Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool TR: Grizzly Couloir 4.12.05

TR: Grizzly Couloir 4.12.05
    SheRa, iskibc, Marmot
    Grizzly Peak 13,427’

The journey begins on the side of the mountain highway, where gleaming headlights pierce the nighttime darkness as they zip by the roadside pullout. Tail lights fade into the mountainside and then after a few moments the tail wind whips through. The stars and moon dance in and out of the swiftly moving clouds overhead as the previous storm makes its exit out of the high country. Several minutes go by and the third person in our party shows up, dumps his stuff in the truck and we quickly head off for our starting point 8 miles up the road. The higher we climb up the dark and winding road, the stronger the winds grow and the faster the clouds move across the sky.

We reach our starting point at 11,900’ to howling winds from all directions and mysterious cloud formations engulfing mountaintops. We geared up quickly and started our climb up the divide towards the ridge. The ridgeline was scoured from the strong winds over the previous 12 hours, so we boot-packed the entire way. Grizzly Peak is a little less than 3 miles from Loveland Pass, but the climb includes a lot of elevation loss and gain along the way. We reached the top of the ridge just as the sun was rising to the east and got some great morning views of the clouds moving out of the state to the south and the high pressure building in from the west.

Looking to the east towards Torrey's:

Looking to the north:

The wind was brutal as it never let up during our traverse over to Grizzly.

The traverse:

After an hour or so on the traverse we came to the last steep climb up Grizzly. Marmot and I summitted shortly after 10:30 AM to calm breezes and bluebird sky.

It was amazing how quickly the storm and clouds blew out as we sat back against some rocks and took in the silence and power of the mountains surrounding us.

SheRa reached the summit shortly after and we put on our skis and made our way down the spiny and narrow ridgeline to the top of the couloir.

SheRa making her way up to the summit:

It took us several minutes before we found the couloir, as it is somewhat hidden beneath a large cornice and deeply etched in the towering cliffs of the mountainside. Everything looked different from this past summer when Duph and I stood atop the same couloir. Instead of a small 3 foot cornice lip, there was a monstrous 30 foot overhanging mass of snow. We examined the couloir from every direction possible to figure out the easiest way to enter. Marmot found a side entrance that would include side slipping down an icy 55 degree pitch, and then climbing back up the softer sunny side of the slope. We all agreed on the plan and made a go for it. Marmot entered first with much success and SheRa followed. I spotted from above and made my way onto the steep slope once everyone was safe. The warmth of the sun had turned the slope we were set to climb into mashed potatoes. Probably not the safest conditions to be climbing in, but we had already committed to the line and there was no turning back.

Marmot:

SheRa and Marmot reached the top of the couloir, just underneath the cornice and were resting on a spine. I climbed up next to SheRa with very minimal room to move and rest. A fall in this zone would result in pinballing off of the jagged rocks and cliffs below. The rush of adrenaline was intense, as it had been since last summer since we had gotten into to something similar. It felt good; it felt good to be home. This is where my love for skiing and mountaineering feed and grow. Marmot got onto the slope and found a bomber pack. Some new snow bonded very well with a rock solid base. Marmot snapped into his bindings and made tight turns down through the choke.

There was a good 10 inches of light new snow in the couloir which made for some amazing turns. Marmot got in a safe zone and radioed up to us that he was safe and ready for the next skier to come down. I squeezed by SheRa on the spiny ledge and carefully stepped into my bindings.

I looked down into the couloir, bit my lip, and pushed off into the abyss. The snow was light and smooth.

Smile

The steepness of the couloir was noticed after my second turn when I hip checked the slope. Tight turns were a must since the walls of the shot were within a few feet from arms reach. SheRa followed after I got into a safe zone and absolutely nailed it. Big grins were plastered on our faces and we still had another thousand feet of vert to work with down the couloir.

iskibc:

About halfway down the couloir the snow began to get heavy, but the turns were still buttery smooth and there were no signs of instabilities in the pack. This slope was solid and it wasn’t going anywhere.

SheRa:

I exited the couloir and bombed down to the trees across the valley to watch SheRa and Marmot make their way out of the couloir.

Marmot went first and linked some nice turns to the apron and then popped off a rock feature just below.

SheRa’s turn was next and she made some tight turns in the couloir before opening it up and straight lining down the apron to the trees.

Moments after she got done with her run I snapped this pic which explains the mood of everyone:

Amazing! We took in the day glancing up at the run we had just come out of and soaked in the sun. The day couldn’t have gotten any nicer.

We skied a little more down to the trail and skied out along the 4X4 road. Several miles later we ended up at the truck drop-off in Bakerville. There was a long silence when Marmot broke the news to us that he had left his keys in SheRa’s truck at the top of the pass, 8 miles up the highway! Bakerville is basically just an exit with a turnaround and a dirt parking lot. Not many people exit here because there’s no need to exit. So, SheRa and I began walking down the on ramp and started to hitch. 25 minutes later a nice construction worker from Vail picked us up and brought us up to the pass.

Marmot snuck this pic in of us getting a ride:

After picking up the trucks we made our way back down to Bakerville, picked up Marmot and hit up the Red Ram in Georgetown for some beers and burgers. It was great meeting and talking to Marmot about his 14er accomplishment, as well as chatting up some future lines and ideas. Overall, an amazing day spent in the backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    TR: Grizzly Couloir 4.12.05
    SheRa, iskibc, Marmot
    Grizzly Peak 13,427’

ME WANT SOME!!!!!!

The Colorado Slayers upping the ante. Nice work.

Sickness once again. TGR board stoke meter pegged like never before.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

sweet!

fucking sweet you guys.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Man, BC tr's coming from everywhere! You all
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.

Super nice line.

Did you ski that last summer too?

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    Super nice line.

Did you ski that last summer too?
    Yeah, back in June of last year. It was a lot narrower last summer. I've been waiting for that sucker all year to get safe enough for a winter descent.

Very Nice! Why do kayaking and spring skiing season have to be coincident?

just to make you suffer.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Great line!

How long did it take you to summit Grizzly from LP?

CAW! CAW!
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

mmm, jealous. That looks nice.
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

Tight lines for $100 please, Alex!

fkna!!

The board is lit up with kickass TR's from all over. Giddyup!

Nice job! That is a sweet couloir!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

fkna iskibc. nice TR. Nice to see the CO mags getting after it!

Quote Originally Posted by GFP
    Great line!

How long did it take you to summit Grizzly from LP?
    I think the guys took 2.5 hours and I was less than half an hour behind. I'm proud of that because these two guys are freaking amazing at getting themselves up a mountain. It was such a priviledge to ski with Dave and Jay - must've died and gone to ski mountaineering heaven.

Happy to nail a line that I thought was too much for me. It was a lot wider than the summer trip from last year, but I still had to commit to going. The night before I was just staring at those old pictures and asking myself how I was going to do it. Try to go to bed and sleep without being scared. But it was a truly perfect bc day.

The jump turns in the top section were totally cool - powder jump turns. So much fun. Dave did the snow analysis on this shot and it was money. I was totally freaked by that giant cornice hanging over us, but it was still cool temps so we snuck by.

There are a lot of awesome TRs up right now. Love it! Maggots killing it!

Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Way to schralp the gnar and get after it, great work, and way outta my league. It takes some serious doing to drop into that couloir with that cornice looming above and not having touched snow all day.

Knowledge is Powder

gagga gagga gagga gagga gagga....

I give it a 5/5 dancing John B's...propa'

OH HELL YEAHHHHH!
    Way to get after it, great line...
    i skied that a bunch of summers ago, but there was nowhere near as much snow.
    Sick, Sick, Sick
    -SS

Awesome report! I've climbed Grizzley 3 times and never thought to look down the otherside of the peak for the couloir. Giving me some great ideas.
    Living the good life.

CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CAW!

sick shit!
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.