Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me pick my One Ski Quiver for Colorado Resort Skiing

Hi, I am an Advanced skier (not expert) looking to buy a pair of skies to be used inside the ropes of Colorado Resorts. I mostly spend my days skiing blk or dbl black diamond runs no matter the snow (most times that means crud and lots of bumps) and love to hang out on the less traveled areas of the ski areas (trees). Of course if there is deep snow I am there but resort powder is somewhat rare as of late and when it comes it does not last long obviously. In short I generally like steep terrain but ski it in a controlled manner.

I tend to vary my style of skiing depending on conditions and while I can carve and sometimes go on the groomers it is not my preference. I sometimes go at higher speeds if conditions are decent and there is space (say 40 mph max or so). In the trees and moguls I go medium to slow if its tight.

I have been using wider and wider skis the past few years and overall have liked the 100mm range.

I recently used a Rossignol Soul 7 for a week and liked it BUT it felt somewhat scary at higher speeds on harder snow or even chopped up snow. The tips chattered like crazy. I got it into powder once and it was smooth but hey untracked colorado powder is always smooth! It felt easy to ski everywhere IF I kept it slow and centered. Up on edge it was way too soft IMHO. Tried the Sin 7 and it was softer and less stable IMHO. Skis already had a few nicks and were pretty new. They looked and felt thin. I would like something more durable. I could tell why the Sin and specially the Soul 7 are so popular but they felt too soft for my taste and did not feel durable at all.

I used a Kendo (2011 model) for a few trips the years prior and liked it on hard snow but on powder it did not work great.

Also used an Armada TST (2012/2013) mostly in powder. It was fantastic in powder (backcountry, untracked) but as soon as I got into harder snow the tips felt way too soft and chattery.

I for got to add I weight 185 lb and am 6'-2". Been skiing for 20 years about 20 days a season. Hoping to increase that number. I am 41 yrs old and ride my road bike about 5,000 miles a year so I am in decent shape. Yes I love to ride.

Kinda tired of renting and/or borrowing skis so am looking to buy a pair.

Been looking at a bunch of reviews and got really interested in the Blizzard Cochise 185. Was recommended the Bonafide 180 by a few people also. I know, popular choices. I tend to prefer skis with some tail and tip rocker for the off trail terrain that I love.

Any recommendations are welcome. Thx guys.
    Last edited by MuchosPixels; 01-29-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchosPixels View Post
    Stop riding your bike so much and learn how to spell "skis." "Skies" are where snow used to fall from.

Help me pick my One Ski Quiver for Colorado Resort Skiing

I love my 4Frnt Turbos (discontinued) for daily driver in CO. The Devastators replaced them and sound great too. They are great on groomers, soft snow and in deep powder/chop.

Others: Line SFB (maybe too soft), Volkl Katana, ON3P Jeffery, Icelantic Nomad Rkr, Salomon Rocker 108...

Have heard the Cochise are great.

Praxis GPO would be my one ski Colorado Quiver, very pleased with mine. Nimble charger describes it pretty well. Will not have the speed limit like the Super 7 at all, the standard fiberglass layup is awesome in crud and chop and deflects very little if at all. Does great in our trees and bumps, can turn very quickly. Awesome in powder. Comfortable with a wide range of turn types. Fun on groomers as well, holds a nice edge and can carve.

I'm 5'9 185lbs, I went with the 187cm, med/stiff flex, standard fiberglass layup. I could have gone longer perhaps, but for a one ski quiver I'd definitely say go 187.

I have the GPO in a 192 and I would never consider it a one ski quiver... You must always get a lot of snow where you ski...! And I am 6'4" and 210 lbs and that is why I rock the 192...

Kartels??
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

187 in length, 104-110 underfoot, tip rocker, slight camber, minimal tail rocker,mid 20's turn radius. Many skis for this criteria. Find a few that intrigue you and demo them if you can.

With that said, I skied the pm gear 187 fats last year at 114 under foot as my one ski quiver. Loved that ski. I did replace it with a 2 ski quiver this year and am super stoked. My skinny ski is a 186 Vicik tour at 106 underfoot and just love that ski in snow up to 10", although I normally reach for the Lhasa fats for anything over 6".
    Many options are going to be presented. Good luck on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I have the GPO in a 192 and I would never consider it a one ski quiver... You must always get a lot of snow where you ski...! And I am 6'4" and 210 lbs and that is why I rock the 192...
    To each their own. I was also partly going off his reference to soul 7 and that width category. And I guess the GPO is a ski I take out when their is fresh and soft snow- but it has not dissapointed on hard pack and I've been pulling it out for days with less snow than when I first got it (not much snow falling recently). If there's no new snow or just a couple inches I do still take out my jeronimos though.

Praxis mvp, on3p jeffrey 114, line sfb (little soft perhaps), Kartel 106 even would also do well, lots of choices
    Last edited by Muggydude; 01-29-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    To each their own. I was also partly going off his reference to soul 7 and that width category. And I guess the GPO is a ski I take out when their is fresh and aft snow- but it has not dissapointed on hard pack and I've been pulling it out for days with less snow than when I first got it (not much snow falling recently). If there's no new snow I do still take out my jeronimos though.

Praxis mvp, on3p jeffrey 114, line sfb (little soft perhaps), Kartel 106 even would also do well, lots of choices
    Soul 7 is 105 underfoot and therefore not really similar to the GPO at all...

Note: I am heavily biased towards handmade USA made skis and my recommendations will reflect that.

If you like the shape of a more new school, centered mount, tail rockered ski (like the TST): ON3P Jeffrey 114, ON3P Kartel 106, Praxis MVP, Icelantic Nomad RKR

If you like a more traditionally shaped, directional ski (like the Kendo): Praxis Freeride, ON3P Wrenegade 102

Moment Deathwish. Answer delivered.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Kartels??
    ^^^ 106 seems a good one ski quiver!

Whoops- was thinking about the super 7. My bad.... long day. If OP ia looking for one ski quiver at ~105-110 Kartel 106 is worth a gander for sure. If you like more new school style skis, like adrenelated mentioned. I have not found a speed limit on my Jeronimos (narrower Kartel pretty much), can handle most of the mountain well. Float isn't that great in my experience, but I'm at a short length for those, and that comes with the category as well.

Still stand by GPO as a fun fat ski that can handle most conditions well. Especially if you're the type who heads up mostly when there is good snow falling.
    Last edited by Muggydude; 01-29-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchosPixels View Post

If your skiing the front range I'd probably go with the 187 Bone, but the Cochise's would work just as well since you seek out the soft.

If you wait two weeks, Minimum Advertised Price expires and some of the Cali shops will start blowing out their stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If your skiing the front range I'd probably go with the 187 Bone, but the Cochise's would work just as well since you seek out the soft.

If you wait two weeks, Minimum Advertised Price expires and some of the Cali shops will start blowing out their stock.
    this year and next year Cochsie with camber underfoot actually are fun on hardpack as well with out taking away their slarviness in tight spots.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

Sweet. Il be on the lookout for reduce prices. Saw an SIA preview and Blizzard did not change much on the Cochise. Made the tips (and the ski) lighter by using carbon. There might be other minor changes but overall should ski similar than the outgoing model.

187 mvp.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    this year and next year Cochsie with camber underfoot actually are fun on hardpack as well with out taking away their slarviness in tight spots.....
    ^The Blue ones from this year are exactly that.
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

Salomon... rocker2 100 if you want a bit more playful, Q98 if you want a little more traditional / more camber.

I demo'd both recently and really like both (along with some offerings from Blizzard, including the Bonafide), but I liked the rocker2 100 enough to buy a pair full retail the following week... which I really don't do.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Anyone with extensive experience on the older and new version of the cochise?

Why so many recommendations on skis over 100 mm underfoot for a one ski quiver for CO resort skiing? I would think something between 90-100 mm underfoot would be ideal. Just curious not calling anyone out, I've never skied in CO. Are there that many powder days there?

Blizzard Peacemaker
    Much more confidence inspiring than the the Soul 7, skis groomers, crud, bumps, and soft stuff all well and predictably.
    Underrated ski.

Moment PB&J's? Blister Gear really props them as a true one-ski-quiver. I have them in the 182 and they are incredibly versatile. I would get them in the 188 if they were my only ski. But they float well enough for deeper days, pivot ridiculously quickly, great in the bumps and trees. The only caveat is when they are completely flat with speed on out runs, etc... But there will be a weakness with any one ski.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...nt-pbj-188cm-2

Quote Originally Posted by Magnoe View Post
    Moment PB&J's? Blister Gear really props them as a true one-ski-quiver. I have them in the 182 and they are incredibly versatile. I would get them in the 188 if they were my only ski. But they float well enough for deeper days, pivot ridiculously quickly, great in the bumps and trees. The only caveat is when they are completely flat with speed on out runs, etc... But there will be a weakness with any one ski.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...nt-pbj-188cm-2
    I have a pair of 182cm for sale, and I'm in the front range if interested. Mounted once with Sth14 at recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    187 mvp.
    x2.

Next year's cochise sounds like what you are looking for. If you are looking for something that is going to be a tighter carver that can make more slalom type turns go with the line suoernatural 108.
    Go Sox!