Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Slinging tie over shoulder to piss

At the risk of stealing a topic for a future Old Larry post, I was recently at a biz conference and noticed that to a man, whenever someone parked themselves in front of the urinal, they flung their tie over their shoulder before commencing to piss.

This got me wondering as I've never felt I was in any danger of pissing on my tie, are people tying them longer these days?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

spray dude ... it's the potential spray

I've seen this as well; I've also seen it when certain people dine. I just don't get it...don't be a slob and you're fine. How hard is it?

But, to answer your question: I wear my tie the same length I always have: the point lands right at the middle of the belt between the buckle...so the ladies notice it pointing at my penis.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Urinals that are easier to experience splash, I could see it maybe as possibly. Should not be an issue as far as hitting the tie on the way down as it should not be hanging down to even reach the top of your zipper opening.

Spray? Are you guys twisting something near the nozzle to get a fine mist? Or do you mean backsplash?

I generally target one of the holes in bottom of the urinal and work my way around the pattern as the stream slows to minimize any backsplash.

It was standard procedure when I worked in the big law firm. One of the guys, an enlightened chap, stuffed his in the shirt pocket before whipping out unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    It was standard procedure when I worked in the big law firm. One of the guys, an enlightened chap, stuffed his in the shirt pocket before whipping out unit.
    The Dilbert.

I always like the urinals that go to the floor. For the same reason, I always use the urinals that sit lower than the others ("kids" urnials I guess?). When given the choice, I'd rather have spray on my knees than on my lap and hands.

I don't wear ties.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I've seen this as well; I've also seen it when certain people dine. I just don't get it...don't be a slob and you're fine. How hard is it?

But, to answer your question: I wear my tie the same length I always have: the point lands right at the middle of the belt between the buckle...so the ladies notice it pointing at my penis.
    The tie gets tucked into your shirt while dining, throwing it over your shoulder for anything other than pissing will make you look like a savage.

Haha. Ties.

Tie etiquette has change a bit since I started my practice. When I started, it was tie everyday. Then we dropped them for Fridays (unless in court). Now I wear a tie only for court appearance and arbitration hearings. I chuckle when a fellow attorney shows up at a deposition wearing a tie.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I always like the urinals that go to the floor. For the same reason, I always use the urinals that sit lower than the others ("kids" urnials I guess?). When given the choice, I'd rather have spray on my knees than on my lap and hands.

I don't wear ties.
    kids? or maybe wheelchair?
    but we'd never use the ADA stall, would we?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

I don't wear ties.
    You can use that sink behind you to wash your hands if you piss on them.

I haven't worn a tie in 20? years, but who wears a tie without a tie tack or clip?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post

I haven't worn a tie in 20? years, but who wears a tie without a tie tack or clip?
    Anyone wearing a tie in the last 20 years.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Ties were invented to cover up the piss splash stains on the front of your shirt....

If you don't shoulder flip the tie.... it's defeating the whole object of wearing one in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If you think about it a tie is a pretty strange garment. Tying a strip of material around your neck as some kind of fashion statement? Is the idea that you need to hide those unsightly shirt buttons, or what?

The idea of a bow tie is clear, though. It's "look at me! I'm sort of wacky, don't ya think?"

RE: piss spray

So these guys are getting piss spray all over their shirts and that's OK but on the tie, no fucking way?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

You wash shirts after you wear them. How often do you wash a tie?

I used to work with a couple of women who got totally grossed out if a guy emerged from the bathroom with his tie over his shoulder. I told them it was mostly so it wouldn't dangle into the basin while he was washing his hands but that didn't seem to make them feel better
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

The idea of a bow tie is clear, though. It's "look at me! I'm sort of wacky, don't ya think?"
    Look at me.... I have prostate issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You wash shirts after you wear them. How often do you wash a tie?
    True, but walking around with a yellow stained shirt seems gross. I haven't noticed the spray factor, but perhaps my pressure is low.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Tie etiquette has change a bit since I started my practice. When I started, it was tie everyday. Then we dropped them for Fridays (unless in court). Now I wear a tie only for court appearance and arbitration hearings. I chuckle when a fellow attorney shows up at a deposition wearing a tie.
    I show up at depositions wearing a tie. RESPECT THE PROCESS!!!!!!
    Note: I am also opposed to wearing jeans to work...unless you are a rail work, ranch hand, or panning for gold...then Levis are acceptable.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Ties were invented to cover up the piss splash stains on the front of your shirt....

If you don't shoulder flip the tie.... it's defeating the whole object of wearing one in the first place.
    Huh. And here I thought ties, cuffs and collars were to take the abuse so as to leave that one shirt last the entire length between baths in old Yurp.

Jesus, are there really that many men in America who can't take a piss without soiling themselves? And despite the inability to keep their urine inside a giant porcelain bowl mounted directly on the wall for that very purpose, they still managed to get a J.D. AND get a job with a major law firm? THIS is BigLaw's best and brightest?

I have spilled plenty of food on ties over the years, but I cannot recall ever having yellow stains on one from the urinal. if this is really a problem for these lions of the bar, I suggest they wear exclusively gold-colored ties, and that they hire a "life coach" to teach them how not to piss on themselves.

I probably should come out in this thread and admit I pissed on my lift ticket last weekend. By accident mind you, but it took me a second or two to realize what was happening, so I got myself pretty good. I felt guilty each time the lift attendant grabbed it and scanned it with the handheld.