Dynafit Mercury men's vs women's model

hi Dynanerds,

Does anyone know if there is a real difference between the men's and women's Mercury, except for the fit? Especially the German marketing texts say that the women's Mercury shell is not as tall as men's, however a quick side-by-side comparison showed this not to be true (shells seem to be just as tall, no difference with liners either).

Similarly the marketing text states that the women's version is softer. Anyone know if this true or not? If true then what did Dynafit change compared to men's Mercury to get softer flex? I'm interested b/c the women's version fits me well and can get it much cheaper.

If the woman's boot fits who cares, go ahead and take your money out of your purse and buy it!

I don't care except if the women's version is much softer, and that is what I'm trying to find out. Carpet testing was inconclusive also because I haven't been able to find men's model in my size in the local shops. I might've been wrong about cuff height also and seems like women's boot may not be as tall (usually they aren't) http://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/2...rcury-tf-women
    Probably just end up ordering both men's and women's and return one pair.

I was curious about the mens vs womens model of mercury, cuz they look exactly the same & the price of boot molds is fucking expensive I am betting outside of cosmetics or the liner (which sucks anyhow) there is no difference in the shells which is all I really care about

you could probably look inside both shells at the casting markings and figure out pretty quick if there is any difference
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've compared the two in a 25.5 and the cuff height is the same. Couldn't get me foot in them to compare the flex. Good chance the only difference is the pink accents.

Yes, I also compared the cuff heights and they looked exactly the same. I began wondering because the bullshit marketing text that I saw said that height is different.

Anyway, on Dynafit site the description for both men's and women's boots is exactly the same. Women's boots are marked to weigh 140g less but I think this is because of smaller shell size weighed for women's model.

I supose you could try measuring the 2 boots for a comparo but 12-13 season Mercury were introduced as unisex, the vulcan is still unisex and its the same mould as the Mercury so what are the chances Dynafit is using the exact same mold for the vulcan, mens, womens mercury ?

Altho they could vary the plastic or sft I think most of the stiffness comes from the design which uses those stops in the cuff and clamping the cuff to that green pylon in the back for that hitting a brick wall feeling

Ditto on hitting the brick wall :/ The two new AT boots in the under 2kg category that seem to fit me OK are the Mercury and the Scarpa Freedom. I can't get over the fact how much better the forward flex of the Freedom feels. But they're still really heavy compared to the Mercury. Oh well...

You can free up the initial flex of the Mercury by cutting down the removable tongue, cutting a "V" in said tongue, and placing the power strap in back of both tongues. I do all three.

My problem is not really with the initial flex but hitting the stoppers shortly afterwards, after which the boot doesn't flex at all anymore. I think your suggested mods probably won't really help with that? Anyway I would have to ski the boots first to really say if this really bothers me or not...

There is a mod involving grinding those stops/replacing the tongue with one out of a flexon or SFT or try just leaving the tongue out completely if you want a softer Mercury, they weight 61grams each so you save a little weight too

IME the power strap will pull thru those screws on the cuff on the second day anyhow so at the hill I thread the PS thru those loops on the tongue but mostly I take the PS off the boot for touring cuz its one less thing to deal with on transitions

I'm well into season 3 on the Mercury, IME its a great shell with a shitty liner , the way its worked out with binding choice for my Lotus 120's I seem to be on them > 80 % of the time at the hill and its enough boot