Transitioning young'un from power wedge turn to parallel

Hi gang,
    Been a stellar holiday season in the panhandle so far. Been skiing a lot solo and a lot w my 5 year old. Noticed that he will often use his power wedge turn when it gets steep and move away from his quasi parallel at that time. I've talked to his freeride youngster team coach and he recommended a 1-1 w him. I was wondering, as it's my first kid, if more time on the hill and he will eventually transition or will he need more guidance, I mean, for effs sake, as my wife said, he is only five?

No matter what we are doing while skiing we are having fun, he is just asking for more aggressive terrain that I feel he isn't ready for unless he paralell turns, etc.

Cheers,
    Me

I am not a parent yet, but I do help coach U10s (so 7-9 year olds) and we do not harp on them for parallel skis so much as a strong position. If the weight is forward, shins are against the front of the boot, and hands are up, then they are 95% of the way to parallel skis. The last 5% is just confidence and getting used to skiing on steeper terrain.

So, if I were you, I would just give him occasional gentle reminders about parallel skis, but focus more on proper body position. He is only 5 as you said, and that is young to be harping on parallel skis on steeper terrain.

Don't worry about it; let them have fun. If they want the lesson, go for it; otherwise just keep it rolling.
    What's more important, your satisfaction or theirs?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

it probably doesn't get repeated enough, but a reversion on steeper terrain tells you it's over the kid's head

the corollary = no skills growth worth grooving permanently happens when the skier is over his/her head

fun for one person can be spending lots of time in over their head, but that's not a universal trait

what's a power wedge vs. regular wedge?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

My kids (now 8 and 10) get more cautious on steep terrain and slow down...I think they are just getting used to the exposure. My guideline has been if they can make it down unassisted and without being scared or causing any sort of fuss, then it's all good practice for them. If it gets steeper than 40 degrees I usually do four or five turns and station myself below them to stop an out-of-control slide. I think this helps give them confidence to have me below, as opposed to above, which is where a lot of parents stay so they can help pick the kid up if he/she falls and the skis come off, etc. My kids know that if they fall, they need to get their own skis back on, even if it's steep and they are wallowing in a foot of powder. That's something we've practiced since they were 5, and it's time well spent. (If you have two parents definitely leave one stationed above.)

I have no idea if I've taught my kids the right way, but they seem to be doing well and steep terrain doesn't bother them. At one point after they had been skiing a couple years I signed them each up for a lesson, and that was helpful. I should probably do that again some time.

Good luck man, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I am not a parent yet, but I do help coach U10s (so 7-9 year olds) and we do not harp on them for parallel skis so much as a strong position. If the weight is forward, shins are against the front of the boot, and hands are up, then they are 95% of the way to parallel skis. The last 5% is just confidence and getting used to skiing on steeper terrain.

So, if I were you, I would just give him occasional gentle reminders about parallel skis, but focus more on proper body position. He is only 5 as you said, and that is young to be harping on parallel skis on steeper terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    it probably doesn't get repeated enough, but a reversion on steeper terrain tells you it's over the kid's head

the corollary = no skills growth worth grooving permanently happens when the skier is over his/her head

fun for one person can be spending lots of time in over their head, but that's not a universal trait
    Good advice.

What's his turn look like on mellower terrain? I always had good luck with lifting up the inside ski (like, literally picking it up off the snow 1/2"-1") drills to get kids to commit from stemming more to parallel all the way through the turn, but those drills are on mellow terrain. And you want them to be short to keep their interest good and for it not to feel like work.

Edit: Ditto yeahman's advice on coaching him from below where he can see you and be reassured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    No matter what we are doing while skiing we are having fun, he is just asking for more aggressive terrain that I feel he isn't ready for unless he paralell turns, etc.
    Cool that the boy wants to challenge himself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    If the weight is forward, shins are against the front of the boot, and hands are up, then they are 95% of the way to parallel skis. The last 5% is just confidence and getting used to skiing on steeper terrain.
    This. Parallel turns will come with confidence & time if the kid has knees/ankles bent and hands up.

And for a second opinion, Always agree with your wife. On any matter. You will not win.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Edit: Ditto yeahman's advice on coaching him from below where he can see you and be reassured.
    I would add that I've never actually had to stop a slide for life (except my wife once, but that's another story--she wasn't even grateful!). Obviously if somebody is falling regularly on steep terrain then they are in over their heads. It's also important to teach a kid how to face the hill and dig in for all they are worth if they fall on the steeps...the self arrest thing.

creaky has it right. the transition from wedge to parallel has to be ingrained on mellower terrain before it will stick (become the default turn type) on steeper terrain.

More miles.