Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cleary Bikes - Awesome Kid's Bikes

http://clearybikes.com/

My almost 5 y.o. got the 16er for Christmas and I have to say it is a sweet ass bike. They look even better in person than they do in the pics on the site and the overall quality is outstanding. I kind of want a grown-up version. Considering that the boat anchor Novara it replaced costs $170 new, $285 for the Cleary is an incredible value. I can't recommend these guys enough if you're shopping for a kid's bike.

Those do look rad, but single speeds...they'd not work so well in my neck of the woods. Little kids just don't have the leg strength or power to hoof a single speed around anywhere where there's a bunch of hills.

They are clearly well made bikes with a focus on probably the most important aspect of bikes for kids and that's the weight. It never ceases to amaze me the almost 28lb piles of shit you can buy with 16" and 20" wheels that come with front suspension. I weigh 175lbs and it takes me a good amount of force to get the fork on those kids bikes moving. My 40lb 6 year old daughter would have to run full steam into a curb to get it to move. All front suspension on a $300 kids bike is doing is adding a shitload of weight. Sure, they do make real kids front suspension bikes, but you're looking at $700+ (see Spawn bikes for example).

For single speed kids bikes of the quality and simplicity of those the price seems in line. Something like a Trek Superfly 20, for example, runs a few $ more for some gears (but nothing stupid like a front derailleur).

Another great thing I've found with quality kids bikes is you get a good chunk of your initial spend back in resale.

Yeah, if you're in the market for a 20-inch then it's worth considering something with gears. But even then, I haven't met many kids small enough to be riding a 20-inch bike who are willing to ride uphill for an extended period of time with or without gears. Shifting is definitely unnecessary on 12 or 16-inchers.

Besides, going uphill is what Dads are for

Only $200 for a little kid's bike with no pedals that he'll just grow out of right away?
    I see the ridiculous prices of bikes and related stuff has trickled all the way down.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Only $200 for a little kid's bike with no pedals that he'll just grow out of right away?
    I see the ridiculous prices of bikes and related stuff has trickled all the way down.
    Yeah, but the little kid might actually ride instead of making excuses for why they suck.

Dan, thanks for the link. We'll be in the market for a pedal bike for our 3-4 year old this spring.

You think $200 for a well built kids bike is ridiculous? Beats having parents that go out and spent $175 on this instead:
    http://www.toysrus.com/buy/20-inch-b...65620-29402486

I know someone that got this for their son for Xmas (despite some warnings from me about buying from big box stores). I guess it will be fine to putz around the neighborhood sidewalks but the thing weighs more than many adult DH bikes. Even if this tank was $100 any parent I know that actually wants their kids to enjoy riding/understands why wallyworld bikes suck would gladly pay an extra $100 to put them on a bike that fits, rides well, and they might have some hope of getting off of them if they take a fall.

If cost is a problem, just like with adult bikes, used is the way to go. I got a decent used Raleigh 20" for free from a buddy, put about $150 into it for some new QR hubs and tires (saved over 5 lbs on these alone), a threaded BB adapter and new crank, put on a decent bar and stem from the spare parts bin, and spent a couple hours rattle canning the rims and fork. Ended up with a bike she likes to ride and is stoked on, and is setup SS now but I can drop gears on whenever she's ready. She'll likely get at least 3 years of use out of it so even if I put $300 into it I can't see how $100/yr is horribly expensive to put her on a solid bike.

Too much for little kid shit. All I'm trying to say.
    No longer stuck.

We all say that til we have kids. Then reality hits and we realize that kids shit is expensive. A couple of the first things that most outdoorsy types I know that have kids buy or are gifted are a Bob Stroller and a Deuter KidComfort pack. That's typically over $500 on two items so that families can get back to an outdoorsy lifestyle the first few years of their kids lives. Good news is that like good quality kids bikes, the resale value on them is pretty impressive so in the long run you can get most of that back without much effort.

Chariot and attachments, many hundreds of dollars.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    http://www.toysrus.com/buy/20-inch-b...65620-29402486

Additional Info

“R”Web#: 431033

SKU: 797F9996

UPC/EAN/ISBN: 698238503877

Manufacturer #: 65620

Product Weight: 45 pounds

Product Dimensions (in inches):69.0 x 39.7 x 27.0
    That's incredible.

Stuckie - As myself and Catch22 have noted, the premium you pay for the Cleary isn't that much compared to how much you pay for garbage bikes. Most kids will use it for use it for 2 years (x the number of kids you have), and then you'll get >50% back in resale when they move on. So, it's far from an absurd expense in order get a bike they can actually ride. If you want to see absurd, google Lil Shredder bikes....

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Chariot and attachments, many hundreds of dollars.
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.
    I'm not having kids.
    No longer stuck.

Haha, you act like that's an option!

a $150 bike will suck for anyone, of any age. Good quality, and lighter weight bikes start at $500. Again doesn't matter the age of the cyclist, or the size of the frame.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.
    I'm not having kids.
    Clearly.

Cool looking bikes. I will likely try to build one up or buy used however given I assume a kid can only use a 16" for a year or maybe 2 max?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Cool looking bikes. I will likely try to build one up or buy used however given I assume a kid can only use a 16" for a year or maybe 2 max?
    Finding a quality used 16" bike is tough. There aren't many out there and they typically get snapped up fast. That's part of why the resale value is so good on them, high demand/low supply. You may get lucky though. Finding a 16" frame worth building up is probably even harder, but worth a try if you enjoy building up frames.

How long they'll use it depends on your kid. I'm short, my wife is short, and my son is short and always will be, so I think he'll be on a 16" for two years easily. Some other kids his age probably need to move up to 20" wheels already.

Dibs on your Clearly when you sell it in two years?

How's that for demand? Not joking either.

Do you still ride the same bike you had when you were 18? How many bikes have you "grown out of" in the past 5 years? You are no better than a toddler in many respects.

Thanks for the link Dantheman. Been looking for something for my 4 year old who is growing out of his Strider. Having a little brother who will inherit it helps smooth out the initial cash outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

I'll try and remember to PM you. Are you in SLC?

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Thanks for the link Dantheman. Been looking for something for my 4 year old who is growing out of his Strider. Having a little brother who will inherit it helps smooth out the initial cash outlay.
    No problem. Hopefully I've saved some people the hours I spent online trying to find something affordable and worth buying. Two other companies I found worth checking out are Isla Bikes and Spawn Cycles. I went with the Cleary since Isla ships their 16" US bikes (they're a UK company with a DC in Portland) with a rear coaster hub, and the Spawn was more than $100 more. I could also buy the Cleary locally. Isla and Spawn's 20" models are geared if you don't want SS.

fwiw I always bought decent little kids bikes (after buying a pos once) and would trade them in for the next size up at the shop when the time came. It worked out fairly well for me over the years. We have two 'recycled' sports places around here also and they have decent stuff, but it does get snagged quickly. Need to befriend the owner and then have them keep an eye out for you.

It's not just bikes that are pricey, it's everything that we do for fun. Kids are not cheap, but the investment pays off more than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'll try and remember to PM you. Are you in SLC?
    Yes, and it would be funny if this works out two years later. No obligation, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Kids are not cheap, but the investment pays off more than any other.
    How many times do they have to mow the lawn and clean the house before it pays off? Or do they have to buy you a house eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

I'll put myself next in line when it's time to sell. I am so local that I think I saw you hauling your kid via the bungie this past summer at Trailside. Mini Shredalot may be about ready for a pedal bike by the time you're ready to sell the 16".

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I am so local that I think I saw you hauling your kid via the bungie this past summer at Trailside.
    Heh, awesome. He's already asked multiple times when the snow will be melted out up there.

If you don't have kids or don't have kids as active as Sam, you just won't get it.
    This is by far one of THE best investments (if you even want to call it that cause of the price) we've made for him. He logs more time on a bike out on the trails and at the indoor bike park than many adults.
    It's pretty effing sweet!
    If any of you are in SLC and have kids that ride, he always loves to ride with new friends!
    He's loving it so far...

you sketchy character, you