Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    The XTfree fits my ears really well, the little rubber bars help hold em in nicely. Ears do get sore after a while but not bad. Never had em fall out.

And to the discussion about earplugs in the BC, I never wear them in any terrain. Slayer is scientifically proven to make you skin faster.

I'm on my second pair of Plantronics backbeat fit headphones. They weren't super cheap like some of the generic amazon ones but they've been better in terms of sounds and durability than the $20ish stuff. They stay put really well but aren't noise cancelling so I can hear all the background stuff. The first pair quit turning off but Plantronics warrantied them without too much hassle. 2nd pair are rocking right along. Definitely prefer them to the noise cancelling style when I'm outside but on the rare occasion that I run on my treadmill I still use the noise cancelling ones.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Update: purchased these. Haven't yet used them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

IMHO, Bluetooth is a must!

Apple bluetooth with earhooks and/or buff. I wear a buff under my helmet and the headphones go nowhere. Many crashes later even.

If not those, please buy something bluetooth. It's almost 2020

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    I’ve done a few of the Bragi Pro tailored versions for patients and they have liked them. The ability to make them passive or not to outside sound is nice. Again on the pricey side.

https://www.bragi.com/
    Those Bragi Pro look really nice, but friggen spendy! Is there a decent bluetooth headphone that could also serve as a hearing protector at a concert - allows the music to come in but takes the edge off? Someone once bought me some bluetooth headphones for my birthday, but they hurt my ear to wear as they are the wrong size and can't be changed. I wear some cheap etymotic research high fidelity earplugs for live music, which definitely help and I recommend at a minimum. But would be nice to have some custom bluetooth headphone/live music ear pieces that fit great if the price was not too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    Those Bragi Pro look really nice, but friggen spendy! Is there a decent bluetooth headphone that could also serve as a hearing protector at a concert - allows the music to come in but takes the edge off? Someone once bought me some bluetooth headphones for my birthday, but they hurt my ear to wear as they are the wrong size and can't be changed. I wear some cheap etymotic research high fidelity earplugs for live music, which definitely help and I recommend at a minimum. But would be nice to have some custom bluetooth headphone/live music ear pieces that fit great if the price was not too crazy.
    An audiologist friend I went to school with has been big into the Bragi but wanted to offer something at a lower price. He’s been putting this together.

https://17khz.godaddysites.com/

I don’t know much about it yet as he’s just getting it going. Could be what your looking for. Not a custom (tailored) product right now but I would imagine he is working in putting something together.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Update: purchased these. Haven't yet used them.
    update: they work fine.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Bumping this! The Jaybird xs I got from rideit were good for their time and lasted a few years before not charging anymore. Their customer assistance was not very helpful and was unable to get them repaired. Went with some Bose Sound Sports after that. They were good, but not great, and finally crapped out after about 4 years.

Thinking about going with the Samsung Galaxy Live https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile-au...axy-buds-live/ or these spendy Sennheisers https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sennhei...less-2-review/. What are you dudes rockin'?

Skullcandy Vert. /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thanks for the skull candy recommendation, Summit. But I don't really ski with music, so the gloves-on friendly buttons are not super desirable to me. Looking to go true wireless as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I use it for biking. I don't ski with music either.

I clip the control to the strap on my pack. It's easy to control while riding your bike because of the twist or large button press controls instead of little buttons.

The other thing is that the way the ear pieces are. Good sound quality without sound isolation! I can have both in and still hear everything around me to maintain situational awareness. All other earbuds I only can put one in on a bike or else I'm deaf to the world. Gotta be able to hear bikers behind you or a problem with your bike;

@Cruiser et al.

Plantronics backbeat fit is what I've been using - several years now.

But they have/had known battery issues - and mine are headed that way as well.
    Anyone replace the battery in the fit?
    This seems like the ultimate fix - mine are in physically decent shape, so simply replacing the battery sounds like a reasonable plan.

Any other comparable - semi open-ear design? Not too expensive? (<$70 for sure, probably sub $50)
    (The newer versions all seem to have different but equally bad problems [hiss, other battery problems, quality control, flimsy], so I'd be hard pressed before I'd buy Plantronics again. Many reviews have has multiple pairs before finding one that kinda works, more or less - which doesn't sound like a lot of good-times, trying to get there.)

Jaybirds are pretty solid for outdoor sports, pricey though. It makes sense that they are the only major player that markets towards mountain athletes

Ended up going with the Sony WF-SP800N true wireless sport earbuds. This was mostly due to them being what seemed like the best choice at my local Best Buy. I needed something for work vid conferencing and didn't want to wait/pay extra for something to come from an online purchase. They were originally priced at $200, but they recently came down to $150.

The Good: The sound is great, especially the bass, considering they're earbuds. The Bluetooth connection with phone/CPU etc. is really quick and easy; definitely an improvement over previous BT devices I've used. Fit is pretty good after swapping out to some of the extra parts. Battery life is good and they come with a charging case. There are a lot of bells and whistles inside of the phone app.

The Bad: They definitely fall short of a high-end feel, which is a bummer for $150. The noise cancelling is worthless if there is any perceptible wind (makes a loud muffle/hiss sound) which is dumb for sport buds that are likely to be used outside. But I've always felt noise cancelling is overrated anyway, except for airplanes, so the running thing isn't really a deal breaker for me. Charging case is bulky and build quality seems flimsy/cheap. There are a lot of bells and whistles inside of the phone app, which makes them a bit difficult to learn.

All in all, after having them for a week, I'm reasonably satisfied with them. Definitely still getting used to the true wireless, kind of always just feel like one is about to fall out an into a storm drain. haha

I highly recommend 1MORE. The sound quality on the quad driver corded surpasses anything I've listened to. I'd get a Sony DAK and some UE18's if money were no object, but I don't even want to spend the time messing with that. Also, the 1MORE ANC's are pretty badass. On sale for $179 now, but should be less for a Labor Day sale.

FWIW, after years of going through a number of cheapo headphones, I invested in some spendy ($160) Aftershokz Aeroplex headphones. These are bone-conducting headphones, which means they transmit sound through your cheekbones.

Pros:
    *I can still hear ambient sounds--approaching hikers, animals, whoomphing, etc.
    *They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used.
    *Nothing clogging up your ears, which is especially uncomfortable when you're changing elevation and the pressure in your ears is changing.
    *They charge quickly and last for 8+ hours of continuous usage.
    *They connect to my iPhone's bluetooth very quickly.

Cons:
    *The sound quality is fine, but it definitely doesn't compare to normal headphones.
    *If it's noisy outside--e.g., strong wind--it can be hard to hear.
    *Spendy.

Anyhow, I like them and they're good for what I do--bc skiing, trail running, conference calls from home. If you're an audiophile, these probably aren't for you though.

ak - can you fit aftershokz under a ski helmet? been thinking bout that combo inbounds

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    ak - can you fit aftershokz under a ski helmet? been thinking bout that combo inbounds
    I think they'd be okay unless your ski helmet is particularly tight around the ears and temple. I tried them with my climbing helmet (BD Half Dome) and they're comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I think they'd be okay unless your ski helmet is particularly tight around the ears and temple. I tried them with my climbing helmet (BD Half Dome) and they're comfortable.
    What about a fullface?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    What about a fullface?
    Sorry, I couldn't say. The headphones definitely aren't high profile or anything. But if the helmet was particularly snug in front of the ears, it could be uncomfortable. See, e.g. this photo of a sweaty babe with the Aftershokz: