Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Patagonia. I will continue to buy their stuff...

Returned a cheap rain jacket from '02 for a repair. They sent me a gift card for 2.5 times the original purchase price 12 yrs later. No receipt, no questions asked.

Yvon Chouinard...his warranty, 1% of sales donation, and his general business practices.

Yeah, it's expensive and unfortunately it's "cool" these days, but whatever. Going to the store it appears to be more of an Asian fashion show then for people that actually use the shit for what it was intended.

Patagucci is "cool" these days? Not saying they're considered uncool, per se, but I wouldn't classify them as particularly cool, either, in the lift line show off can't ski for shit sense of the word.

But yeah, good company... for the most part.

hmmm, i have a nano puff vest that has been through the ringer and needs a zipper repair.

i'll send it in.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Or you could just get it repaired elsewhere or buy a new one and not contribute to inflating prices. I can't bring myself to "warranty" gear that I've beat on for years.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I have 25 year old patagonia luggage that's been around the world more times than I can count and that they fix for free on a regular basis. That's why I buy patagonia - they are worth the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Patagucci is "cool" these days? Not saying they're considered uncool, per se, but I wouldn't classify them as particularly cool, either, in the lift line show off can't ski for shit sense of the word.
    The hell are you trying to say here? Odd way to put it, or, anything. Per se.

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Or you could just get it repaired elsewhere or buy a new one and not contribute to inflating prices. I can't bring myself to "warranty" gear that I've beat on for years.
    This. The only way to justify their retail prices is to assume you get a jacket for life. Abuse of no questions asked lifetime warranties must contribute a shit ton to price. I returned a pair of shoes that fell apart after about 20 days of use. I told them what I paid (had reciept) and they gave me a credit for more than double.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This. The only way to justify their retail prices is to assume you get a jacket for life. Abuse of no questions asked lifetime warranties must contribute a shit ton to price. I returned a pair of shoes that fell apart after about 20 days of use. I told them what I paid (had reciept) and they gave me a credit for more than double.
    It doesn't sound like the OP was "warrantying" his product, but seeking a repair from Patti. They chose to send the gift card.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    The hell are you trying to say here? Odd way to put it, or, anything. Per se.
    I'm saying Patagonia isn't really a "cool" brand these days... while also pointing out that what's considered cool doesn't mean shit anyway.

I would argue they are cooler than they've ever been, and their sales figures certainly back that up.

As far as I know, they repair very little. My wife had a zipper failure on a side pocket on her ski pants. They sent her new pants. It's good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm saying Patagonia isn't really a "cool" brand these days... while also pointing out that what's considered cool doesn't mean shit anyway.
    Isn't it a bit soon to be jumping into Hugh's "arbiter of cool" shoes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

As far as I know, they repair very little. My wife had a zipper failure on a side pocket on her ski pants. They sent her new pants. It's good and bad.
    Case in point - sent them my MLC. They restitched everything coming apart, replaced 2 panels that were wearing, replaced the big zipper, and replaced 2 D rings that were wearing thin. Sent in an ancient down sweater with a bad zipper pull. They replaced the zipper pull with a new one and sent me 2 replacements plus instructions on how to fix it myself in the future. I could go on and on. They are always my first choice and have been for 35 years.

The only way to justify their retail prices is to assume you get a jacket for life.
    Just out of curiosity, who makes quality outerwear that is significantly cheaper? Seems to me like all of the 3L ski jackets are priced at $500, pants at $400, down sweaters at $250, fleece vests at $100, etc... regardless if you are going with Pata, Arc, TNF, Mammut, Norrona, BD, OR, Burton, Solly, Spyder, Marmot, etc....

The only truth is: Good shit is expense.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If something fails I get warranty but if stuff wears out i just consider that wear so I had a heat welded seam jacket fall apart and MEC gave me a credit no problem I think they are a good company, read "let my people go surfing" for Chouinard's story, he comes up here fishing every year ... the guide's all say he is cool
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Regarding the "cool" factor, they are absolutely popular and perceived that way now. In cities they have in many ways become the new North Face in terms of desire to own. While this may be unfortunate to purists and "hardcore" athletes, it is these city folk that are more likely to pay full retail and thus allow the company to continue its awesome return policy. I love Patagonia but will only buy during their 30% off or 50% off sales. I'm not picky about colors, so I always find good deals.

I agree their warranty is awesome. I went in with simple questions on gear, how to fix an issue, etc. and have been offered replacements. I suspect in some instances a replacement is cheaper than the costs of shipping and labor required to repair - purely speculation. Plus it helps customer retention.

Patagonia. I will continue to buy their stuff...

That is probably because the retaping and sealing of the pocket was more costly to them than replacement.

I have had great luck with Patagonia repairing my critical mass and miscellaneous jackets in the past. I put it on par to Helly Hansen gear service, but faster. I paid for two jackets. They are generally made well enough to be repaired and NOT replaced over 10 years and I attempt to use them that long. After that, I usually don't find my jackets holding up because of normal wear and tear.

MHW was probably good before Columbia took over. The team that repairs gear is skillful but the budget for repairs and replacements is low. They would only fix a few things on my exposure 2 parka 8 years ago and left it as a mediocre wind shell with some odd frayed panels and new zippers and Velcro. MORAL: The high ticket price of old MHW gear was not worthwhile in this model.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, who makes quality outerwear that is significantly cheaper? Seems to me like all of the 3L ski jackets are priced at $500, pants at $400, down sweaters at $250, fleece vests at $100, etc... regardless if you are going with Pata, Arc, TNF, Mammut, Norrona, BD, OR, Burton, Solly, Spyder, Marmot, etc....

What is "good" and "value" a personal opinion. If it's got Gore-Tex, it'll be expensive. But there are many companies using almost as good waterproof/breathable laminate at a fraction of the price, IMO. Not if you are paying top $$$ to primaloft, polartec etc. you are drinking the sauce.

i've got some Patagonia and it's pretty nice. I've got a shit ton of Cabelas, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer and it's equally as nice for a lot less money with good customer service.

You can spend your dollars however you want. Go for it if you think the premium is worth it to have the "top" brands. That said, high price does not necessarily high value. I'll pay more if I think it's justified, but often it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by hcski25 View Post
    Regarding the "cool" factor, they are absolutely popular and perceived that way now. In cities they have in many ways become the new North Face in terms of desire to own.
    Think. TNF Denali fleece, right? Now the Denali Fleece quality has suffered tremendously and is basically a polyester sweatshirt.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Just out of curiosity, who makes quality outerwear that is significantly cheaper?
    For puffy-style jackets, I like Mont Bell's line up.

I do admit to having one Patagonia jacket that I really like. I pulled off the outside label.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I do admit to having one Patagonia jacket that I really like. I pulled off the outside label.
    They'll probably warranty that.

i've bought tons of their stuff over the years, and scored some sweet stuff recently from the Dillon store. Haven't used their warranty program yet, only piece that needs anything right now is a 12-15 year old Burrito Suiter, a screw popped out of the hanger clamp. Or may just drill and bolt, the thing's got some serious mileage on it...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

warranty is solid, but i have found that it is more for structural damage than waterproofness. you get a jacket and after 5 years of heavy usage it begins to wet out instead of beading off, you're probably going to get the recommendation to Nikwax it (which doesn't work, I have found). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    a screw popped out of the hanger clamp. Or may just drill and bolt
    Inserts. Or just helicoil.

It's not an accident that they all hit the same price point. The general public also perceives a lower price as a cheaper product.

Quote Originally Posted by hcski25 View Post
    I agree their warranty is awesome. I went in with simple questions on gear, how to fix an issue, etc. and have been offered replacements. I suspect in some instances a replacement is cheaper than the costs of shipping and labor required to repair - purely speculation. Plus it helps customer retention.
    It depends on what the issue is. The larger problem is having skilled seamstresses and the equipment that is needed both in terms of repairing issue and what fabric/parts you need to have on hand. It's hard to keep a stock of parts on hand and it's also a PITA to source and order parts that arrive in a timely manner and guesstimate how many you'll need.

Also, a lot of warranty repairs are farmed out to companies such as Rainy Pass, etc. My experience has been at companies that repair a lot of things (sometimes the customer has an attachment to the gear) either in house or farmed out and at companies where shipping a new piece was preferable. It all depends.