2 Fatalities on Descent, el Potrero

This is some awful stuff:

http://www.climbing.com/news/two-cli...-chico-mexico/

I'm going to the gym to practice tying safety knots. jesus.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Yep, knot the ends of your rappel rope. An all too common accident.

While I love the convenience of a rappel, I prefer an easy walk off.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

really sad. a good reminder to take even then mundane things seriously in the mountains. sounds like these guys had a lot of experience. thoughts to friends and family.

Super shitty.

Prevented an accident at Church Bowl (Ahwahnee area) back in college by yelling at somebody who somehow thought their rope was on the ground and the ends were still about 20-25 feet up. Almost rapped off the end and would have without me yelling at them. No knots. Had to build an anchor in an awkward spot. I was on lead on something easy a little ways over and just happened to be looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I watched and heard a guy rap off the end of his rope while he was doing a fix and blast on rainbow buttress and I was setting up a ledge on spaceshot.

Absolutely terrifying. The thud echoing in the empty wintertime Zion canyon will live with me forever.

Knot your rope!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

It's knot that hard. Jeebus!

spook Guest
    wow that would suck having the last thoughts going through your head being I'm going to die because I didn't tie a knot on the end of my rope.

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    really sad. a good reminder to take even then mundane things seriously in the mountains. sounds like these guys had a lot of experience. thoughts to friends and family.
    Yeah, simple mistake and it's over.. makes me queasy seeing more committed and experienced climbers drop the ball. Humbling shit.

Stuff like that is why I don't mind keeping my climbing to a gym.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    Stuff like that is why I don't mind keeping my climbing to a gym.
    Yeah, no one has ever been lowered off the end of a rope at a gym. You're probably more likely to die driving to the gym than getting lowering off the end of a rope as well.

Tragic indeed. I have climbed both of those routes with my wife. Sad times in a happy place. Vibes to their families.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Yeah, no one has ever been lowered off the end of a rope at a gym. You're probably more likely to die driving to the gym than getting lowering off the end of a rope as well.
    Not to mention all the nasty cooties in the shower. I'll stick with outdoor climbing and just knot my rappels.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Mr Darwin to the white courtesy phone please!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

2 Fatalities on Descent, el Potrero

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    While I love the convenience of a rappel, I prefer an easy walk off.
    Agreed. When I have to rappel it's knots if it's multi pitch and a prusik for a backup. Then again I'm a super wuss and anchor and back things up at a greater level than some of my friends. I'd rather be slower and safer.

A cotributor of ours was down for for a climbing trip when it happened. pretty moving story from her perspective here: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ad...ath-in-potrero
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I watched and heard a guy rap off the end of his rope while he was doing a fix and blast on rainbow buttress and I was setting up a ledge on spaceshot.

Absolutely terrifying. The thud echoing in the empty wintertime Zion canyon will live with me forever.

Knot your rope!
    Did he died?

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Did he died?
    Did not died. I cleaned and rapped down and tracked him down at the hospital very late that night.

Full body bruise, no fractures. He hit the only tree out there which broke his fall enough not to died him.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague