Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Likely to buy the 3 speed Owl when it is back in stock. Then selling the 16" Spawn Banshee.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Just bought my 5 year old a Hedgehog last week, he's loving it. So much faster and better climbing than his little gecko. Gecko now goes to the 3 yo, who is just about ready for it. Another month or 2 on the strider and we'll be cruising.

Hedgehog and Gecko

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180405_182732.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	231764

Happy boy on new bike day, despite it being 38° outside!!

Name:  Screenshot_20180409-161537.png
Views: 416
Size:  379.2 KB

I'll jump on the Hedgehog stoke bandwagon

My kid is a decent rider, but Dan's kid just puts her to shame!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

FYI for anyone with a Cleary Owl, they apparently will be selling a conversion kit to turn the single speed into a 3 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Likely to buy the 3 speed Owl when it is back in stock. Then selling the 16" Spawn Banshee.
    I’m curious how the Banshee compares with the Hedgehog. Did you compare when you were looking?

Quote Originally Posted by PowderPig View Post
    I’m curious how the Banshee compares with the Hedgehog. Did you compare when you were looking?
    Not really. We were just looking for a good kids 16" bike. Concretejungle had a used banshee, and that was all she wrote.

It's been a great bike, kiddo took a huge leap pretty much immediately once she got on it.

Cleary Bikes - Awesome Kid's Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.
    I'm not having kids.
    My kid is doing just fine on shitty, heavy, hand me down bikes. He pedals that heavy thing up hills. And now he has strong legs.

Yes, kids are expensive, but you don’t always have to the best, newest, coolest stuff to make them happy.

We just skied 22K yesterday on very well loved skis, in old hand me down boots, with hand me down ski pants and coat. We did purchase the Costco long underwear for $7.99. It can be done.

OTOH, my bike is a piece of shit, so we are not really a serious biking family. If I started to MTB again, I’d likely want to upgrade him to something better than what he is on (some fixed gear Speacialized paper weight).
    Last edited by Ottime; 04-15-2018 at 12:59 PM.

I may be selling my kids 3 year old hedgehog. I put on a new stem and wider bars and also put on beefier tires. would come with original bars and tires as well. normal wear and tear for a kids bike I guess. price police help me out...

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    My kid is doing just fine on shitty, heavy, hand me down bikes. He pedals that heavy thing up hills. And now he has strong legs.

Yes, kids are expensive, but you don’t always have to the best, newest, coolest stuff to make them happy.

We just skied 22K yesterday on very well loved skis, in old hand me down boots, with hand me down ski pants and coat. We did purchase the Costco long underwear for $7.99. It can be done.

OTOH, my bike is a piece of shit, so we are not really a serious biking family. If I started to MTB again, I’d likely want to upgrade him to something better than what he is on (some fixed gear Speacialized paper weight).
    FTR, I don't buy the best coolest bikes for my kid because she wants them, or "needs" them. I buy her these bikes because even though she doesn't realize it, her riding vastly improves on the new bike, and consequently her enjoyment of riding increases. I buy these fancy expensive bikes for me, really, because as her father I want her to love riding and I want her to be a kick ass bike rider. And the bike makes a hudge difference. I know it does because I saw her riding take a monster leap when she went from a 16" Trek boat anchor to a 16" Spawn Banshee.

I'm not trying to convince you that what you are doing with your kid is wrong (because it isn't), and there are plenty of things my daughter uses that are old and not blingy (skis and boots, for ex). But for some things and some kids, the top notch gear is worth the expense, and I feel like bikes are for my kiddo.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    I may be selling my kids 3 year old hedgehog. I put on a new stem and wider bars and also put on beefier tires. would come with original bars and tires as well. normal wear and tear for a kids bike I guess. price police help me out...
    It retails for $350 and you have some extras. If you're the original owner and it's not very old, I'd say $225, maybe $200? Maybe less if you want the quick sale?

I recently bought a well-maintained Gecko from a friendly acquaintance for $160 and considered it a good deal.

Sold ours a year ago for $240. Upgrades included wide riser bars, Blackjacks, Spawn cranks and a couple different chainrings. It had been crashed a lot and the paint showed it.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-24-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Just bought a used Starfish for my 1.5yo. I wanted to get him something to learn brakes from the start and am hoping to build a backyard pump track to get him hooked. Even nice kids bikes are cheap compared to my bikes, the starfish cost me the same as a pair of mtb tires that last 1 season, if I can get him hooked now my life will be better for the next 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    FTR, I don't buy the best coolest bikes for my kid because she wants them, or "needs" them. I buy her these bikes because even though she doesn't realize it, her riding vastly improves on the new bike, and consequently her enjoyment of riding increases. I buy these fancy expensive bikes for me, really, because as her father I want her to love riding and I want her to be a kick ass bike rider. And the bike makes a hudge difference. I know it does because I saw her riding take a monster leap when she went from a 16" Trek boat anchor to a 16" Spawn Banshee.

I'm not trying to convince you that what you are doing with your kid is wrong (because it isn't), and there are plenty of things my daughter uses that are old and not blingy (skis and boots, for ex). But for some things and some kids, the top notch gear is worth the expense, and I feel like bikes are for my kiddo.
    This is my reasoning for the big price tag as well. 100% spot on

Also, unless you're buying a brand new Lil Shredder or MeekBoyz, the price of most of these "expensive" kids bikes is pretty fair compared to their full size equivalents. A Spawn Yama Jama 20/24 costs $1,100, but considering the low production volume on the frame and kids-specific components they use (which is basically everything but the brakes and drivetrain) it's very reasonably priced. An equivalent quality adult hardtail from a major brand will run you $1200-1500+ easily, and their economies of scale dwarf those of a company like Spawn.

Selling my son's deep blue Hedgehog. He was riding within 10 minutes of sitting on the thing. Then, he set it down and said he wanted his scooter....then he outgrew it. It's got less than a dozen rides on it, and basically looks new.

Asking $225 + ship/fees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cleary.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	244017
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'll take it. PM sent.