Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Good Earphones For Backcountry Skiing/Exercise?

I'm looking for some solid earphones for when I backcountry ski (mainly for certain climbs/traverses), mountain bike (mainly for long fireroad climbs), or go to the gym.

Here are the features I want:

*stays in my ear despite sweat and movement
    *has a little remote control unit so I don't have to dig out my iPhone to push pause or adjust the volume
    *doesn't cost a ridiculous amount

Here's what I don't want:

*earphones that block out all ambient noise
    *earphones that I have to bury deep in my ear
    *nerd-level hi-fidelity (a lot of the time I'm listening to podcasts/audiobooks)

Anyhow, the older Apple earbuds used to be okay but the newer ones don't stay in my ears that well. I also tried some Sony and then Skullcandy in-ear earbuds. The audio quality was good, but I didn't like the way they felt and they tend to slip out during prolonged exercise.

What say you? (Bonus points for earphones I can buy on Amazon Prime.)

That reminds me . . . .

Another criterion:The earphones shouldn't be too delicate or unwieldy. I'd like to be able to stuff them in my pants pocket when I'm not using them.

Nobody has anything?

These:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-...sin=B0094R4POC
    or these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-...+cx+685+sports

My wife has a pair of the latter. Good sound, water-resistant, reasonable price. I had a pair of their non-"sport" buds for a while that I really liked for general listening, including while running. Then they went through the wash. Doh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I love these for biking: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Interchangeable rubber tips to maximize or minimize the sound isolation/fit. The mic version is $26 and has the inline remote.

Super soft and hook over the ears so they stay in when it is bumpy.
    Last edited by Summit; 01-27-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thanks, LightRanger and Summit. Do you find that those in-ear buds shut out a little too much sound?

With the smaller fitting it is not bad, but if I am somewhere where I'm around other people (say riding downhill) I only ride with one in.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Yeah, I'd say use the smaller fitting or try to keep them loose. Or turn it down, which is what I usually do. But then it'd be harder to hear your podcast. Easier with background music.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

What about any of the Outdoor Tech stuff? I've got the Chips and they are very good. They've got some BT earbuds as well.

Thanks, guys.

johnnyg82: I'm curious about wireless headphones as it's pretty easy to inadvertently rip out wired earphones when active.

So true. Destroyed more than one pair from doing that.

get the red ones.

i find these very durable but no external control for the ipod. flat reinforced cable, good sound, comes with multiple sized silicone tips...

http://www.amazon.com/JLAB-Heavy-Met...keywords=jbuds

I have owned just about every pair of buds you can from extremely expensive to lower priced ones and all remote volume controls have eventually broken (meaning the head phones still worked, but the cord volume control did not)... I don't care, if you use them for active sports the remote will eventually shit the bed... So if you find a pair you like I would not base your decision on this feature...

I've found yurbuds to fit the active purpose. They "twist" and kinda lock into the ear. For in ear the are comfy enough for my to ski all day or sit on a 2 hour conference call. Not too pricey.

I clip an external blue tooth speaker on me or my pack, that way everyone can enjoy it on the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
    I clip an external blue tooth speaker on me or my pack, that way everyone can enjoy it on the way up.
    You sure everyone "enjoys" your music

Since everyone is on the sennheiser train. I use these for everything. Bluetooth, and I can't stand things in my ears.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MM-.../dp/B002O01L6Q

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Thanks, guys.

johnnyg82: I'm curious about wireless headphones as it's pretty easy to inadvertently rip out wired earphones when active.
    I've got the bluetooth Chips from them, and the cord from one side to the other is hidden pretty well in my helmet. There's a kickstarter for accessories for the Chips now actually; https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...l-in-one-head/

They also have wireless BT earbud options: http://www.outdoortechnology.com/Shop/Orcas/
    Last edited by johnnyg82; 01-28-2015 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Additions

Yep, ski with a bunch of Dead Heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesystemsplit View Post
    You sure everyone "enjoys" your music

It would be a shame to get buried in an avalanche because the whomp you missed was drowned out but bad rap music.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

hutash: True. But, even in mid-winter, there a ton of tours with long, uneventful approaches. In the spring, it usually doesn't matter. Also, it's part of the reason I don't want noise-cancelling earbuds.

The silence of the tour is part of the attraction.

Unless you're touring with someone with squeaky boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

There's usually ample time for silence and music/podcasts in most tours. Also, sometimes I need to music to keep me moving during certain tedious and ass-kicking sections.

Another option that I saw the other day, although it's quite a bit more expensive than most recommendations above:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ear-headphones

Those are probably the future of earphones.