Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Good cheap strong coffee?

Been getting Cafe Bustelo in bulk the past year or so, a good strong coffee for the price, but it is a total PITA to deal with in the French press. It's an espresso grind so it's hard to push down to the bottom and usually results in an explosion of hot coffee all over the counter. Looking for recs for cheap coffee of similar strength that we could get in bulk and maybe comes in a thicker grind. Many thanks...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

It's all about your setup: whole beans, grinder, instahot make either French press, drip or espresso so much better.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

You don't buy good coffee in grind you fucking nitwit.

Try Bulletproof upgraded coffee. That's my daily grind. Add butter if you don't want to be a bitch.

For FP, got to grind your own.

Either get a burr grinder, or find a place that sells whole beans and has a grinder in the store.

I find the best combo of cheap/good at Costco. You can use their grinder if you don't own one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

for fuck's sake.

mr. coffee. folgers. coffeemate.

don't be some fancyass hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    for fuck's sake.

mr. coffee. folgers. coffeemate.

don't be some fancyass hipster.
    That's like telling someone asking for a beer recommendation to stop being a "fancyass hipster" and just drink Keystone.

OP: French Press coffee should never be ground fine, but the opposite, otherwise you get sludge in your cup. When we go to LCC, where I don't have my grinder but do have a FP, I set the store grinder to one click coarser than "Auto Drip." If you want your coffee "stronger" just throw an extra scoop or two in, then let it brew an extra minute.

The bulk whole bean coffee for Costco is good stuff and not too expensive, comes in like a five pound bag or something.
    grind it yourself, then espresso/french/drip away.

Good coffee ain't fancy ass hipster Yeti, fancy ass hipster is deciding not to pay $3.00 a cup from starbucks so you can pay some local fair trade coffee shop $4.00 to have them burn it for ya.
    Last edited by XavierD; 01-01-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Ditto Kirkland. I make a French press of that stuff every morning and it's delicious.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Get a stove top cuban type espresso pot and your bustello will be ok.I assume you get the vacuum packed
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    That's like telling someone asking for a beer recommendation to stop being a "fancyass hipster" and just drink Keystone.

OP: French Press coffee should never be ground fine, but the opposite, otherwise you get sludge in your cup. When we go to LCC, where I don't have my grinder but do have a FP, I set the store grinder to one click coarser than "Auto Drip." If you want your coffee "stronger" just throw an extra scoop or two in, then let it brew an extra minute.
    yup. stop being fancyass hipsters. there's nothing wrong with regular beer or regular coffee.

Back to the "strong" qualification. Do you mean in terms of flavor or caffeine? I was surprised to learn some time back that darker roasts actually have less caffeine. And acidity varies greatly from region to region, with Sumatran beans at the low end, but is also generally less with a darker roast.

I have found that the Earth's Pride Organic Sumatra Estate beans make my favorite, very affordable coffee. Medium roast, low acid content, great flavor. I brew it strong (drip) and grind as needed. I was making pots of it at the EC Ullrfest and it got good reviews from the coffee drinkers there.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

Get an aeropress coffee maker.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    yup. stop being fancyass hipsters. there's nothing wrong with regular beer or regular coffee.
    Well, other than flavor... or lack thereof. Why have steak if you can just eat a Burger patty?

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    Back to the "strong" qualification. Do you mean in terms of flavor or caffeine? I was surprised to learn some time back that darker roasts actually have less caffeine. And acidity varies greatly from region to region, with Sumatran beans at the low end, but is also generally less with a darker roast.

I have found that the Earth's Pride Organic Sumatra Estate beans make my favorite, very affordable coffee. Medium roast, low acid content, great flavor. I brew it strong (drip) and grind as needed. I was making pots of it at the EC Ullrfest and it got good reviews from the coffee drinkers there.

This!

Strong flavor is deferent than, lots of tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_lives View Post
    Get a stove top cuban type espresso pot and your bustello will be ok.I assume you get the vacuum packed
    Do you mean a moka pot? That's italian. I have no idea why some places call them "Cuban espresso pots". They're Bialetti made in Italy. I guess there are some knock offs made in China. But it would work fine with the Bustelo.

Hanafords Dark Roast, drip, 4 scoops to a ~12 oz cup. Costs about $5-6/lb, tastes great and doesn't fuck with my stomach like many store brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Well, other than flavor... or lack thereof. Why have steak if you can just eat a Burger patty?
    Wait, now you're too good for burgers?

Kirkland espresso roast beans in the red bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Kirkland espresso roast beans in the red bag.
    those are the ones from starbucks, no? I buy those often, I agree.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    those are the ones from starbucks, no? I buy those often, I agree.
    Costco I think.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Costco I think.
    costco/kirkland contracts with starbucks on that coffee, if it's the one I think he was referencing.

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

At Carls duoche bag epourium and banana slug petting zoo they only drink coffee made from beans that have passed thru the entire digestive tract of a tibetian spitting rats.
    watch out for snakes