View Poll Results: Which logo sucks the least?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • mountains + tracks

14 22.95%
  • skier + rugged mountains

17 27.87%
  • skier + rounded mountains

30 49.18%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which logo do you like best? Feedback appreciated.

The logo will be used on our website, emails, tees, hats, coozies, and stickers.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backcountry-Racks-freeskier-&-skier-0514.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	163154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backcountry Freeskier transparent medium.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	163155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCF_logo_white.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	163156  
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Blue sucks the least

but none of them feel particularly successful

#backtothedrawingboard

I can't say I'm particularly fond of the skier shouldering the skis. I like the mountain and tracks most, but maybe use clip art of some skier ripping a line.

Employ a good artist. Those blow. Look 100% high school yearbook staff quality.

I wasn't impressed til I looked in full resolution. I like the skier/rugged mountains, although the proportions are kinda funny. I find the color tones in the blue kinda meh, and the abstract lines down the mountain not as immediately obvious as they should be.

If the skier isn't skinning (hard to represent in a silhouette), then the skis should, at least, be strapped to his pack, not slung over the shoulder. Nobody looks like a back country skier with skis over the shoulder. I voted for C, the blue one, but not really into any of them all that much.

Yeah, not too crazy about the skier shouldering skis... I mean it's not "occasional out o bounds boot pack free-skier". The other one didn't sing to me either, but it was least offensive
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Mountain + tracks for the win. Simple and effective. don't listen to these other kooks, I've an arts degree from a reputable online learning center

Also not a big fan of any of them. Somebody else said it but the proportions of the skier to the mtn in the first one are awkward and I don't like the last two at all. Get ride of the skier in the first (black and white one) and it'd get my vote. Or start over. If you could portray someone skinning it might look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by phallic-menace View Post
    Mountain + tracks for the win. Simple and effective. don't listen to these other kooks, I've an arts degree from a reputable online learning center
    Exactly. You're not an artist and never will be. Simple and effective? More like click click oh that looks good. They all suck.

Is a freeskier what you call one of those volunteer lifties at small hills who gets a free lift ticket after liftyin' for a couple hours?

They're all awful. Hire a graphic designer. If you already did, then fire your graphic designer.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Is your website backcountry freeskier.com or backcountryfreeskier.com? Only 1 is a real website and that's what should be on your logo unless you're gonna drop the dotcom.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Rod,

I am an artist and have been for quite some time. My latest body of work was exhibited at the local retirement village. Whilst primarily using crayon on paper as my medium I can evoke emotional response from even the most socially inept humans.

I like the first one. Skis over the shoulder is something everyone does, frontcountry, sidecountry, backcountry, whatever. Trying to show someone on skins will limit your market.

FYI mtskier and his business are awesome. I have bought things from him, very standup guy.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The "F" reminds me of the "Flylow" logo
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

THIS:

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    If the skier isn't skinning (hard to represent in a silhouette), then the skis should, at least, be strapped to his pack, not slung over the shoulder. Nobody looks like a back country skier with skis over the shoulder...
    and probably this:

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Is your website backcountry freeskier.com or backcountryfreeskier.com? Only 1 is a real website and that's what should be on your logo unless you're gonna drop the dotcom.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    #backtothedrawingboard

Coming up with a shorter name would be a good start in order to do a better logo. Not being so visually literal on the logo would help too. We all know what backcountry skiing is without seeing it. Although we have no idea what your business is exactly. And finally, you posted some T-Shirt designs, not a clean simple business logo that would fit on essential business stuff. The entire thought process is misguided I think.

I have a good friend that does incredible illustrations. I could send you his info or just his website if you want. All I need in return is a free coozie

Which logo do you like best? Feedback appreciated.

The font is really weak. You should def go with something a little more elegant for the font or maybe even rugged/elegant. I like the middle one the best, but i would not have the space between the two words. The way its laid out looks really weird and off balance.

The concept of the mountains and tracks is cool, but the execution is weak. Rather than have a bunch of peaks and each one with it's own track (btw the tracks dont really curve well either) why not tighten it up with a small cluster of peaks (like one or two mountains) and 1 really sick line. Kinda like something you can imagine yourself riding. Inspire some mind surf. Right now it seems like the design is just trying to accommodate the length of the URL.

I dunno, my 0.2$. And fwiw, I'm a designer.... So there.
    27° 18°

sorry but ugh. Of those ones, get rid of the skier, it thows it off and it just looks out of place.

Your business name doesn't include the .com does it? If yes, why? And if not why is it in your logo? Your biz card etc will have the website. Every business (should) has a website, it's a no brainer to add .com to the name to find it. Or there's google. Adding the .com with that design sounds like you just discovered the interwebs.

Don't build the graphic size around the logo like that. A good designer will be able to incorporate an image with your name properly. And it will give you a professional look. That size and shape you posted will be hard to use on your various materials at different sizes.

You don't want 'which sucks the least', you want 'which communicates effectively'. I have no idea what you do from that logo aside from ski something.

Start over, get a pro. Not an artist, an actual graphic designer. If you can't afford one, well, just start again. Try for something more square or at least not so wide. Think about how it will print on a business card. At least put backcountry and freeskier on separate lines.

I did a logo redesign/rebrand last year. It's a process.

A backcountry skier shouldering his skis and NOT wearing a pack? That guy looks like he's walking from the cafeteria to the ski lift!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Of the 4, the shocker logo is the best

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    The font is really weak. You should def go with something a little more elegant for the font or maybe even rugged/elegant. I like the middle one the best, but i would not have the space between the two words. The way its laid out looks really weird and off balance.

The concept of the mountains and tracks is cool, but the execution is weak. Rather than have a bunch of peaks and each one with it's own track (btw the tracks dont really curve well either) why not tighten it up with a small cluster of peaks (like one or two mountains) and 1 really sick line. Kinda like something you can imagine yourself riding. Inspire some mind surf. Right now it seems like the design is just trying to accommodate the length of the URL.

I dunno, my 0.2$. And fwiw, I'm a designer.... So there.
    ^x2