Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waxing skis in advance - predicting the unpredictable

Next Tues I'm headed to UT for the month. I'm waxing/tuning skis now. Once I'm there there's no realistic hope whatever of waxing and anyway I can't stand paying people to do it. After all, tune your own fucking skis so it's now or never. Bringing fat skis and eastern hardpack busters too, based on this months lack of snow.

So here's the question: what wax would you use if you were doing it now? I'm thinking purple (-2 to -8C). Next colder is blue (-6 to -12C). Don't be a JONG and tell that prewaxing is a JONGish. I'm not waiting, doing it this instant - just as NY gets more snow than UT got all month. (WTF?? )

If only there was some sort of "all-temp" wax

Unless you're Bode Fucking Miller, and it makes a difference, just get some Swix Lo-Fluoro Universal. Bingo. If you want specific range, you can spend more.

http://www.tognar.com/swix-f4-univer...uoro-wax-180g/
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Unless you're Bode Fucking Miller, and it makes a difference, just get some Swix Lo-Fluoro cold range. Bingo.
    I'm pretty fucking far from Bode Miller.. Fluoro waxes are wasted on me, too expensive. And I already got the purple and blue ande few others too. What will happen is that I'll get out there and be perfectly happy, regardless of what's on the skis. I realize that. But I might as well try to guess at the target. That's as good as it's going to get.

I mix the two and have great luck. Usually faster on the flats than most except the tuners.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Makes sense I guess. So it's mix FTW. Done!

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I mix the two and have great luck. Usually faster on the flats than most except the tuners.
    I have had good luck with the colder wax along the edges and warmer (softer) wax along the middle. They mix while ironing, but leads to a slightly more durable wax job.

Blue on your powder skis, dry powder is abrasive so you'll want the harder wax. Purple on your carvers because you'll be pulling them out on bluebird days when it hasn't snowed in a few days and is likely to be warm as shit, because it's Utah.

If I was waxing these two pairs to take I would have gone blue on the powder skis and pink/red on the carvers.

It's not too late. Pow skis will get blue right now. OK, carvers get pink. That way it pretty much guarantees that it will be too cold for pink to be ideal, thereby ensuring more time on pow skis.

This, because it's by far the most durable wax I've ever used and pretty damn fast at all temps >really fucking cold: http://www.slidewright.com/briko-map...wax-250-gr.php

If you're only going to wax those carvers once in a month of skiing, you may want to do a pink/purple blend. Harder waxes are a little more durable, so that will extend the life of that wax job.

Live here in ut. Haven't tuned or waxed my skis in well over a season. You racing? Just put all temp on em. Youll be fine.

Blue always runs well midwinter. But seriously, you're wayyy overthinking it
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

It's utah, ski your big skis every day. When in doubt wax cold...hard wax is a fuckload faster in warm snow than soft wax is in cold snow.

Generally, the more you repeat wax/scrape/brush/ski cycles with more durable (harder) waxes over softer prep waxes to saturate the bases, the longer later waxings will last. This will reduce the frequency needed for a good glide in broader ranges. The snow abrasiveness will also come in to play and softer waxes will come off quicker.

As mentioned, the Briko-Maplus Race base medium is an excellent and durable 'universal' that can typically last a week in Utah, Colorado, etc with soft to moderately abrasive snows. The Briko-Maplus Universal Red has some added BP1 Green (super hard) this year to increase it's durability and snow temperature range (not air temperature) at a better price point and is still very durable.

For those who aren't lazy and wish for a better performance glide on your expensive skis or snowboards during your expensive trip, a little bit of extra effort will bump the enjoyment while protecting your bases. A couple good resources to really dial it in are the Briko-Maplus waxing manual and Toko waxing manual. Both are generally durable and good valued wax lines for those who appreciate performance with less time and effort.

EDIT: OP, why won't you be able to find time to rewax over the course of a month?
    Last edited by Alpinord; 01-27-2015 at 07:19 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Blue on your powder skis, dry powder is abrasive so you'll want the harder wax. Purple on your carvers because you'll be pulling them out on bluebird days when it hasn't snowed in a few days and is likely to be warm as shit, because it's Utah.

If I was waxing these two pairs to take I would have gone blue on the powder skis and pink/red on the carvers.
    This, I also like to carry a small block of low floro for those parking lot cork jobs.
    watch out for snakes

Go to Goodwill and buy a $5 dress iron, wax every night.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Wax your asshole and forget about waxing your skis, you probably won't notice until you take a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by SkreeDaProw View Post
    If only there was some sort of "all-temp" wax
    WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT!!!!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

People who claim they wax their skis once a season or that waxing regularly doesn't make a difference in glide are full of shit. Wax every 2-4 ski days if you can. It makes a major difference, particularly in the spring.

People who claim they wax their skis once a season or that waxing regularly doesn't make a difference in glide are full of shit. Wax every 2-4 ski days if you can. It makes a major difference, particularly in the spring.
    for me its no claim..im fucking cheap and lazy...dont have a station at home to do home waxing and dont like paying for it...im sure in the long run it effects the life of the ski (maybe), but otherwise i dont notice the difference til spring. I agree on spring. I still havent waxed em for spring, but i do notice the drag when the snow is sticky.

Full on winter though I find little need.

SVST - Zupr-Tour rub on wax works pretty well. Works extra specially well in wet spring resort conditions.

Swix - Marathon pretty much is a all temp wax. It's a HF, long distance wax for cross country skiing being marketed for warm temperatures, but it's fast in colder temps too. Very hard and very durable.

Edit: It's also very pricy and me personally don't justify it apart from when summer skiing.

Makes a huge difference on traverses. Helps in Spring conditions, and also with really cold, dry snow. Waxed my buddy's snowboard and it was thirsty so I gave it 2 coats. He glided past me.
    Also, it's therapeutic or some shit.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Generally, the more you repeat wax/scrape/brush/ski cycles with more durable (harder) waxes over softer prep waxes to saturate the bases, the longer later waxings will last. This will reduce the frequency needed for a good glide in broader ranges. The snow abrasiveness will also come in to play and softer waxes will come off quicker.

As mentioned, the Briko-Maplus Race base medium is an excellent and durable 'universal' that can typically last a week in Utah, Colorado, etc with soft to moderately abrasive snows. The Briko-Maplus Universal Red has some added BP1 Green (super hard) this year to increase it's durability and snow temperature range (not air temperature) at a better price point and is still very durable.

For those who aren't lazy and wish for a better performance glide on your expensive skis or snowboards during your expensive trip, a little bit of extra effort will bump the enjoyment while protecting your bases. A couple good resources to really dial it in are the Briko-Maplus waxing manual and Toko waxing manual. Both are generally durable and good valued wax lines for those who appreciate performance with less time and effort.

EDIT: OP, why won't you be able to find time to rewax over the course of a month?
    First, I'm lazy. But the main reason is that I'm staying with a buddy and he's got no good place to do it. And I'm much to cheap and lazy to take them to a shop to get it done. I have chosen the 'wax your own fucking skis' lifestyle, so if I can't do it then it doesn't get done.

Regardless, lots of good advice. I started waxing/tuning a few years ago after 40 years of ignoring it. Really does make a difference on runouts and when it gets warm. Ditto on eastern hardpack aka "ice."