Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RIP to 2 US Ski Team Athletes

SOELDEN, Austria – The U.S. Ski Team is mourning the loss of two promising development level ski racers killed Monday morning in an avalanche in Soelden. The two were among a group of six athletes freeskiing at the Austrian resort. The other four skied out of the slide and were not injured.
    Killed in the avalanche were Ronnie Berlack, 20, of Franconia, N.H., and Burke Mountain, Vt., and Bryce Astle, 19, of Sandy, Utah
    http://skiracing.com/stories/2-us-sk...den-avalanche/

Sad news

Well this is just shitty news. RIP

Very sad.

Apparently it was a massive slide, and if I've understood correctly, ran onto a closed piste. No transcievers: http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/94...n-getötet.csp

Google translate:

The avalanche was described by mountain rescuers as "huge". Parts of the snow went up to the locked because of avalanche danger "Piste 30" from, on which there was no skiing on Monday. In use were 60 rescuers, alpine police and search dogs. Since the victim did not carry emergency equipment, the location and recovery was difficult.
    Sketchy conditions around here atm.

sad news. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    Very sad.

Apparently it was a massive slide, and if I've understood correctly, ran onto a closed piste. No transcievers: http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/94...n-getötet.csp

they corrected the report, it wasnt on a closed piste, the slide just reached a closed ski run. massive slide, buried 3 to 4 m deep, no beacons...

so many avalanches over here at the moment (especially in Ötztal), stay safe out there.

freak~[&]

Very sad news.

The article says they were burried 3 to 4 meters deep and did not carry safety equipment. Apparently they skied something off Gaislachkogel and down to Rettenbachtal. This would be starting and ending at groomers (though not controlled or behind any kind of boundary as is common in Europe).

In neighbouring Obergurgl there was an avalanche fatality yesterday and an avalanche with a partially burried person today. Further avalanches without people getting hurt but with authorities being alerted in Obergurgl, Pitztal and Stubai. The number of incidents over the past few days has been very high. The Tyrolean avalanche forecasting service has a blog where they published an impressive collection of images on saturday:
    http://lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.co...rsportler.html
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

** Vibes ** to the families and the teammates. Two young talents taken too early. RIP

3-4 meters deep and no amount of safety equipment will help you.

Bummer, RIP

I was just in Utah this past few days a happened to to share a chairlift with Bryce's father. He was telling us how stoked his kid was to be skiing the Europa cup. Total bummer. I believe there are 2 other sons as well. Devastating blow.

Vibes and condolences.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

VVVVV sad day VVVV
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

so sad.... RIP

RIP guys. We're working on a post on the main site now... vibes!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Posted this in the Slide Zone thread:
    I'm sure I've seen Ronnie ripping gates at Burke. RIP both skiers.

Ronnie's stomping grounds (Burke foreground and Cannon/Franconia ridge in back).
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

sincere condolences to both families and their friends. just plain terrible.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Sad to lose anyone in an avalanche, double sad for being so young and full of life still.

RIP.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I've known Bryce, his brothers and his parents for ten years. Bryce and his younger brother Chris were part altachic's crew of AYC groms when Bryce was maybe 6. It is completely surreal reading this. I can't fathom the agony his family must be going through right now.

very sad; condolences to all involved.

Does anybody know exactly where it was? Maybe off to skier's left off #1 red run? I ski here almost weekend and trying to get my bearing where this was...I'm only assuming it was on the big wide north facing slope which leads right down to the blue run/ gletscherstraße. I just returned from Nätschen where slides were EVERYWHERE on the weekend..Be safe out there.

RIP, so sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Does anybody know exactly where it was? Maybe off to skier's left off #1 red run? I ski here almost weekend and trying to get my bearing where this was...I'm only assuming it was on the big wide north facing slope which leads right down to the blue run/ gletscherstraße.
    yes. there are pictures on the blog of the tiroler lawinenwarndienst.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Terrain. Trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Does anybody know exactly where it was? Maybe off to skier's left off #1 red run? I ski here almost weekend and trying to get my bearing where this was...I'm only assuming it was on the big wide north facing slope which leads right down to the blue run/ gletscherstraße. I just returned from Nätschen where slides were EVERYWHERE on the weekend..Be safe out there.

http://lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.co...n-letzten.html

According to that people we still skiing the area during the rescue operation...

That's sad, just kids.
    They don't do much control work in the Alps, or this was just a freak accident? I figured they do a lot of control work in yurp.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I've skied that terrain many times before. It's basically between Piste 1 and Piste 30 but it's quite steep and skiing it in such conditions without a beacon is crazy. Very sad.

http://www.soelden.com/urlaub/files/...,prop=data.jpg
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    That's sad, just kids.
    They don't do much control work in the Alps, or this was just a freak accident? I figured they do a lot of control work in yurp.
    Groomed pistes are protected/controlled, and in some places a few marked but ungroomed trails get bombed.

Everything else is wild and you take responsibility for yourself. Nothing freaky about the accident given the current conditions.