DPS Cassiar 95 anybody ride them?

What are they like? How do they compare to 99. Read all about them curious what others say?

Looking for a groomer/hard snow ski? Think Marx after windbuffed to almost groomed hard perfection.

Haven't skied the 95 but ran into a guy last week on them. He and I have both skied the 99, he prefers the 95 due to the flat tail. I'm quite intrigued by these and they seem to be flying under the radar. FWIW he had them mounted with NTN.

That's all I know....

I already ski the 99 pure. Not pure 3 but the first year of the 99 pure. Love the ski but I overlap a bit with my 112rpc pure3's as I seem to pull out the rpc everyday because they really rail groomers. Gets to be a lot of torque on knees with a 115 underfoot carving all day. I'm a puss interested in longevity.

Home hills are the Big Sky/ Bridger area so we get snow but also can get dry for extended periods...sometimes. fwiw

I've spent some time on the Cassiar 95 Pure...gonna get more time on a test pair in the next few weeks, skied the 99 Pure and Hybrid as well. To me, the Cassiar 95 has a wider range of terrain affinity than the Wailer, but nods toward the frontside/groomers with its geometry. The more I ski the Cassiar 95, the more I like it. If you have the 99 Pure, the Cassiar 95 will feel more damp, more well-mannered and a stronger carving tool with a higher speed limit than the 99 which can get a bit twitchy at higher-end speeds. The Cassiar 95 feels like it feeds more progressively into a turn when you tip it up on edge and either pounce on it or pressure it gradually. The 99 can feel more hooky or darty if you pounce on it too hard at a high edge angle, or something grabs the shovel off-angle. The Cassiar 95 is more resilient to crud and odd materials in the surface...more of a "tracker" than a "floater:" The Cassiar 95 can deliver a more traditional feel when locked into a carve...GS-style...than the 99. I found the Cassiar quieter at speed and more confidence-inspiring than the 99. Some folks never quite "get" the Wailer 99 because of its turning behavior, while more people seem to jump on the Cassiar 95 and "get it" right away. The Cassiar 95 works really well in soft snow, even with its low-lying shovel. It is not as surfy feeling as the 99, but feels less hooky and tolerates more stance changes than the 99. The Cassiar 95 feels a bit heavier underfoot and in responsiveness than the Wailer 99, but then again, some folks think the Wailer 99 is too twitchy for their taste. Cassiar 95s are better crud-cutters, in my opinion, after some time on them...but I need more time on them to be really confident about that statement. I think heavier or stronger skiers will like the Cassiar better for those non-powder stretches at any ski area, while lighter skiers might like the Wailer 99.

Overall, the new Cassiar 95 is an addicting ride for a daily driver where frontside is more frequently in the forecast than back country. They can deliver serious trench-digging, high-angle, hip dragging carves with a quick-adjust turn shape on-demand, yet crank through the crud and soft snow with great stability and very little effort, and no hint of the twitchy or darty behavior some people experience with the Wailer 99. I own a pair of Wailer 112 hybrids, and I would absolutely choose the Cassiar 95 over the Wailer 99 for a companion ski to the Wailer 112...no questions asked. If the snow is poofy at all, grab the Wailer 112s, if the situation is predominantly groomers or old, skied-out snow, grab the Cassiar 95s.

Stay tuned for a full review as soon as we get more snow here in Vermont!
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Ideally which binding would you mount on the 95s? Inbounds ski, inbounds binding?

has anyone ridden the new stormriders and have a comparison? they sound like similar skis.

with the new enforcer there seem to be options for those that like a lively hard snow ski but are looking for a more modern shape.

Quote Originally Posted by adviljunky View Post
    Ideally which binding would you mount on the 95s? Inbounds ski, inbounds binding?
    I would mount in-bounds binders....

I'm one of the guys who get the 99. Loved it from day 1 but I have rpc too and well they overlap some except tinge rpc is bigger and that's best for new snow.

Looking for a ski for those in between snow days.

I currently love my rpc on groomer days but that gets to be tougher on knees laying that 115 over all day.

Does the 95 release the way you can make the 99?

I really don't understand why someone would pay for a ski like this when there are so many outstanding options in this class of ski that are better and cheaper. Is it exclusivity?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I really don't understand why someone would pay for a ski like this when there are so many outstanding options in this class of ski that are better and cheaper. Is it exclusivity?
    Who pays retail? I need to know so that when some dentist is finished with his trip to vail and decides his dps isn't new enough I can pounce

Quote Originally Posted by vailcat View Post
    I'm one of the guys who get the 99. Loved it from day 1 but I have rpc too and well they overlap some except tinge rpc is bigger and that's best for new snow.

Looking for a ski for those in between snow days.

I currently love my rpc on groomer days but that gets to be tougher on knees laying that 115 over all day.

Does the 95 release the way you can make the 99?
    IMHO the 95 releases more gradually, behaves more like a traditional carving ski in that sense. Easier to release than a traditional carver, harder to release than the 99...in between. You have to pay attention if you release a traditional carver mid-arc, while the Cassiar 95 can be released anywhere in its arc and it does whatever you want it to without any odd side-effects. The Wailer 99 releases easier, but it wants to go into a more smeary mode when released than the 95...if that makes any sense...

I'm a dps feel guy. I've been on them quite a while and whenever I get on something else it's like they took away the "fun" of the ski. Just dead and not there imvso. That's just me though so don't try to understand me. It'll only make you shake your head.

They do have 14 day return so ill bust them out and if I feel it's not there back they go.

Ill report back after I plow some laps. I'm really interested in how they feel and ski in 3" stuff or day old stuff. Been on the dps surfier stuff for a while now so a directional ski is going to be different. Good or bad I dunno but I'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    6 minute long super slow motion deep powder videos containing about 12 seconds of real time skiing are extremely expensive to put together.

Got a few days on these.

Impressed.

Had 4" wet snow today on top of frozen snow/super hard pack ect.

I mached all day in them. Was really really impressed with the crud busting.

As exotic said it can release at any point in turn not quite as easy as wailer but iit is flat fun the way you can slide it then lock in the edges and power out a turn thru mank and stuff.

Once again super impressed with dampness and crud busting ability.

I haven't skied on anything close to this size since my bandit 3s as far as waist goes and I haven't owned a carve ski since maybe my Rossi xx's even theough that was considered all mountain or whatever.

Really like them will be riding them on those days between fresh or with tiny amounts of fresh. Fwiw