Utah AND Vermont. Just sayin'...
    Yeah Utahs skiing alright...it aint the "epic Utah" season but heck the base aint bad and like Jerry said "you just gotta poke around". You'll find the goods. Its wont be deep but it will be fun.

I will say, though, that since moving to Utah 7 years ago this is the first time i wished i was in VT.

I'll take Utah's terrain in any snow condition over the East in powder, any day. That's just me though.

Im un-informed about New England skiing, but......with all that pow, do you have enough angle of slope to go downhill? Dont know how light the snow is in New England but mucho new snow on low angled terrain doesnt always add up to fun

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I'll take Utah's terrain in any snow condition over the East in powder, any day. That's just me though.
    Well, seeing as how offended some people get when it's suggested that at some particular point in time, skiing might be better in VT than UT, it's not just you. But I think you're nuts for thinking that. Even though I live out West in large part because the skiing is so much better here.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Im un-informed about New England skiing, but......with all that pow, do you have enough angle of slope to go downhill? Dont know how light the snow is in New England but mucho new snow on low angled terrain doesnt always add up to fun
    Yes, you are uninformed about New England skiing. There is plenty of terrain that is not by any stretch of the imagination "low angle". There may not be Snowbird 50+ steeps, but there are plenty of 30+ slopes and some 40+ slopes as well. Plenty steep to ski powder, as 30+ is more or less the minimum benchmark for a "black" run out West. And they can get light snow; the real problem with Vermont skiing isn't steepness or snow density, it's consistency of weather. In Colorado, if it snows 2 feet on a mid-winter Tuesday, you can be pretty sure that you'll have soft skiing the following weekend. In Vermont, if it snows 2 feet on a mid-winter Tuesday, you better be there for it, because it might rain on Thursday and re-freeze on Friday (obviously, none of this seems to apply to this winter!). That's not to say that it matches steepness or snow density of most Western resorts, just that there are steep runs to be found and sometimes light powder to be found.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post

this a lift served BC run. whats funny is someone quipped the other day that is was someone driveway in pictures posted by thin cover.

this is tons of inbounds woods shots at Stowe.