Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Yvon and company actually walk the walk they talk. Sure it is a huge corporation that needs to make money, and they have had their failures along they way, but if more companies had similar philosophies and ethics, the world would go around a little smoother. They are not perfect, but they really do try to be environmentally conscious.

I am not surprised by the gored jacket story. Sure they such things to build the brand, but they also do it because it is a good thing to do for people, and it is a very people oriented company. Some people will bitch about their time there, but the vast majority love working there, and the have a very long employee retention value, hence why it is had to get a job there, few people want to leave.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm saying Patagonia isn't really a "cool" brand these days... while also pointing out that what's considered cool doesn't mean shit anyway.
    Patagonia certainly is "in" right now. At least in the northeast. Everyone seems to own a Patagonia vest these days, especially banker bros. So maybe its not cool on the mountain, but it's definitely very popular in more urban settings.

Arcterxy, patagucci, Rab ect anybody can buy this stuff

so If I wear Patagucci in the forest and nobody see's me wear it ... am i still cool?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have been buying Patagonia stuff for well over 30 years and have never had to use their warranty. But, last fall I got a new snap-T pullover and the left side seam blew out the second time I wore it (my previous snap-T lasted 28 years). They repaired it promptly and for free instead of replacing it which is exactly what I expected. I continue to be a happy and loyal customer.

Just got my pants back with a fixed zipper, a definite warranty issue, but they also patch a whole for no charge that was my fault. That is good customer service, and while some companies would have just replaced them Patagonia is really pushing the repair, not replace paradigm.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

They sponsor Barry Blanchard FTW

Not actualy a climber but i appreciate an outlier so Fuck Ya and hey did you read Barry Blanchards new book ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Not actualy a climber but i appreciate an outlier so Fuck Ya and hey did you read Barry Blanchards new book ?
    Yes, I read The Calling. It has some flaws as a piece of prose, but great stories of guys putting it all out there in the mountains.

I haven't read it yet, but heard he talk at the headquarters here in Ventura. Seems like a great guy, a little crazy, but I bet he would be fun to climb with.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    Yes, I read The Calling. It has some flaws as a piece of prose, but great stories of guys putting it all out there in the mountains.
    agreed he is not about to win the Giller prize but between his wrong side of the track beginnings and the out there climbing Blanchard shouldn't be alive

Picked up a pair of mixed guide pants last night at tj max for $89.00 .

Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    Steve House's book is great as well, to continue the off topic banter.

I wasn't a fan of Patagonia gear until I got some. Very well thought out and well built. They really cover the bases in terms of "continuity" of outerwear - they have the right progression from super warm to super cold if that makes sense.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    I wonder what the cost of warranty / repairs is as a percentage of Patagonia's expenses. I would guess that most clothing doesn't get used very hard - as with a lot of things, there's usually a small number of heavy users and a lot of light users. So I'd guess that there's some fraction of stuff that happens to break under light use (legit warranty repairs in anyone's book) and a small number of heavy users who actually wear softgoods to the point of repair or replacement.

The bulletproof warranty policy is part of their sales positioning, it emphasizes their reputation for quality construction even to the light users. It's a little different in the case of an REI or BC return policy since those are returns not warranties (and not brand-specific) and seem more vulnerable to excessive returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    My brother worked for Patagonia for years, and like with any similar organization, return rates are something that is closely monitored. As long as they're below a certain threshold (it's been a while, but I recall they were something like <2%) it's not a concern, and is considered part of cultivating the brand's reputation and customer loyalty. There are innumerable casual users for every gear abusing skiing/climbing bum, and keeping this small demographic happy creates de-facto brand ambassadors. It also seems that if we're initially treated unreasonably well, we often mellow into loyal long-term customers. It's irrational and sort of pathetic, but attaching to brands as an expression of our self-image is somehow psychologically satisfying, and Patagonia cultivate this better than most. As they're finding out, corporate retailers aren't the beneficiaries of this brand loyalty (somebody must study and understand this) and often get treated with a uncompromising mercenary attitude.
    I just read a case on Patagonia for grad school (PM me if you're at all interested in a non-traditional MBA program). around 2010, return rates in the wholesale channel were about 2.6%, and 12.9% for the direct business. these are just returns overall, not warranty returns, as far as i can tell. Patagonia estimated that these rates were much lower than their respective industry averages. in 2009, Patagonia repaired more than 12,000 garments, which cost over $350,000. demand for repairs exceeded capacity, so staff were being encouraged to offer replacement before repair in order to reduce wait times.

interestingly, as of 2010 the median age of their consumers was 38 with an average household income of $160,000. Patagucci indeed.

also, PM me if you're interested in the case, lots of other stats in there. i may need to strip out all the identifiers but i can probably send it your way if you are interested.

Well I had to use the repair service once again. I was tail surfing a little too close to a wall of granite and burned a hole thru my pocket. The Kincos held strong Truly I shouldn't have used these pants for lift service, but I did. With my return I noted that I wanted them repaired, not replaced and did not care what it looked liked or weight issues...just wanted them functional. Please

They came back with this repair and they also wrapped my cuffs from the ski edge cuts. Damn happy once again!

Ironically, I jus finished reading 'Let My People Go Surfing' last week. Although I acknowledge that it was a few hundred pages of Patagonia commercial/employee handbook, I will say that it worked.

They will get my money from now on, and I'll probably look to emulate them in my own business dealings as much as I can.

$10m is a lot, hope it can help counteract some of the political environmental setbacks that are looking probable from the incoming leadership.

Thumbs up Much love!

Read about the plan earlier in the week and I was so stoked to see how much they raised! Patagonia's customer service is second to none and with progressive movements like this they definitely have built a loyal customer base!

I've literally had nothing but superb customer service and product from them. I've had three pieces repaired and I've received stickers upon returning of my gear. Just the little things....

I recently sold a 14 year old Patagonia fleece jacket w/some motorcycle grease on the sleeves on the bay. Bidding war and it sold for ~$80.

Brand value, quality products and a company that stands behind their product.

This falls into the 'you get what you pay for' category.

I always wondered who wears the pants in their relationship w/Gore. I'd like to see them branch out into other fabrics, but I think Gore demands an exclusive. You'd think Pata could throw their weight around. Who knows.

^Yeowza. Wonder if this ripples around the bowl.

Maybe, but it will be a very small bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    That's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Mad respect! They still make the best gear as well