Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The Monster 108 is good, but not quite as versatile.. Its much more traditional, much stiffer, and heavier than the katana.

The Monster is a little more one-dimensional than the Katana. Not as good in trees or powder, but on another level when it comes to wide open terrain with firm snow.

Katanas full rocker makes it much more versatile IMO. The katana can literally ski anything. Its not the best at anything, but really good at everything.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So, yeah, the Q lab can be pretty balls out and a demanding ski in small places. Little more sidecut than a Katana and flat tail = can't wash the tails as easily as a twin, let alone an ever so slightly straighter twin. Surprising, given the tail rocker. Might just have to lean forward more and ski faster.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Not sure what's the point of a demanding ski.
    The katanas are really easy to ski, yet they perform really well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

The demanding part of the monster 108 is the weight. You feel it at the end of the day, but that’s why they are so smooth.

They carve a tighter turn than the Katana. Says 27.6m turn radius on the 191, but it feels a little shorter than that, like 24ish. Man can they carve.

This doesn't answer the OP's question but V-werks Katanas for $525 at www.saintbernard.com

Use code EXTRA30

That's a good deal on those katanas. I have the 191 for touring and they are killer in powder. I'm almost tempted to pick up a set of 184's for longer tours and tighter areas

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Why dont they make the Katana anymore!?

I would buy them if they produced them. Can we set up a petition to bring them back, or something?

We could ask Mike McCabe at Folsom Custom Skis to make replicas.

Based on what he said in the Blister podcast "roundtable on custom skis" episode, he's happy to make a replica mold for his ski press for the right price or if he has enough buyers lined up.

Has anyone skied both the Katana and newer Mantras extensively?

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

I have, but a couple of older mantras, before rocker.

They didn't ski at all the same, I vastly preferred the katanas, even in bumps.

I own the Katanas as well as older cambered Mantras. Demoed the newer Mantras for a day and while they felt comfortable and somewhat familiar, they definitely have a speed limit and are not a "little katana", nor do they have the chops of the old Mantra. They would be fun to ski when out with the kids but they are by no means a charger. I think Volkl missed the boat on the newer Mantra; camber with tip and tail rocker would have made them a much better ski IMO.

Looking for a new Katana - what ski am I?

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if the 191 Mantra(new) were “mini-katanas”. It seems not.

I have one run on the 184 Mantras, and didnt like them initially. I thought I was going to really enjoy them, but they felt short and off to me. I need more time on them for sure though.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 11-09-2017 at 07:40 PM.

I have the Katanas v werks and metal 184 both great skis the latter good for heavy to chop. The mantra with camber for the firm days. I hope Volkl reintro camber in the mantra too.

Have any Katana lovers skied any of the models in the Faction Dictator series? That ski looks promising and drops some weight compared to the metal Katana which I usually don't care about but would be nice for long walks in the mountains.

^^^ I would just go Vwerks Katanas in that case.

What the heck is going on with Volkl. Personally, I feel they are doing things ass-backwards, and I bet their sales aren’t what they used to be because of it.

It seems fairly obvious.. Switch rocker profiles between Mantra and confession. Bring back camber in the Mantra. Full ELP rocker Confession. Reintroduce heavy Katanas. Watch sales increase.

Does anyone else agree?

The metal katanas are my all time favorite skis.

But, I was told that volkl sold these only in California and pnw.

So not very popular, unfortunately.

Cambered mantra would be the main sales increaser. Is the Mantra selling as well now, as it used to?

I feel like the Katana’s absence over the past few years, has generated some remorse in non-buyers. Maybe do a limited release every few years, like the Dynastar Pro Rider? I know for a fact I would buy a pair, probably the most versatile skis I have ever used.

Buddy crazyskir05 nabbed some 197cm Katanas for me in Bozo.... $80

They are still floating around

Where are all the 198s?

They are different enough from the previous gen 197s, to warrant the specific search for them. Probably expensive though.

Plz educate me on the difference between the 2010 197 and the later 198

Does anyone else agree?
    The Confession rips as is, doesn't need to be full rocker. Mantra needs 5mm camber (look what it did to the Kendo); while they're at it they should build a 108mm version of the Titanal-infused cambered Mantra and call it something like "Gotama" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Plz educate me on the difference between the 2010 197 and the later 198
    Full rocker with no flat camber underfoot, significantly stiffer, true to length instead of 3.5cm short, better construction due to being built in Germany instead of China. The 2012-2014 191s and 198s have an “athlete flex”..

The older 197 is not much burlier than the newer 191. The newer 198s are serious. Had this same discussion with Ottime a few weeks ago.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...vs-2009-Katana

For $80 though, you scored big time!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Confession rips as is, doesn't need to be full rocker. Mantra needs 5mm camber (look what it did to the Kendo); while they're at it they should build a 108mm version of the Titanal-infused cambered Mantra and call it something like "Gotama" . . .
    If they just beefed up the 100Eight, I would probably be happy and keep my mouf shut

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I’m still very intrigued about the Confession. Raving reviews in every ski test but virtually no one is skiing them in this part of the Alps. We’re talking here about genuine Völkl territory. Last saison I saw maybe just one dude on the Confessions. You see plenty of metal Katanas, though. So what’s wrong with the Confession?