Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have a pair of Jaybirds Bluebuds X that I use for running, after being recommended them by some acquaintances. I'm not super impressed with them, but they're better than my old Motorola SD-10H headset. My main gripe is that the buds don't actually stay down in my ear holes, just sort of rest on the outside of them. They're held in place by rubber fins which rest on your ear lobe, and by weight of the wire going over the top of your ear. So the audio quality isn't super great, despite being marketed as having good quality. On the plus side though, you actually get a fair amount of surrounding noise, raising situational awareness. However, while I haven't had them fall out running, they don't FEEL secure, and I'd be worried about them getting disturbed by the collar of a jacket, branches, etc.

I never bring headphones backcountry, partly because I enjoy the silence, but also because I'm lazy as fuck and never load music onto my phone, just stream Pandora.

This is by far the best place to buy earbuds:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10823

I have an older pair of these, and while they don't have controls on the cable, they do kill it in every other category, for a top-notch price:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I love my bose sport earbuds. They stay in and don't seal out outside sounds. I usually never ski with earbuds so I can hear my partner but I've started to wear these skiing more and more because they let in some sound

Just my 2 cents, but skiing and WO's are two completely different endeavors. I like the skull candy icons for skiing generally, BC I hang em on my chest straps, resort I hang em on my head. I would look at the new skull candy WO stuff for gym stuff if you don't want to spend $$$ but, JBirds for sure if you have the coin
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

The other nice thing about a portable bluetooth speaker is there great in the yurt for the apre ski party.

etymotic sound really good to my ears, I've got a discontinued model that have held up really well. current equivalent example here. good for the slog.

these bluetooth earbuds sound pretty nice

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/wireles...public-shadow/

I've had each generation of the Jaybirds and currently use the X's under the helmet.

The freedoms are nice for helmetless high aerobic activities.

Staying in place and allowing you to control the ambient sound levels can be enhanced with these: http://www.complyfoam.com/

Tried the skullcandy setup for the smith helmets and didn't get along with them at all.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Three years later, I'm bumping this thread for similar recs.

I have 4 or 5 different buds and none stay in my ears when running, stair climbing, etc. I don't care much about sound quality or much of anything, I just want:

* Stays in my ear while running
    * Cheap (because I already have a bunch)

Whatcha got?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Ive been using these for years. https://www.target.com/p/philips-ear...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cheap and stays in ear when wearing in opposite ear to marking upside down.

Adding these goofy things to apple ear buds prevents them from falling out while jogging and stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Earhoox-2-0-A.../dp/B01MXMTELG

I don't use these (yet), but I seem them pretty regularly around the gym and such. Bluetooth avoids the cord, which is nice for the gym...obviously at the expense of sound quality. Just bought my dad a pair and played with them for a few minutes -- I bet they'd stay in for running.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by auvgeek; 05-15-2018 at 07:57 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Ive been using these for years. https://www.target.com/p/philips-ear...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have been using a pair similar to these for a long time also and they've worked well for skiing/cycling.

Probably going to replace them with a bluetooth set though to get rid of the cord.
    The Sheriff is near!

Bose SoundSport Wireless and SoundSport In-ear will stay in your ears while participating in most any sport with excellent sound quality. Durability seems average, but I treat them gently so can't say how well they'll hold up carrying them in a pants pocket on a regular basis. Little pricy though.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Skullcandy sport stuff is legit, I use a wired earbud (method I think) to ski with and those things never come out, sound excellent, super durable and I’m pretty sure I picked em up for under $30 in a pinch. Anything happens to those and I’d probably swing for the Bluetooth version

Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I’ve been personally using a pair of these for about 5 years now and have sold maybe a dozen pair.

https://www.starkey.com/-/media/Prod...z-Brochure.pdf

They are on the pricey side as well. I have the musician trio B. They sound great and they stay put. I can’t remember exactly but I think they were just a bit north of $800 wholesale. I didn’t pay that. They were given to me as a gift from a sales rep.

I bought a pair of the solo version for my little brother to thank him for helping me out with my sprinkler system. He uses them all the time and loves them. They were about $200

Depending on your needs they are nice because they function as ear plugs for sound isolation. That may or may not be good.

I’ve done a few of the Bragi Pro tailored versions for patients and they have liked them. The ability to make them passive or not to outside sound is nice. Again on the pricey side.

https://www.bragi.com/
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

I don't know if someone's already thrown this out there, but some of the bone conduction options are tits, and fit most of your criteria. I picked mine up specifically so I can hear traffic on long road rides (ear canals are kept clear). Sound quality is acceptable, and there is NO way they are going to come off your head if you don't want them to. I picked up the aftershokz (Dumb name), they're light, wireless, and work great.

Quote Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
    I clip an external blue tooth speaker on me or my pack, that way everyone can enjoy it on the way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesystemsplit View Post
    You sure everyone "enjoys" your music
    This was a letter to the editor in the Whistler Newspaper.

BAN MUSIC SPEAKERS ON THE MOUNTAINS
    I want an immediate ban for next season.
    I am enraged by inconsiderate users of the mountains that bring radios and speakers playing gangster beats, rap or rock to ski and ride. It is positively insulting and shows quite a lack of respect for the people around them.
    These musical wizards have no regard for anyone else's peaceful use and enjoyment of the mountain pumping out their loud bass in lines and on the chairlift. It's a public place of use and enjoyment. If you want to play music, do it in your own home, your own patio, your own boat.
    This needs to be a very adamant and clear policy of the mountains.
    It needs to be enforced immediately and lifties and other mountain personnel need to be able to confiscate the speakers along with passes.
    Please put this on the waiver and rules of the mountain—a list of user responsibilities and conduct must be checked off agreeing to abide by policies and if the person will not do this then confiscate the pass.
    This goes for other infractions on the mountains as well: smoking, swearing, reckless skiing and boarding, speeding in slow zones. Confiscate the pass, put the offenders into "snow-school rehab."
    We go to the mountains to enjoy peace, serenity, the beauty of the mountains and to connect with one another through the lost art of quality time and talking. Listening to heavy metal death rock is not what we signed up for and infuriating to stand next to in a lineup.
    For regular people, it is fairly irritating. As someone with a disability of sensory issues, I cannot tolerate this.
    Whistler Blackcomb hosts children and their families through adaptive snow sports. It's a big deal if you have a child that freaks out in environments over and beyond what the family has already calculated. It is not fair. It is enough to ruin my day or someone's kid's day who simply has noise sensitivities.
    It's not up to me to wear noise cancelling headphones, plus they don't fit under helmets, and without wearing a helmet, a safety issue.
    If Vail Resorts will not put in place a policy to enforce this, I will take it into my own hands. I go to ski to try to calm my nerves and issues, not exacerbate them.
    Also, this is not a complaint against Vail Resorts—I actually respect Vail Resorts for having to deal with a challenging year and making some changes.
    But I'm asking Vail Resorts to take action and do something about it.
    Whose right is it anyway to think their musical taste is preferred by all?
    Julia Wong
    Vancouver

For regular people.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Have been using a pair similar to these for a long time also and they've worked well for skiing/cycling.

Probably going to replace them with a bluetooth set though to get rid of the cord.
    Have you found a good Bluetooth replacement? I need the hook, cheap-ish and non-in-ear type.

I have had the Skullcandy XTfree bluetooth earbuds for a few years now. I like them a lot. They do block sound out, to the point that I will wear them as earplugs when camping or on a hut trip. Great for touring, biking, etc. though. I'll usually have one bud out so I can hear better, but then you gotta be careful not to drop em.

'Crack'... 'Whumph'... 'Swooosh'

"Hey!.. the ground is moving under my feet!"

That's why I don't wear headphones when skiing avy terrain.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Always problematic when you piggyback on an existing thread. Many people will comment on the OP and not realize that there's a new question three years later.