Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Toe crunch in tele-boots. Cures? Special liner mold etc

I just had my first ski day in my brand new Crispi Evo tele boots. The amount of control is amazing, and the flex seems just about right. What a revolution compared to my 13 year old Garmonts. But I have a small toe crunch problem. I do not ski very deep, but I guess I have fat toes and like bal of foot contact. What to do about it? Can I mold the liners in some special way?

(If I eventually have to buy another set of boots, I have to get a boot with Tech inserts. Scarpa TX Pro is too soft i think and the Crispi Evo WC (World Cup) is the same boot as the one i got, just stiffer. So I guess I'll better fix the ones I've got.)

You have wong boots. Git sum Scarpa AT.
    watch out for snakes

I gave up AT more than 10 years ago, got some Dynafit-stuff laying around in the basement. If i just wanted to move around I'd use a snowmobile. AT is for; People who never been learnt to tele, People who are too old to tele, and Racers.

Back to business: Serious answers are appreciated.

I think it is the non-ergonomic design of the bellows, way too straight IMO(straight bellows don't work for me either).
    Scotty's right, get dedicated boots for AT and tele. You'll be much happier, performance wise.

I don't know anything about ntn tele boots, but back in the day when I had issues with my Merrell Super Comps and toe crunch I would tape some thin plastic to the top of the outside of the liner to prevent it from being pinched by the boot shell. There is likely a way to thermo-mold though that may fix the issue.

too bad TT.com died you could have asked there or maybe somebody knows of another tele site ?

I remember something about people making toe condoms from cut up milk jugs to put in the shell to keep the boot shell from collapsing on their toes or SFT but I 've never had to with T-1's

Last year I gave my boots to a friend to borrow and fortunately she hasn't brought them back yet
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Aha, now I understand, you think I'm using tele boots in AT bindings? No, if I dig out the old Dynafit AT-skis, I have dedicated boots for that, Tele-boots are way too heavy and way too soft.

I'm using the boots for telemark only. Both NTN-bindings and TTS. Tech insert is need for the TTS, that's why I didn't buy Scarpa TX Comp, which seems to be a nice mid stiff boot for fat feet, but lacks the tech inserts.

I have to try the condom ting, or some special mold. I worked a lot on the AT boots before they fitted.

Yeah, too bad TT.com died, I really miss it. Telemark also seems to be dying, or at least telemarkers spend less time in front of their computers...

^^^^ This (previous 2 posts). I preferred a piece of plastic flower pot (stiffer plastic, better curvature): duct tapped to the top of the liner, right over the toes in question. Made my first-gen charcoal and purple T-1s ski-able.

Gotcha. TX comp and sell the TTS(I have T-Race and TX comps and the comps are definitely soft compared). Better than crunched toes. Maybe see if you can demo the Scarpa's and see if your problem goes away?

Wouldn't hurt to try what PB and the general suggest(those boots slayed my toes too PB. Scarpas solution to those boots was send them in and cycle the bellows over and over to break them in. That only worked marginally for me.)

I'll start with the flowerpots and molding, before I give up and upgrade to Comps. Just had a few runs on these, sorta updated TTS-bindings: http://the-m-equipment.com/fr/produits/fixations
    800g/pair, full Dynafit touring mode, superb lateral control, step-in, adjustable release (independent from resistance adjustment). My old duckbilled setup isn't even close in ice grip. Canīt give up all that just because my toes thinks its a bit uncomfortable. My toes didn't like the old all black T1s and the old duckbillded Crispis either, so they are a bit finicky. T-race is a nice very boot, just wish they made one with Tech inserts and NTN-heel.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleSwede View Post
    Yeah, too bad TT.com died, I really miss it. Telemark also seems to be dying...
    Its not dead it just smells funny
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you haven't molded the liners then you're doing it wrong. Mold the liners according to Crispi's directions and you will more than likely solve your pinch problem.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Use to ski Crispi Duckbill XR's and battled toe crunch the first few weeks until they broke in. It seems to be the hingey flex inherent in all Crispi's vs the progressive flex found in Scarpa. I used the cut up ice cream bucket until they broke in. I loved how the Crispi fit, but love the flex of the Scarpa Comp even more to make the fit work.
    "What moves men of genius, or rather what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."

-Eugene Delacroix

FYI- tech talk next time
    "What moves men of genius, or rather what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."

-Eugene Delacroix

The TTS system looks very interesting...So it tours in tech mode then skis in NTN/tech mode? Pretty pricey though...

あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

norpine.

I have two pairs of the v1 (super stiff) Evos, but have also skied the current med-stiff version. Absolutely zero toe pinch. It sort of sounds like u did mold them but are considering remolding? You can tape some thin foam above the pressure point area during the molding, but don't create too much vertical space. Its also important to have a good footbed in there to stabilize your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    too bad TT.com died you could have asked there or maybe somebody knows of another tele site ?
    Dostie's http://www.earnyourturns.com , forum at http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourt...m/vb/forum.php . Some of the ttips crowd wound up there.

Not telemarktalk.com, that is a pale imitation dominated by one of the problem children.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Dostie's http://www.earnyourturns.com , forum at http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourt...m/vb/forum.php . Some of the ttips crowd wound up there.

Not telemarktalk.com, that is a pale imitation dominated by one of the problem children.

Raventele = Rontele?

sister or spirit anime.

Now I've re-molded the liners with some padding, plus I'm using flower pots (or, not really, I'm using some plasic from a raisin-pack). It is defenatley better. OK, but not perfect. Maybe I could get it a bit better with harder plastic cap, experimenting with the shape of the plastic etc. Thanks, now the setup is working, if not optimal. As long as I'm not carving hard on steep slopes (deep tele turns) It's OK.

But, as a true tele-tinkerer, I had to analyze the problem. I tried with NRN Freedom binders, the problem is about the same, majbe a little worse since the Rotte bottoms out faster than Meidjo. I tried deep-flexing my old beaten up Garmont 4-buckles (Squadra) side by side to the Crispi. The big difference is, with the Crispi, the bellows doesn't come to a distinct stop, it just goes on and if I flex the knee about shin paralel to the ski (as in a tele-landing), the boot starts collapsing. Sort of like bending a pipe or garden hose. Ouch!. The Garmont on the other hand flexes to a maximum, then it bottoms out, saving my toes. Boots that bottom out in the bellows is probably hard on the bindings, but it saves my toes.

As a former leather-boot skier (long time ago) this is really a luxury problem. No part of my feet are blue after a day of skiing and the skis stay on my feet. Almost w ish I never had the old Sqadras .

Anyways, the Crispis are the problem. What to do?
    1) Be a man and accept telemark is going to be sub-perfect, no matter what.
    2) Continue using the Garmonts untill they fall apart. Or buy some old T-races.
    3) Get Scarpa TX PRO instead. I'm afraid they'll be to soft, I think green EVOs is almost too soft. $$
    4) Get some NTN Freedom and Scarpa Comp instead. even more $$$$ that I do not have since I rather use them skiing.

Still I have no Idea if the Scarpas would eliminate the toe pinch. It seems like they have at least tried to adress the problem by adding a suporting arc close to the bellows to stop it frpm collapsing over the foot. Sigh. Search goes on. Any inputs are welcome, abut soft Scarpas or below bottoming out or the weather.

The TX Comp is significantly stiffer than the tx pro.

Garmont prophets gave me the worst toe crunch imaginable. Unskiable. Garmont EnerGs were incredibly comfortable on my feet....as are the Evos. Reality of tele is that if u can't make the boot comfortable in the tele position, sell them and buy something else.

The only thing I can think of, that noone has mentioned, is that too large boots often created the toe-squeeze problem.
    Ill-fitting last aka wrong brand for your foot and too large boots were the main culprits.