Thread: AK in March

AK in March

Just booked a trip to AK March 6-15. Staying in Girdwood but don't intend to ski Alyeska the entire time. Have a lot of BC experience but have never been to AK. Any advice re good off piste spots around Girdwood would be much appreciated; or if there are any locals willing to show me the ropes, I would reciprocate with many thank you six packs.

I'd cancel asap

seriously...

we have no snow

that being said, bc skiing is strait forward, get the alaska factor by joe stock

The way this winter is going the resort may be the only game in town, and may be full on rain corn. I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by ak_powder_monkey; 01-25-2015 at 02:48 AM.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Thanks, appreciate the advice. Likely it picks up in late Feb/early March? It doesn't look like the snow totals are that far off from what they were at this time last year.

The only solace I'm taking this year since it sucks in the PNW is that is sucks almost everywhere else too.

It really does. Everybody is hurting. We've been hovering around a 20 inch base in the NE until today's storm. Hopefully things pick up in February.

Quote Originally Posted by rdt854 View Post
    Thanks, appreciate the advice. Likely it picks up in late Feb/early March? It doesn't look like the snow totals are that far off from what they were at this time last year.
    Considering that last year was quite bad that's not a good metric.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Anyone knows how snow around haines is now? Is it ok in the alpine or does it suck all over?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422450822.852858.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	163168a photo the AH guys took yesterday on a recon flight with Drake around Haines
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422450822.852858.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	163168a photo the AH guys took yesterday on a recon flight with Drake around Haines
    That looks like a ton of fun!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'd cancel asap

seriously...

we have no snow

that being said, bc skiing is strait forward, get the alaska factor by joe stock

The way this winter is going the resort may be the only game in town, and may be full on rain corn. I hope I'm wrong.
    You're being a hater Patrick, which given your status on the injured list and residence in Fairbanks is justified, but it doesn't really describe what is going on.

Just booked a trip to AK March 6-15. Staying in Girdwood but don't intend to ski Alyeska the entire time. Have a lot of BC experience but have never been to AK. Any advice re good off piste spots around Girdwood would be much appreciated; or if there are any locals willing to show me the ropes, I would reciprocate with many thank you six packs.
    You'll have a great time, I wouldn't worry too much about any negative responses. I don't know if you will have a car, but that will really help. I wouldn't have high expectations for the ski area, but there will be good touring. Turnagain Pass is plastered up high and is awesomely stable at the moment, hopefully it will stay that way. The Talkeetnas have plenty of snow, although there are deep instabilities there. Basically, if you are willing to put in the time, you will get the goods. I might be out of town for work, but if I'm around I'd love to get out, and if not I can point you in the right direction.

AKPM is right, get the Alaska Factor by Joe Stock. Also, join the Alaska Backcountry Ski Addiction group on Facebook, and follow the Alaska Conditions and Stoke Thread on here.

Cool blogs to use as resources and get you stoked:
    http://akmountain.com/
    http://www.stockalpine.com/posts/
    http://www.mikerecords.com/

Pictures and TRs from this year to get you stoked:
    Sunburst

Basketball

Kickstep

Holy shit that's glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    You'll have a great time, I wouldn't worry too much about any negative responses. I don't know if you will have a car, but that will really help. I wouldn't have high expectations for the ski area, but there will be good touring. Turnagain Pass is plastered up high and is awesomely stable at the moment, hopefully it will stay that way. The Talkeetnas have plenty of snow, although there are deep instabilities there. Basically, if you are willing to put in the time, you will get the goods. I might be out of town for work, but if I'm around I'd love to get out, and if not I can point you in the right direction...
    This is incredibly helpful, really appreciate it. The pics are sick. What time of year? I also wouldn't have thought to rent a car, but will certainly be doing that now. Def PM/email me if you're around and want to tour, would love to get a local's perspective on the best (stable) spots.

Mike,your posts are a breath of fresh air. Sorry for the thread hijack. I will be in Girdwood the first week in March for 4 days. I have already scheduled a touring day with a guide. Does the snow drought below 1500' affect the quality of the heli skiing? I am trying to decide whether to reserve a heli day with CPG or schedule a second touring day.

This is incredibly helpful, really appreciate it. The pics are sick. What time of year? I also wouldn't have thought to rent a car, but will certainly be doing that now. Def PM/email me if you're around and want to tour, would love to get a local's perspective on the best (stable) spots.
    Glad to help! One pic each from the last three months: Nov, Dec, Jan.

Hit me up when your trip is getting closer!

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Mike,your posts are a breath of fresh air. Sorry for the thread hijack. I will be in Girdwood the first week in March for 4 days. I have already scheduled a touring day with a guide. Does the snow drought below 1500' affect the quality of the heli skiing? I am trying to decide whether to reserve a heli day with CPG or schedule a second touring day.
    Sweet, I'm sure your touring day will be awesome!

If anyone isn't affected by the high snow line its the helis. When I was up on the Kickstep Glacier last weekend, the 20 foot tall blocks of ice that had been exposed at the beginning of December were completely buried. There's lots of snow up there! I guess it really comes down to your style. But, the heli will skip the thin snowpack down low.