Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moment Chipotle Banana

Anyone have any time on these? Saw the video on backcountry and seems like an interesting ski.
    Go Sox!

I also have been wondering. Without reading too much, It seems very much like the ghost train.

I absolutely hated the night train, it was the most one dimensional ski ive ever skied. Even more so than the ARG.

Seems somewhat in the renegade category as a stiff powder oriented charger with little side cut and reflect tech or whatever you want to call matching rocker and sidecut radius. The renegade has less sidecut and more taper, but the skis sound similar and have similar lengths and weights. I have been intrigued by the renegade but it seems to have its short comings and wonder if these boards address those.
    Go Sox!

All I know is that knowing Carston, I think only the best 5% of the best skiers on TGR will be able to play on those things. All others must bow in deference and retire to their suburban hovels with their "medium soft" boards. Hail!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    All I know is that knowing Carston, I think only the best 5% of the best skiers on TGR will be able to play on those things. All others must bow in deference and retire to their suburban hovels with their "medium soft" boards. Hail!
    Shut the fuck up if you don't have anything to add in tech talk even I refrain from being a raging fuckhead in this forum. Your not funny jokes and name dropping got old a few hundred posts ago.

Yes, I'm aware that I'm committing the same sin.

From the Moment website:

"If you, too, are going six kinds of ape trying to choose between a softer rockered ski and a traditional big-mountain model, the Chipotle Banana could hold the cure—but the side effects should not be taken lightly. Consider this your warning label."

This makes me want to try a pair. As a night train owner, I would love a similar ski that charges a bit harder.

I know Carston rips but judging a ski solely on the pro behind it strikes me as somewhat short sighted. Sage and Candide rip too and their pro models don't stand up to the burly gnarly tgr standards. Just trying to get more beta from someone that has ridden them.
    Go Sox!

Bump here.

I am really curious to hear from someone who has skied these. They do stand out from the crowd as far as their shape/flex/design goes. Are they really a stable pow ski? Sounds like they could be good in Alaska where typical powder skis get pushed around a lot towards the bottom of runs where the maritime snowpack gets dense.

My understanding is that it's like a really stiff hell bent with a much longer turning radius - point it and it'll truck and never flinch, but stay centered and get the tails loose and it gets more playful and schmeary. Main selling point seems to be that it's much stiffer than most fat twina
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

FWIW the meridian is based off of it, and that's got to be my favorite ski ever made, no joke.

The meridian is? It's a tempting ski,

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    The meridian is? It's a tempting ski,
    If you like jibbier skis, few are this snappy and lively while still being really stable and fast. Also can still turn a solid groomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    My understanding is that it's like a really stiff hell bent with a much longer turning radius - point it and it'll truck and never flinch, but stay centered and get the tails loose and it gets more playful and schmeary. Main selling point seems to be that it's much stiffer than most fat twina
    Not really, the Hellbent is super rockered and floppy. The Chipotle Banana has radius rocker. Meaning the radius of the rocker is the same radius as the sidecut so you're getting a ton of edge engagement when you roll the ski over. The radius for the rocker and the sidecut on the CB is 33m which isnt a ton. Its only a -5cm recommended mount so it pivots fairly easy when you ski it upright.

...but yea, its really stiff. And we based the Meridian off it. That being said the Meridian does not have radius rocker. The sidecut is more aggressive on the Meridian that its rocker radius.

Side note: The Meridian 181 goes in the Chipotle Banana 186 camber mold.

Quote Originally Posted by tpacent View Post
    I know Carston rips but judging a ski solely on the pro behind it strikes me as somewhat short sighted. Sage and Candide rip too and their pro models don't stand up to the burly gnarly tgr standards. Just trying to get more beta from someone that has ridden them.
    Thats because Atomic has to make skis that sell to the average joe as well. Those guys are so talented they can ski anything.

The Carston is a lot more ski than most people need. Since we make all of our own skis we can afford to make small runs of specialty skis which are more aggressive "pro models" than other large factories.

I figured I would add some info to this thread since I couldn't find shit for info before I bought a pair, but at $271 shipped from SAC a bit ago, nothing to lose in trying them. Have yet to ski them in their intended habitat of pow or cream, but have skied a lot of hard pack, windbuff and variable conditions on them the last 4 or 5 days at Bridger. Mounted on the line and blown away at how versatile these are. I haven't been able to make myself take out my 186 Governors after skiing the CBs. They pivot and slarve as advertised and because they have so much damn glass in them, they are DAMP. No chatter what so ever. So rad to ski a full reverse ski and have 0 tip flap. I definitely ski them upright and right from the middle (don't pressure the front of boot like with the Govs). They are capable of doing any radius of turn due to how easy they pivot. I am looking forward to getting them in soft snow, but so far I'm really impressed by them. I can't believe how this ski slipped under the radar and is now obsolete. When they came out, I didn't give them a second glance. They make me really want to try some Meridian's now!
    I'll add more once I get them on some soft stuff.

Has anyone got on CBs that has also skied Renegades?

Subscribing to this. Found out about the chipotle banana last week. No idea why I had never heard of it before

Moment Chipotle Banana

There’s been more discussion in the Moment thread than in here for sure, surprised you didn’t notice any of that talk? I thought MegaStoke’s description of the Naner was pretty spot on when he was comparing them to the Ghost Train (I haven’t skied the GT or the Ren). New batch shipping on the 7th!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Anyone skied the purple Lotus 138s and the CBs? I have experience with the Lotus and it seems that the CB is a similar shape but just a tad narrower. It'd be great to hear any comparisons. It seems the purple L138 has more rocker, anyone able to confirm that? Also curious about flex characteristics between the two.

MOMENT SKIS DISCUSSION
    In a great way! Stiff A F! Definitely stiffest sticks I own. Ski from the foot (which I absolutely love) but need a ton of shin pressure, if you’re not over your knees these monsters throw you on their very unforgiving tails in a hurry. They slash and pivot faster than any ski I’ve ever been on and then beg to be driven fuckin hard, transitions from slash to arc are seamless if you put the work in. In the softer, super effortless and that burl ass tail will NOT let you down. Ski stoopid short, my 193’s ski waaaay shorter than my 187 Concepts but you can pressure into them and trust them through the shit like a full on 193. Just ridiculously fun but they will very much work you if you don’t work them, just fuckin phenomenally fun!!

Pulled eskido's description of the chippy nana from the moment thread. Thought it should be in this dedicated thread. After reading I'm not sure I can think of a ski I would like to try more than this. More reviews from actual users NOW

They freaking rip. My favorite soft snow skis ever, by a large margin. They’re very stable geniuses when blasting through crud and chop, but are more than happy to be cut sideways when you want to shut things down in a hurry. I mostly agree with the above post, although I feel like they’re less demanding than he’s making it sound.

I’d write more, but I’m about to go ski the nanners again today.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    very stable geniuses
    Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    ...I feel like they’re less demanding than he’s making it sound.
    Agreed, we had a very good December with basically nada up until then so our season went 0-100 in no time, so I was pretty out of shape and skiing very good very long days when I posted that (and it’s possible I had a couple cocktails). I will say though they are very much a charger and you definitely need to ski them as such when it gets chopped up but if you stay on top of em they are very rewarding. They are definitely monster trucks and will crush just about anything in their way which is great because they do not like following in others tracks, these things make their own turns and those turns are big fast and fun A F. When it’s really soft, these things are seriously effortless, super easy to get going way too fast and just slash a turn on a dime switch directions and just keep on going, really super fun and stoopid easy to ski pow, tree performance is pretty off the charts. They also just love to straight line and stomp just about anything, crazy confidence inspiring. And they have surprisingly low swing weight, like Stoke said, shockingly playful! Didn’t mean to go on that long but yeah, these things are really really friekin fun!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by phallic-menace View Post
    Subscribing to this. Found out about the chipotle banana last week. No idea why I had never heard of it before
    Even more ironic that the first post was five years ago, and then silence . . .
    . . .

Good to hear a little balance to that initial review. I'm looking to use this mainly as a pow day touring rig so the chances of it hitting super chopped up snow regularly is minimal, but happy to hear it can handle it if skied properly. Not exactly an aggressive skier but I do like to pop off little features here and there and tree performance is key which it looks like this would perform quite nicely at.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Agreed, we had a very good December with basically nada up until then so our season went 0-100 in no time, so I was pretty out of shape and skiing very good very long days when I posted that (and it’s possible I had a couple cocktails). I will say though they are very much a charger and you definitely need to ski them as such when it gets chopped up but if you stay on top of em they are very rewarding. They are definitely monster trucks and will crush just about anything in their way which is great because they do not like following in others tracks, these things make their own turns and those turns are big fast and fun A F. When it’s really soft, these things are seriously effortless, super easy to get going way too fast and just slash a turn on a dime switch directions and just keep on going, really super fun and stoopid easy to ski pow, tree performance is pretty off the charts. They also just love to straight line and stomp just about anything, crazy confidence inspiring. And they have surprisingly low swing weight, like Stoke said, shockingly playful! Didn’t mean to go on that long but yeah, these things are really really friekin fun!