Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The stock strap has no give to it. Its hard to explain but the give in the Booster strap makes the boot feel snug throughout its flex pattern whereas the stock strap does not. You end up with a less progressive feeling flex.

I've thought of ways to make the buckle worth with a Booster strap but I am hesitant to put them under the knife. Alternatively I could simply do as Shorty recommended but I would run the Booster strap on the inside of the stock strap to keep the liner snug against my shin.

XXXer I think that the top strap is a great system but it does not have the same progressive feel as the Booster strap because it is not elastic it feels like an old school strap/buckle combo.

Booster Strap Installation Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    The stock strap has no give to it. Its hard to explain but the give in the Booster strap makes the boot feel snug throughout its flex pattern whereas the stock strap does not. You end up with a less progressive feeling flex.
    that's the reason I'm replacing my spyne 130 strap with an expert booster! Even though I love the wide k2 strap the no "play" compared to what comes from the elastic in the booster makes flexing the boot a little harsh, used to have the intermediate on my old boots but even at 150 was easy to overpower the booster

In reference to the addition of a booster on a Cochise, or in my case the bushwackers. I was thinking of attaching it to the spoiler maybe, or just removing the top buckle/strap set up and replacing it with a booster. In this case I'll have the air she'll pump assembly to deal with. Although the pump is heavy, it is really good at snugging up the heel and ankle, so I like it.

Has anyone experimented with the Cochise and booster straps?
    Last edited by tango uniform; 10-14-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tango uniform View Post
    In reference to the addition of a booster on a Cochise, or in my case the bushwackers. I was thinking of attaching it to the spoiler maybe, or just removing the top buckle/strap set up and replacing it with a booster. In this case I'll have the air she'll pump assembly to deal with. Although the pump is heavy, it is really good at snugging up the heel and ankle, so I like it.

Has anyone experimented with the Cochise and booster straps?
    Although I did not end up installing the Booster strap onto my Cochise's (buying new 4 buckle Cochise this year) I have seen it done. The pair I saw had the Booster strap mounted underneath the stock strap on the back of the boot and worn underneath the stock strap in the front. If that makes sense? It was slightly higher than the stock strap so it ended up looking like the examples above from the front... sitting just under the shell/stock strap directly against the liner.

Thanks. So the booster is around the liner only?

Around the shell at the back and in front I imagine you could wear it either way. Not my boots, so not 100% sure but that's how it looked to me.

thats^^ how I configure the strap on my 4 buckle alpines, I got the WC model Booster strap

so I kick my heel back into the pocket, I crank the booster well into the stretch of the neoprene first and then I JUST do up the buckles so I'm not loosening the booster strap ... seems to work the best for me

I agree without the stretch of the BOOSTER the Cochise power strap ain't quite the same but it looks pretty fucking cool ... I toyed with ordering a set from the dealer !
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-18-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It's not a big deal. I have been using boosters for years, I have screwed around putting it under and over the shell with many different boot/liner combos and I have never noticed a performance difference. You'll get the elasticity benefit either way.

I've just replaced the power strap of 4 buckle boots with the booster, and saw a marked benefit in fit, shin bang and rebound/power. This useless "power buckle/strap" combo is only good for tour mode. While skiing you're essentially missing a buckle on the cuff.

Any how, these boots have well over 100 days, maybe 150 resort/tour combined, and never fit right around my skinny ankle/lower calf and D width foot. I had some old red boosters laying around. I'll replace the power buckle with the red boosters and through some eliminator shims in, or just cut some heavy weight socks at the ankle and slip them on over my calf's . If that doesn't work they're gone.

I like the air shell. But, if they fit right in the first place, I wouldn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I don't think they increase stiffness, I think they increase feedback and reduce slop.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I'm 6' 5", 230 and I put World Cup Boosters on my Quest 120s and I notice a big difference over the stock straps. Keeps the tension unlike velcro straps with or without elastic and you can snug them down so you get immediate feedback when pressuring the cuffs with out shin bang. I think this is what people think feels stiffer. I don't know what the straps on your rs130s look like.

I looked at a picture of the RS130s and the strap looks like a rebranded, made for Lange Booster. I had some like that on a pair of Scarpas, they had a small Booster logo on the straps.
    I'm going to bump this thread as I'm considering the Booster Strap for my Lange RX 130 boots, which have something similar to the Booster, though there's no stretch to it; just a nylon strap with a Lange-branded cuff.

In short, I'd like a bit more rebound and I'm wondering if the OEM Lange strap is too static to offer what the Booster Strap could give me. Is this much ado about nothing? Or is there some benefit to swapping in a Booster?

I have had several pairs of RX 130 LVs over the years, the first thing I do when I get a new pair is throw the stock strap in the trash and replace w/Boosters.

Boosters are far superior to the Lange strap. It's all about the elasticity... for the relatively cheap cost it is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Splunge View Post
    Why don't you just wrap it around the existing strap and double up?
    FWIW, I run an expert booster strap UNDER the stock, inelastic strap on my overlap alpine boots (Langes). I tighten the booster against the liners inside the cuff, buckle the cuff, and then run stock strap a little looser outside the cuff (i.e., not exactly loose but not cinched tight). The stock strap keeps me from over-flexing the boot and bottoming out my ankle ROM. Seems to work very well: lots of rebound without blowing through the flex entirely. YMMV.

Semi-relavent to this thread: the very first time I met my wife (jesski) was in a ski shop, and we debated whether the booster strap goes over or under the shell. We were both right—under the shell for overlap boots; outside the shell for cabrio boots.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-09-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Here's one for you. I found an old booster laying around, how do I figure out what model it is? I'm not seeing a designation unless I'm blind.

Also - Is there a lifespan on the elasticity? It still seems stretchy. Guessing it's 6-7 yrs old.The right answer is to probably buy a new one, but this thread has inspired me to do some experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Breomonkey View Post
    I found an old booster laying around, how do I figure out what model it is?
    WC = 4 layers of elastic
    Expert = 3 layers of elastic
    Intermediate = 2 layers of elastic.

From Booster Strap FAQ:
    Question- What if I buy the wrong strength Booster?
    Answer- The Booster is backwards compatible, that is you can convert the World Cup to the Expert and the Expert to the Intermediate by eliminating a strip of material. You cannot go the other way.
    I'd have to imagine that a 7 year old booster strap is still usable as long as it's been stored away from moisture and UV. Why not give it a try?

Mine typically outlast 2-3 pairs of boots. When it curls up like a strip of bacon when it's not stretched then I replace it.
    Last edited by JaytaeMoney; 01-23-2017 at 10:30 AM.

So I decided to experiment with my go-to boots (2012 Tecnica Bushwacker Airshell) before starting the dredded process of new boot purchase. The lower half fits so fn good, I've been dealing with the cuff despite the power buckle bullshit.

I first put the booster between the powerbuckle and lower cuff buckle, but it was too congested and heavy. It was also hindering the awesomeness of the booster strap performance.

I removed the whole powerbuckle assy, and installed the booster under the pump assy. Holy shit, what a difference in performance, and fit. It's better than 4 buckle now.

I've been using a Booster on my new Head Vectors this season. I took off the lame velcro one that comes stock and put a WC Booster on. Initially I used it over the shell like the stock one is designed and it was certainly better than the stock strap. I decided to fiddle around and I've been using the Booster inside the shell and over the liner and the difference if marked. Way better fit and flex imo.

I tried putting Booster Straps inside the shells on my Kryptons but it forced me into an overly upright position by adding the thick elastic bands between shell and liner. Putting them outside the shell maintained the original set up but improved the initial engagement of the flex.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I tried putting Booster Straps inside the shells on my Kryptons but it forced me into an overly upright position by adding the thick elastic bands between shell and liner. Putting them outside the shell maintained the original set up but improved the initial engagement of the flex.
    This rings true for my experience with Flexon's as well.
    One thing I did notice however is that the pad on the booster wants to slid on the surface of the tongue, making it a bit less effective. There is a thread in tech talk where another mag explained now he put a horizontal slice in the pad that captured the top lip of the tongue that helped to maintain it's position. I went for a slightly different approach using self adhesive deck foam.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    WC = 4 layers of elastic
    Expert = 3 layers of elastic
    Intermediate = 2 layers of elastic.

From Booster Strap FAQ:

I'd have to imagine that a 7 year old booster strap is still usable as long as it's been stored away from moisture and UV. Why not give it a try?
    according to the company they don't lose elasticity. I asked.

Huge fan. Boosters engaged. Check out my homie's set up from today:

Bump.

Has anyone installed a booster on a Dynafit One?

The original strap is held on with three rivets. One on each side, one center on the back covered by a plastic clip. Just wondering if there is a problem with attaching the new strap with a T nut to one of the side rivet locations rather than messing with the plastic clip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    Although I did not end up installing the Booster strap onto my Cochise's (buying new 4 buckle Cochise this year) I have seen it done. The pair I saw had the Booster strap mounted underneath the stock strap on the back of the boot and worn underneath the stock strap in the front. If that makes sense? It was slightly higher than the stock strap so it ended up looking like the examples above from the front... sitting just under the shell/stock strap directly against the liner.
    That'swhat I was doing with my Tecnica XT17 as well. Booster onto the liner (but "attached" to.the external fre.on the back of the boot), regular strap on the outside, untouched. Could really feel the difference in boot behaviour.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    is booster better than original strap of kryptons? would you recommend to replace stock strap on 3 piece design boots?

I had the original model Krypton Pros and don't know about the straps on newer model 3-piece shell boots. In my case I really liked the results. In my experience 3-piece shell boots tend to have a more progressive flex and sweet rebound compared to 4-buckle boots. The Booster Straps gave me a little more control and feel of the initial flex of the Kryps, as opposed to having a fraction of a second gap in time before the pressure kicks in without it. Matching the correct strap flex to your weight is key. IMO Booster Straps improve the performance of 3-piece shell boots more than overlap shell boots, but your results may vary.
    Gravity Junkie