No Wimping out on Wimpy's

Most of you on this forum have no doubt already heard about, seen interweb reports, watched weather reports or maybe even experienced the storm that hit the Tetons this past weekend. I had set up to ski with one of the Exum guides, Aaron Dahill on the 4th of January and we had talked about maybe doing the South Teton. As the day approached and the storm got bigger, we opted for a safer objective. I was secretly apprehensive about skiing something named "Wimpy's Knob". (A cursory Google search didn't seem to reveal why the mountain had that name). So my assumption is that it is where people end up who "wimp out" on some other bigger objective. So, I guess I fit the name.

Anyway, we talked about hitting it twice and in the end, it really didn't take much convincing from Aaron to get me back up for two full laps. I must confess that as the client, I didn't do a lot of lead work on the skin track, BUT I did do a little bit.

Access to this little gem in the winter is from the "end of the road" at Death Canyon. The skin in is about 3 miles of slight uphill. We were first on the track after 8:00 AM on a Sunday morning, which really surprised me. Too many hang overs I guess???

During our first ascent we were caught by a group of three locals about 800 feet from the summit. Aaron knew them and they were cool and set the skin track from there up, (I had just finished my pathetic little stint). On the second lap, we had the slight advantage of having at least 2-3 others who had followed us up and had kept the track somewhat cleared.

It was snowing / blowing all day, (I think JH reported 21 inches during that 24 hr period). As a result, there wasn't a lot of scenery to photograph. I think Aaron may have got some photos and I'll post them up later if they turn out. I pretty much always have the GoPro running, especially on the descents, so I got some pretty decent footage of what it looks like to be choking on powder in the "deep and white".

Our stats for the day ended up being just over 6,500 feet climbed/skied, 10.5 miles car-to-car and over 8 1/2 hours out in the mountains. The video below is a GoPro TR, mainly of the descent stuff. If you don't like the GoPro stuff, then wait for the pics, but it does a pretty good job of showcasing the experience of skiing deep, light, untracked powder. For me, this was one of my best powder days ever, (I don't live close enough to the real goods to get this kind of stuff all of the time). For those of you that do, it truly is an enviable lifestyle. I applaud those who have managed to integrate skiing into their life where they can enjoy this kind of stuff on a regular basis.

We should always enjoy these types of experiences, have fun and above all else, come back home safe!

Happy New Year everyone!!!

well played sir
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Nice work.

The name whimpys comes from Dave Moore and friends because they felt whimpy amid high avalanche danger not going for the summit of Albright.
    Last edited by _Aaron_; 01-08-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

this brings back memories we did this one 4 years ago with exum guide nat partridge. dragged us up the hill and like you, it was one of the best days we have had on skis.
    Last edited by corien; 01-07-2015 at 09:46 AM.

Good work. Nice timing for a couple Whimpys laps.

Sick! Those look like some tasty human powered laps
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Thanks !! enjoyed great stoke

Nice - wish we had your snow

nothing whimpy about wimpy's... had some stellar (and often COLD) days on 25 short, wimpy's, maverick's, and other "little" objectives in GTNP. thanks for the stoke!

Just stumbled across this thread. We, LBSki and I did Whimpy's and 25' Short on back to back days shortly after this (in Jan '15) under bue bird skies (and a minus degree start, until out of the valley inversion.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2559.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	192887

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	192888

This could have been either 25' Short or Whimpy's, both were fantastic.
    Last edited by hutash; 11-18-2016 at 04:03 PM.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot