Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    You know that's not exactly something to be proud of, right?
    Never said I was proud of it, nor did I ever have anything even remotely to do with the decision making behind it. If you really want to split hairs, shouldn't there always be a helicopter on hand at any open ski resort?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

2015 freeride world tour

Quote Originally Posted by Xdresser View Post
    Too bad, that's a loss for all of us that you are not going to try and get a spot on the FWT. Judging by your most recent video upload, you are ready to make the Bec des Rosses your bitch:
    Yeah, major loss. I'm sooo sick. I'd make Kaj look like a pussy at that venue. Hiding behind an alias... so hot right now. Go away cuntworm.

in that time, World Cup Downhill mountain biking has taken off and become a huge success in every single aspect. do I have to point out the differences between FWT and WCDH? seems clear to me that the potential audience for Freeskiing is not being satisfied by the lack of structure on the course and complex judging criteria, time delays, poor announcing, poor camera-work in general. It's an awesome event for participants and locals on the hill, but much work to be done boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    Said at some point by pretty much everyone involved in the sport for the last couple decades.

actually, helicopter rescue is totally limited by weather, so depending on the region, not effective half of the time. It would be comforting to think you are always 10 minutes from the world's best surgeons, but it ain't the truth. And another thought: without the world's top surgeons, extreme skiing venues cease to be a sport at all. credit where due?
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Never said I was proud of it, nor did I ever have anything even remotely to do with the decision making behind it. If you really want to split hairs, shouldn't there always be a helicopter on hand at any open ski resort?

There is a lot to think about in glademasters comment. I hold the wildly unpopular notion that the structure of the venue is at fault for the failure of the sport to attract interest beyond the inner core. The sport has not figured out a way to reward style, so the progression becomes about risk. The sport refuses to incorporate gates (which could be 100' wide) as if they are a violation of a competitor's personal, spiritual freedom. Hey, your call, but the viewing public clearly is not going for it. Many young skiers opt out because they know that big drops onto firm snow will ruin their back in time, which indicates there may be many highly skilled potential competitors that are just too intelligent to ruin their life over this transitory sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I disagree after my firsthand experiences talking to your competitive freeriders who have all turned their backs on the sport because the risks are wildly out of proportion with the rewards.

I feel the same way about the Rampage and refuse to watch it. I have no interest in supporting niches within larger sports that encourage people to take obscene risks in suboptimal conditions for money that won't even cover the ride to the hospital, and I believe the sport would be healthier if they did not exist at all.

Why do most of you think the problems of the FWT are solve-able? The FWT isn't watchable for most people that don't ski (and do ski), does not attract enough sponsor money to solve some of the problems, and the event is hard to control due to limited venues and variable snow conditions. I don't think there is a magic solution out there. I think it's great to watch though.

Because world cup downhill bike racing is solve-able? so similar really. and competitors need to quit idolizing the promoters and hold them to a higher standard.

correct me if i'm wrong but aren't DH bike races usually about who is fastest, i.e. much simpler way to figure out who wins? not very comparable imo.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by dvlr View Post
    The sport refuses to incorporate gates (which could be 100' wide) as if they are a violation of a competitor's personal, spiritual freedom.
    I don't understand this statement.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I'm quite relieved that my kids don't do Freeride comps.
    I'm incredibly happy mine do, though I'm even happier they have had good training both technically and strategically, and that they exhibit strong decision-making skills pretty much all the time. That's not to say I don't have moments of anxiety when they're about to drop, sadness when they don't ski as well as they wish or other typically parental concerns. That said, I'd be much more worried about injuries if they were playing high-school football.

By and large it's a fun community of parents and kids unified by a true passion for skiing and it's been a huge part of my life for many winters that I will always cherish. It's been great to have these experiences traveling and supporting my sons, making lots of friends around the west, and there're lots of solid life lessons in being a competitor (not necessarily exclusive to this sport of course). It's a very different vibe from youth racing. I've yet to see a parent or coach yell at their kid for not being good or successful enough or act disappointed in their efforts (which I certainly did as a race dad), or to see a parent do anything but hug and high-5 their kid after a run.

Thinking back I can say with some certainty that I probably saw more kids get tobogganed off the hill in race courses than I have in comp venues.

2015 freeride world tour

They're all (Free-skiing, DH mountain biking, Pro surfing) losing concerns, sustained by passion rather than any financial logic. Pro surfing is doing just about everything right: incredibly talented and consistent high profile competitors, spectacular action at the worlds best surf breaks, and high production values. Yet, they're losing millions. I watch them all, and appreciate the efforts of all who make it possible, but until someone can come up with a different economic model (perhaps some version of pay per view), they're all doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by dvlr View Post
    The sport refuses to incorporate gates (which could be 100' wide) as if they are a violation of a competitor's personal, spiritual freedom
    There are gates though, one at the top (sometimes two) and one at the bottom. Nice and tight too, so you should be pleased.

I wonder, has anyone researched how many skiers vs. DH bikers vs. surfers there are out there? I have to think of the three the largest prospective audience is skiers....?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    They're all (Free-skiing, DH mountain biking, Pro surfing) losing concerns, sustained by passion rather than any financial logic. Pro surfing is doing just about everything right: incredibly talented and consistent high profile competitors, spectacular action at the worlds best surf breaks, and high production values. Yet, they're losing millions. I watch them all, and appreciate the efforts of all who make it possible, but until someone can come up with a different economic model (perhaps some version of pay per view), they're all doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I wonder, has anyone researched how many skiers vs. DH bikers vs. surfers there are out there? I have to think of the three the largest prospective audience is skiers....?
    Doesn't matter at all. The number is how many people in the world with the internet connection and a computer who will watch. The core participants only will never be enough.

Perhaps, but it might if you're pitching it to [similar] investors and sponsors. Demographic data roolz, and there are currently sponsors in place for all those sports who are sinking money into them for some reason other than their charitability. Clearly someone thinks there's some value there, and I'd think their hope for a return on the investment is for the longer rather than shorter term.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Doesn't matter at all. The number is how many people in the world with the internet connection and a computer who will watch. The core participants only will never be enough.

You are probably right, but there is one key difference. Owning a mountain bike is crazy expensive and learning to surf takes a very long time. There are very few people who surf once a year, or mountain bike once a year.... The majority of skiers, ski once a year during their winter vacation.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    or mountain bike once a year
    Ever lived in the front range?

I'm incredibly happy mine do, though I'm even happier they have had good training both technically and strategically, and that they exhibit strong decision-making skills pretty much all the time. That's not to say I don't have moments of anxiety when they're about to drop, sadness when they don't ski as well as they wish or other typically parental concerns. That said, I'd be much more worried about injuries if they were playing high-school football.

By and large it's a fun community of parents and kids unified by a true passion for skiing and it's been a huge part of my life for many winters that I will always cherish. It's been great to have these experiences traveling and supporting my sons, making lots of friends around the west, and there're lots of solid life lessons in being a competitor (not necessarily exclusive to this sport of course). It's a very different vibe from youth racing. I've yet to see a parent or coach yell at their kid for not being good or successful enough or act disappointed in their efforts (which I certainly did as a race dad), or to see a parent do anything but hug and high-5 their kid after a run.

Thinking back I can say with some certainty that I probably saw more kids get tobogganed off the hill in race courses than I have in comp venues.
    I find this interesting and that program your kids are in sounds great. I am not aware of anything like that in Europe. A main issue would be the lack of controlled terrain suitable to practice on.

As for risk in freeride comps vs. racing, I would almost say that risk is more encouraged in racing (by trainers and parents, not the casual observers out for a show), maybe because the risk is less obvious. I have seen plenty of coaches and parents yell at kids on top of a GS course to give it all they have no matter how icy, steep or generally shit the course is. The snow is faster, the skis are way more aggressive, doesn't take much to at all to blow a knee, it's just not as spectacular as falling off a rock. I have never heard anyone who knows a little bit about skiing encourage blatantly risky "always go all in no matter what" comp skiing. The inherent risks are different and the type of injuries probably is too. Maybe in comps a relatively small fuckup can have big consequences, while in racing the level of consequences is in closer relation to the level of fuckup?

Saw the three runs and they all looked cool. Can't comment who was better cause it's subjective. Hell they all ski so much better than me. But I think it's their choice and if you can compete at that level more power to you. I gotta make it to watch one of these cause I doubt videos show it all. Go tabke, crush it!
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    I find this interesting and that program your kids are in sounds great. I am not aware of anything like that in Europe. A main issue would be the lack of controlled terrain suitable to practice on.

As for risk in freeride comps vs. racing, I would almost say that risk is more encouraged in racing (by trainers and parents, not the casual observers out for a show), maybe because the risk is less obvious. I have seen plenty of coaches and parents yell at kids on top of a GS course to give it all they have no matter how icy, steep or generally shit the course is. The snow is faster, the skis are way more aggressive, doesn't take much to at all to blow a knee, it's just not as spectacular as falling off a rock. I have never heard anyone who knows a little bit about skiing encourage blatantly risky "always go all in no matter what" comp skiing. The inherent risks are different and the type of injuries probably is too. Maybe in comps a relatively small fuckup can have big consequences, while in racing the level of consequences is in closer relation to the level of fuckup?
    There are several groups for kids in Norway with organized training for free riding. It's very well organized and you see skiers 9/10 years old throwing back flips of cliffs like it was nothing. It's hugely impressive. I'm sure this isn't happening only here?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    There are several groups for kids in Norway with organized training for free riding. It's very well organized and you see skiers 9/10 years old throwing back flips of cliffs like it was nothing. It's hugely impressive. I'm sure this isn't happening only here?
    cool. maybe it's just old fashioned austria that hasn't noticed the trend. I've seen 10y/olds do backflips but they were training for aerials...

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Saw the three runs and they all looked cool. Can't comment who was better cause it's subjective. Hell they all ski so much better than me. But I think it's their choice and if you can compete at that level more power to you. I gotta make it to watch one of these cause I doubt videos show it all. Go tabke, crush it!
    That's one of the main problems with the FWT in my opinion. They're making the comps impossible, or very difficult to watch live with their selection of venues. I could see this making more sense if their venues were consistently good, but they don't seem to be any better than they were when MSI was running the show.

They're making the comps impossible, or very difficult to watch live with their selection of venues.
    We were in Chamonix two years ago when the FWT was in town and skied at Courmayeur the day they competed there. The venue couldn't have been easier to watch live from the resort.

It was also note worthy how big a deal the whole FWT thing was in Chamonix for the week they were there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The same is true for snowbird and kirkwood. None of those three are still venues.

The same is true for snowbird and kirkwood. None of those three are still venues.
    agreed....the only FWT event I care to try and watch 'live' these days in the Verbier Extreme. All the others, i just usually watch the top 3 and maaaaybe the highlights.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks