Thread: Favorite salsa?

Favorite salsa?

For the grocery store stuff I like the Religious Experience medium and the Herdez Salsa Verde.

Homemade my favorite, without a doubt, is roasted tomatillo salsa. I usually take about a half dozen tomatillos, 3 garlic cloves peeled, 3 jalapenos seeded, 1 serrano seeded, 1 small white onion sliced into 1/4" slices, and 1 lime and grill them all off on aluminum foil over very high heat until the they get kind of blackened and blistered. Then I toss it all into the food processor (only the juice of the lime and not the whole thing obviously) and buzz it with some fresh cilantro, a tablespoon of good olive oil, and a touch of S&P. It's easy and delicious!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

That kind from New York City.
    I still call it The Jake.

Mrs. Renfro's Green

thanks to bunion for the rec-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

NEW YORK CITY?

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

I've been enjoying mrs renfro's peach habanero lately. Not usually into the fruity stuff, but this is tasty on my eggs.
    focus.

Diana's
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've never been much of a dancer.

Your best bet for pre-made and high quality is to find a real mexican grocery store and buy their in-house stuff. Our super mercado has 6 different salsas including guacamole that are both cheaper and better than I can make at home.

I've ordered Religious Experience to be shipped back to VT since I first bought it 10 years ago in the Golden, CO Safeway.

Casa Sanchez is excellent. The hot and roasted tomatoes are my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    For the grocery store stuff I like the Religious Experience medium and the Herdez Salsa Verde.

Homemade my favorite, without a doubt, is roasted tomatillo salsa. I usually take about a half dozen tomatillos, 3 garlic cloves peeled, 3 jalapenos seeded, 1 serrano seeded, 1 small white onion sliced into 1/4" slices, and 1 lime and grill them all off on aluminum foil over very high heat until the they get kind of blackened and blistered. Then I toss it all into the food processor (only the juice of the lime and not the whole thing obviously) and buzz it with some fresh cilantro, a tablespoon of good olive oil, and a touch of S&P. It's easy and delicious!
    A little less easy but IMHO better is taking those ingredients and at the food processor stage putting it in a pan with 1/2 a beer (doesn't need to be good) and stewing it a little until most of the beer is evaporated. Then once everything is mush just squish it up/stir it with a fork, refrigerate, and eat. I prefer my salsa to have texture, so am not a blender/processor fan.

nobody has mentioned cilantro

yes or no??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

@Tip Will try that variation this week for sure. Hawt!

Could make the Rick Bayless carnitas and then toss them with a splash of that salsa in a skillet right before adding them to some grilled corn tortillas for tacos. Add a bit of pickled red onion and crumbled cotija on top. Oh shit.

Yeah that's a new suggestion to me as well. I like it.

Haven't been making salsa recently but I was experimenting with a bit of powdered, roasted pumpkin seeds mixed in. I liked it, but I like pepian sauces, and it wasn't for everyone. It also was better with less lime than I usually use. I don't have a recipe though, salsa's a freestyle sport

And cilantro is good unless it tastes soapy to you. But then you shouldn't need anyone's advice to not use it.

Damn, Cruiser, our tastes are eerily similar. That's pretty much exactly the same salsa recipe I make all summer (our garden reliably turns out a metric fuckton of tomatillos).

In general, I think salsa verde is your best bet for jarred salsa - the best ones are really good, and even the bad ones aren't too bad. Unlike jarred red salsa, which often tastes like repurposed marinara sauce (and I have a suspicion that's exactly what it is, at least for big store brands where they also make marinara). Frontera is probably my favorite jarred salsa verde.

Fresh salsas from the local Mexican groceries are hit or miss in my area. Same with the housemade kimchis from the Asian markets - some are great, some not so much (the kimchi from the Asian Seafood Market in Boulder tastes strongly of ammonia, for example).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

doughboyshredder Guest
    Most store bought hot sauces and salsas are garbage.

But, if you can't take the time to make your own Mrs. Sharps Belizean hot sauce is where it's at. http://www.mariesharps-bz.com/

I have quite a few great hot sauce recipes. I might share a couple when I have a minute.

I will say one thing, adding oil is really not a good idea as that can contribute to the growth of bad stuff if you're not going to eat it the same day.

I prefer vinegar based sauces and use a PH tester to make sure there's no risk of Botulism growth.

Generally my favorite hot sauce recipe is carrots, habaneros, onions, garlic and mango along with apple cider vinegar and a little bit of lime. Brought to a boil and pureed in a high speed blender.

Favorite salsa recipe is diced tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro. I soak the onions and jalapenos in vinegar along with some habaneros and garlic for at least a few days before dicing them up. I will add habaneros for an ultra burner, but not many people can handle that so usually it's just the jalapenos, which already have an extra kick from soaking with the habaneros.

While we're straying from the OP's intent sauce-wise: I made a homemade Adobo sauce last night that was pretty fucking good.

4 each New Mexico, Ancho, and Chipotle chilis, stewed in a quart of Chicken stock with a can of frozen OJ concentrate in it, as well as 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and the secret ingedient: 2 tbsp fish sauce. Used said sauce to make Carne Adovada. Fucking YUM.

Here's the recipe I based it on: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/t...ised-pork.html

I only make my own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1420524332539.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	162325  
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    nobody has mentioned cilantro

yes or no??
    100% yes. I don't know if it's distributed in your area, but "Fresh Is Best" is bar none the best salsa I've ever had. It's a B.C product, not cooked and heavy on the flavor including cilantro. Safeway and Save On both carry it. Shit costs like 5.50 for a small container, but I get it every time.

Some people hate cilantro. They have a genetic deficiency.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

never heard of it eh, I like Ziggys which is often available at loblaws outlets in the refrigerated section, I like lots of cilantro
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know