Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    My cheap go to is the green can from whole foods. Three beans is what it is called, I think. $5 for a pound. Doesn't come ground, but you could grind it in the store. Surprisingly fresh every time. Gets a decent bloom when doing a pour over. Just tastes like a good, clean cup of coffee. I'm not into the expensive, lightly roasted single origins. They always come out weak and sour. I like good coffee, but want it to taste like coffee. If that makes sense.

Kind of OT, but Starbucks instant coffee rules for backcountry trips, no grounds mess to deal with, lightweight, tastes better than their brewed coffee IMO. It's the only instant coffee I've ever found worth drinking. Also good if you're staying at a hotel because the continental breakfast coffee always sucks, but you can usually get hot water.

Ended up getting a tall bag of winco Java roast for $7/pound or so, nice taste to it this am. Will read back through the thread when it's time to order bulk delivery. And I won't Jong it out in the freezer
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Been getting Cafe Bustelo in bulk the past year or so, a good strong coffee for the price, but it is a total PITA to deal with in the French press. It's an espresso grind so it's hard to push down to the bottom and usually results in an explosion of hot coffee all over the counter. Looking for recs for cheap coffee of similar strength that we could get in bulk and maybe comes in a thicker grind. Many thanks...
    Ditch the FP, keep the Bustelo.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Want a good jolt? You can always dissolve a few of these in the morning joe:

Can you grind them up and snort them? Any good for blasting?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ditch the FP, keep the Bustelo.
    We're thinking about cutting the winco coarse ground stuff with some Bustelo, since we're using 7 scoops of the Java roast to get the strength we like. What device have people used with Bustelo that produced the best results? Sorry for being a tool of this is buried somewhere already in this thread...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

We're thinking about cutting the winco coarse ground stuff with some Bustelo, since we're using 7 scoops of the Java roast to get the strength we like. What device have people used with Bustelo that produced the best results? Sorry for being a tool of this is buried somewhere already in this thread...
    Seriously? Its called a coffee maker. You can buy them just about everywhere. The funny thing is when I first got introduced to the Cafe Bustello all I had available was a coffee filter in a kitchen strainer that I would pour boiling water through, like a cone but less conical. I think I might have scored a funnel at some point. And to add insult to injury, we would reheat it in a saucepan on a stove. Multiple times. That shit was mud.

If you only need to make single cups at a time, Aeropress. If you need to make several cups at once, some flavor of pour-over like the Chemex or clever Coffee Dripper. If this is for the office and you're making a lot of coffee on a daily basis, get a good autodripper. America's Test Kitchen says this one is the bee's knees http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ..._-NoMerchRules

Quote Originally Posted by PowTrees View Post
    In Colorado they have allegro in the bulk coffee bins at a great price, if you have to buy pre packed might not be as affordable.
    Never buy beans from the bulk bin. The things that will make beans go stale quicker than anything are exposure to air and light - for example, by sitting out in bulk bins with clear fronts for days at a time. Beans packed in opaque, airtight foil bags or cans will be way fresher and tastier.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Use a moka pot for the Bustelo.

Ordering 6lbs of Kirkland Sumatra today for $7.60 a pound. Have been a french press Starbucks Sumatra drinker for over a decade. I grind the beans myself on extra coarse. Will report back on comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Anyone tried Coffeebeandirect.com?

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 7.31.38 AM.png
Views: 394
Size:  92.6 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Ordering 6lbs of Kirkland Sumatra today for $7.60 a pound. Have been a french press Starbucks Sumatra drinker for over a decade. I grind the beans myself on extra coarse. Will report back on comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Price seems a little high actually. $3.69 per lb for their Columbian ground coffee that is our daily driver.

^^^and how is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

If you are making coffee at home and break it down how much that cup is costing you, stop being so cheap and go with what you ultimately like. If what you like is the cheap stuff, so be it. But find what you like. I buy the Lavazza ground ($7/12oz) and press it and get 2-16oz cups out of one press and about 10 presses/bag. So about 70cents/press. What do you spend more on but enjoy less? Probably a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    ^^^and how is it?
    Been drinking the Kirkland Colombian for years now. Buy a flat of 6 3lb cans at a time and stock our rental condo too. Actually like it better than most other coffees. I make our coffee super strong too, so I go through it fast. Can't afford that Starbuck shit at $9 a lb or more. Especially when I drink 4 cups a day and so does the wife.

Feel bad because I have a few friends who are roasters and give me free beans all the time, but I like the Kirkland stuff better...

I've been buying the San Francisco Bay dark roast beans at Costco for awhile. Grind at home, fairly coarse, ordinary drip coffee maker. I think it's pretty good. Something like $15 for 3 pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Been drinking the Kirkland Colombian for years now. Buy a flat of 6 3lb cans at a time and stock our rental condo too. Actually like it better than most other coffees. I make our coffee super strong too, so I go through it fast. Can't afford that Starbuck shit at $9 a lb or more. Especially when I drink 4 cups a day and so does the wife.
    We go with the Kirkland espresso beans to make regular drip coffee. Makes coffee the way we like it - definitely a bit spendier than the Columbian, but I like the result more. Looks like it around $6/lb regular price.

Our tastes have migrated a bit mellower. We switched a year ago from Costco espresso beans in espresso machine (ground daily with burr grinder) to Costco House Blend and Bonavita drip coffee maker, making mornings a bit easier. I thought we'd occasionally fire up the espresso machine, although that hasn't happened.

We sometimes use a French press in the camper. IME, French press is the best way to make a really strong cup of coffee. Be sure to grind coarse for French press.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Be sure to grind coarse for French press.
    I keep hearing this. Maybe it's the extra fine screen in my press, but I use a pretty fine grind and have the occasional stray ground. But the taste is so much better than when I have used ground coarser coffee. There is a bit more resistance so I go slow (do this anyway), so maybe takes an extra 15 seconds.
    So I guess I just don't really think coarse is necessary provided your screen is fine enough. And I have been getting better results with fine. Maybe it is just the blend I like though. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 7.31.38 AM.png
Views: 394
Size:  92.6 KB
    This. best bang-for-the-buck strong coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post

Can you grind them up and snort them? Any good for blasting?
    funny. neighbor down the block owns and operates a small private label that manufactures energy gels for the top brands, shared stories about a coupla graveyard-shift employees who took liberties with raw caffeine powder from the 50-gal barrel. one apparently would never wear the proper PPE when measuring/dosing/mixing in order to nurse a caffeine buzz every night, eventually ended up one night in the ER with serious case of ventricular fibrillation. another, acting on a tip, my neighbor dropped in one night and found the shift manager with her bowling league team cutting lines of coke and meth with ample amounts of caffeine in the bathroom. he ended up calling paramedics b/c one apparently rolled a "gutter-ball".
    style matters...

Costco has pre-ground (for us lazy fucks) Peets, which is a decent deal.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    We go with the Kirkland espresso beans to make regular drip coffee. Makes coffee the way we like it - definitely a bit spendier than the Columbian, but I like the result more. Looks like it around $6/lb regular price.
    that's one of our regulars, we rotate among a few different ones that they have which are in the $5-$6/lb range.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Kirkland espresso roast beans in the red bag.
    Ding ding ding.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch