Heliskiing anniversary

Heli Ski Anniversary
    For the last three years I have done in-depth research on the early days of helicopter skiing. I have always wondered who was the first. Who started all the fun. I'm currently waiting to see if one magazine will publish my article.

Today is the 67th anniversary of the invention of helicopter skiing. On this date in 1948 Lewis Williams was the visionary of Aero Surveys LTD, of Vancouver BC, that launched a helicopter into the mountains with skiers aboard. Paul Ostrander was the pilot at the controls.

We owe a lot to these guys for inventing helicopter skiing.

So, tonight raise a glass and toast these guys.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Interested to read your article. Thanks for posting HS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm working hard on getting it published.

L'chaim!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Tomorrow is the 71st anniversary of the invention of helicopter skiing; the best invention since Irish Coffee. ;-) Check out my heliskiing history website at www.heliskihistory.com

I know that Alyeska had heli skiing commercially in the early 1950s. Pre lifts.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I know that Alyeska had heli skiing commercially in the early 1950s. Pre lifts.
    Yes, your correct. There is a link on the history essay to 8 mm movie footage of heliskiing in 1957. Check it out.

I almost forgot the other days (May 14th) was the anniversary of Didier Delsalle's landing of a B3 Astar helicopter on the summit of Mount Everest (29,029'). He held the helicopter on the summit for 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    We owe a lot to these guys for inventing helicopter skiing.
    Really!? For what, creating an activity that is economically prohibitive to 95% of the population?

Tonight I will burn a doobie for all the dirtbags who have to walk to the top.

I almost forgot the other days (May 14th) was the anniversary of Didier Delsalle's landing of a B3 Astar helicopter on the summit of Mount Everest (29,029'). He held the helicopter on the summit for 3 minutes and 50 seconds.
    Just looked this up. He flew a stock AStar with the back seats removed, catching an updraft to carry him up there. Absolutely nuts

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Really!? For what, creating an activity that is economically prohibitive to 95% of the population?

Tonight I will burn a doobie for all the dirtbags who have to walk to the top.
    Sorry to shit in your Cheerios Kirby.

I know a lot of “dirtbags,” that have saved up to go heliskiing. Some ate just cheese sandwiches for a year to afford a heliski trip.

If you want to do something in life it's up to you to make it happen; weather its climbing to a summit or going heliskiing.

Sorry to shit in your Cheerios Kirby.

I know a lot of “dirtbags,” that have saved up to go heliskiing. Some ate just cheese sandwiches for a year to afford a heliski trip.

If you want to do something in life it's up to you to make it happen; weather its climbing to a summit or going heliskiing.
    It’s so true! Some people don’t get they don’t have to be losers. Make your life happen and quit your crying, no one else is going to make it happen for you.

Today is the 67th anniversary of the invention of helicopter skiing. On this date in 1948 Lewis Williams was the visionary of Aero Surveys LTD, of Vancouver BC, that launched a helicopter into the mountains with skiers aboard. Paul Ostrander was the pilot at the controls.
    1948 !!!
    All in and on primitive gear by today's standards. Especially the helicopter!