AWD system in current Honda CRV or Acura RDX - anyone here own?

Considering a vehicle change, but have read mixed things on the current AWD system in Honda CRVs and Acura RDXs. AFAIK, they use the same AWD system, which is FWD until things slip. (i.e. not the "SH-AWD" system in the older RDX, and in some of the other Acura models).

Anyone here own either an AWD current body style CRV or current (2013+) RDX? Any complaints about the AWD system in snow/ice?

(anyone other than rog?)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I owned a 2005 Element with AWD and it was great on road for snow and ice. With 4 proper snow tires it was planted.

Fronts need to slip a wee bit for all 4 to kick in, but it's pretty much instant.

I've not read up on the newer ones but pretty sure it's still the same, I know it was in 2009 when I was last looking. Would like to drive the SH-AWD to see what it's like.

I have a Toaster as well with the FWD till it slips system. Works fine in the Teton's. With snow tires I don't think it's even kicked in this season besides doing doughnuts in the work parking lot. With all seasons last year I had one incident where I hit a pretty deep snow drift and it kicked in a little late. That was my own fault for driving way too fast for conditions without snow tires.
    That said it seems pretty well recognized the older system that Acura used and I think still uses in the MDX was better (favored 70/30) and felt more like a Subie or Audi so if coming from that you might notice a difference. If using snow tires probably a moot point.

I've got a 2010 CRV. I've found the AWD to be decent, but not as good as an always on system. The key is having some good tires. The original ones were pretty terrible and wore out really quickly.

Hi Karl,

I have a had a '14 RDX for a bit over a year. Very solid. I run hakkapelitas to/from PC to BCC & LCC in bad conditions all winter. Have not noticed anything "kicking in" - I have tried to get it to break loose on slick roads just to see where the limits are and have not been able to get it to do so. It's a great car. Feels as solid as my allroad did.

Thanks all - am considering whether to pass along my '08 4Runner to my sister. It's been super reliable, great AWD/4WD system, capable offroad, but has never been all that comfortable -- particularly headroom and reach (steering wheel tilts but does not telescope). It would fit better for someone shorter than me.

I liked the RDX a lot when shopping for a replacement car for Mrs. C. about two years ago. I should probably go check out what else has come onto the market since then, but it ticks a lot of the right boxes for what I'm looking for: good power, decent MPG, drove acceptably well, suitable size, I like how it looks inside & out, I like the seating position, much less expensive than competitors' smaller SUVs/crossovers, and should be reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have an 04 Element with the "FWD 'til it slips" system. It's perfectly acceptable in the snow in terms of keeping you moving and in control, but it certainly doesn't have the fun factor of my old WRX with the 50/50 torque split.