Thread: Headed to Maui

Headed to Maui

Just like the title says, next week I'm headed to Maui for a week. I'm looking to see if anyone has some suggestions on some mellow spots? Could be a longboard spot or shortboard wave. Just looking for something with less of a crowd. Any shop recommendations for a good board rental? I'll be staying on the north side of the island, but am willing to drive. Thanks for any help.

Not many mello surf spots on north shore. If there is any swell on the other side check out thousand peaks, mello and yes miles of peaks. Or not as mello try dumps.

Go See Carl at Hawaiian Island surf and sport, I'll mention you will stop in, PM me your name. I own the Bike shop in the same building. Bring shoe and shorts if you want to ride the new mountain bike park or Makawao State forrest. Surf was good size today, bit windy. In the mornings paddle out at Kanaha or ask the guys at that shop whats up.

Paia bay can be okay too. South side likely flat.

Maui no kai ohi! aka Maui is the best...

When you say staying up North side, whatcha talking about?

Regardless the Breakwall in Lahaina is a great spot to learn. Keep in mind as someone mentioned your in the thick of NW swell season. So places like the Bay may be firing.. Hyatt reef or whatever the wave infront of the hotels in Kanalapli see lots of beginners..

Have fun, Maui's never too crowded!

^Guy asks for mellow breaks and you're sending him to the Bay?? OP, If you're white, don't paddle out at the Bay.

There are decent mellow breaks west of Kahului. There's also the harbour. Embassy, the break media310 is thinking of, breaks over razor sharp reef. S-Turns is a better option. DT Flemming is also good. Hookipa is a decent option, but mind the rip.

Get Paia Fish Market. Great place for a fish sandwich.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Staying in Lahaina until Sunday. Thanks for all the responses/suggestions. Hoping not to get destroyed on rock/reef while her. I know the routine for outa towners, don't sit on the peak, let a lot roll past, pick off what I can and have a positive vibe in the water. So that being said which place would I be less likely to get destroyed by the ocean and locals?

not surf related, but Leftover Salmon is on Maui this week for several shows:

http://leftoversalmon.com/site/tour/

go see Leftover!! And for "The Bay" go be a spectator. Everywhere has reef just be mindful. Also checkout Pumana

You should be pretty safe anywhere between the old Lahaina pier and Blackrock

High surf advisory from 6pm today, peaking tomorrow. Winds from the NNE. The north and east side of the island should be going off. Waters have been murky for snorkling most of our trip.

Another vote for the new bike park! A bit short but a very nice mix of terrain and tech. The local kids are loving the pump tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    ^Guy asks for mellow breaks and you're sending him to the Bay?? OP, If you're white, don't paddle out at the Bay.

There are decent mellow breaks west of Kahului. There's also the harbour. Embassy, the break media310 is thinking of, breaks over razor sharp reef. S-Turns is a better option. DT Flemming is also good. Hookipa is a decent option, but mind the rip.

Get Paia Fish Market. Great place for a fish sandwich.
    I use to live in Maui and surfed the bay a lot............. 2/3 of the lineup is white.

...and is tan and they live there. Or are pros.

just go one bay north to find the brown skinned locals, they may even offer up some free howlie punch. Won't ever forget running up the beach bloody.. Luckily some locals let me jump in the back of their truck.. Or I would have been much worse off

Worst part is the "locals" most are non Hawaiian. or that was the case in 98

...and is tan and they live there. Or are pros.
    You must have been a real weenie to somebody-that is a total haole break. No "pros" are surfing, more likely some kids who get free stickers and shit.

To quote, "Jajajajajajaaa!"

To quote, "Jajajajajajaaa!"
    He is the best isn't he? Loved his methy response in the Kona thread. If it ever snows I bet he gets red coned this year!

Ummmmm he is laughing at you..... And he isn't the only one..jajaja

Headed to Kihei tomorrow for buddy's surprise b-day trip from his wife. She is staying home with their toddler. I know summer is kind of hit or miss, maybe more miss, for surfing in Maui.

This looks like the best bet for us as far as I can tell. Tuesday to Thursday will be our window. Anything good to know about this spot? Other recommendations?

https://magicseaweed.com/Lahaina-Har...f-Report/4287/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

“How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I quickly read this as “Headed to Maul”. I thought ice was at it again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Yeah, good to know there are at least going to be some waves. Wind looks onshore over there this coming week and offshore on West Side. So will likely end up going with waves closer to Kihei.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

So ended up having a pretty rad trip to Maui! Was mostly flat prior to me and my buddy getting there. When we arrived 3-4' swell picked up for a few days, and then faded when we left last Thursday night.

Checked out a few rental options and Hi Tech in Kahului was easily the best. Got a 7'6" Firewire Wingnut with a bag for 4 days for $90. Was stoked not to have to deal with flying with mine, not to mention shallow sharp things. Super fun and responsive board! Next board might be a Firewire fish.

Papalaua Beach aka Thousand Peaks ended up being great for us with the S swell. Tons of elbow room and mellow take offs for days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000peaks.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	760.2 KB 
ID:	292371

Name:	1000peaks_2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	930.8 KB 
ID:	292372

We checked out Lahaina Harbor too. Although it looked higher quality it was definitely getting more competition from the locals so we decided to pass.

Name:	harbor.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	648.1 KB 
ID:	292373

Name:	harbor_2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	654.2 KB 
ID:	292374

Overall, caught a ton of waves and it was super fun. Nothing mind-blowing, but considering it was summer on Maui I wasn't expecting as much. Trade Winds were definitely persistent out of the NE, but not too much of a drag on surfing. Was hoping for more steady offshore, but it was really hot (in the 90s), and the wind seemed to be variable mostly.

Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop in between Lahaina and Thousand Peaks had delicious after surf food. The passion fruit pie is amazing. Maui Brewing was super nice as well.

Haleakala Crater was an incredible experience, not to be missed! We opted for the sunset instead of the sunrise and I don't regret it. Didn't seem worth fucking up a whole day by getting up 3 AM on a short trip.