Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Scarpa F1 Evo thread

Got out on my yesterday and was pretty impressed, boot tours very well and was stiffer then I imagined it would be. I need to fiddle around with the cam tongue to get it just right. Tronic worked well. Only gripe is getting it on/off my boot.

Lee Lau's review here:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...g-boot-2014-15

I noticed the boots he reviewed didn't have the 4th rivet installed, which was added to stiffen the boot.

Making boot easier to get on:
    http://www.scarpa.com/DownloadPdf;js...ourceId=737366
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Thanks for starting this up. I haven't tried on the boot yet, but am psyched for the opportunity if/when my TLT5Ps pass on.

Biggest problem so far is lack of automatic crampon compatibility? Any comment on this?

First day on mine today. Pretty happy: a bit stiffer than anticipated, great ski (movement shift) control with the ball of the foot, overall pretty close to tlt6 p. In few days I'll ski them side by side with tlt6p for the ultimate test. No problem with my non-automatic grivel crampons.

Very interested in your impressions verbier. I was so surprised by the stiffness and control

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Thanks for starting this up. I haven't tried on the boot yet, but am psyched for the opportunity if/when my TLT5Ps pass on.

Biggest problem so far is lack of automatic crampon compatibility? Any comment on this?

My camp xlc's fit ok, the front is pretty snug, the posts on the heel are wider then the boot heel, so it might need a little bending there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141227_161328.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	988.6 KB 
ID:	161945

I was really looking at these. I like scarpas and good deal for this category. ended up with a deal on tlt6. interested to hear comparison as well. I was surprised how well the tlt6 skis

I know I'm probably the only one, but I really wish they made this boot with a narrower last. The tiny tlt5 last was spot on for my narrow feet.

Anyone else have to go up one shell size? I've been a Scarpa 26.0 since 1995 - but I couldn't get the 26.0 on my foot even w/ the mod.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Anyone else have to go up one shell size? I've been a Scarpa 26.0 since 1995 - but I couldn't get the 26.0 on my foot even w/ the mod.
    Interesting... I imagine you've skied the alien 1.0? How would you compare the fit?

I appreciate the fit of the F1 and was able to size down from my TLT 5 because of the extra width. Not sure about the Tronic deal yet, more testing needed.

Forgot to add that having the liners molded made a bigger difference for me getting the boot off and on than slitting the rubber gusset.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    I was tempted to ask massimo a up, but after two days of skiing am pretty happy with my classic 27. Almost do not need to close the boa, it seems just molded over my nasty foot

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Interesting... I imagine you've skied the alien 1.0? How would you compare the fit?
    Alien = no tongue, totally different story imvho

Different story on the ankle, but how about fit differences in the forefoot area?

I haven't tried the Alien. I only dabble with training heels so I don't get lots of time with the different options.

I also didn't want to mold the liners and have them still be too tight. The 26.0's I'm used to have about 1.2 finger "comfy race" shell fit. The F1 Evo was significantly smaller, and since this will be more of a "long days of touring" boot I don't really need foot-crushing tightness. At least by upsizing I will be back at my old BSL and I won't have to re-mount my (now busted) Dynafits.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Well, day 3 on my F1's and the tronic system was giving me issue. Kept switching back to walk mode while I was skiing. I had to stop, pull the boot out of the binding and step back in. Heel gap was set correct. Not sure if the pins on the binding were flexing out of the rear tech insert or powder was getting pushed up into the mechanism. Speed radicals mounted on Voile V8's. I'll have to play with it and see if I can reproduce at home tonight.
    Last edited by sfotex; 12-30-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Boot looks cool but the auto ski mode sounded to me at first read like a solution with no problem.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Played with my boots/skis on the workbench tonight. As far as I can tell the tronic system has some serious problems.
    So I was meadow skipping some nice bottomless Wasatch powder today, all 140 lbs of me, and I kept going into walk mode. When I tried to get of the bindings to 'reset' the boot the toe piece was locked up. I thought maybe all that powder was packed under the toe piece.
    Anyways, if I put the boot in the ski, flip the ski upside down and apply a little pressure to the bottom (~20 lbs, not that much) the pins slide out of the tech binding enough to cause the tronic switch to slide down (even with no pressure on the cuff of boot). When the ski returns to normal flex the tronic flap jams the pins back and puts a ton of forward pressure on the toe piece, making it almost impossible to get out of the binding.

Boot in binding with 5mm allen wrench inserted to show proper heel gap.

Name:	20141230_195121.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	498.9 KB 
ID:	162018

Boot with flap jammed against pins....

Name:	20141230_195201.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	732.9 KB 
ID:	162020
    Last edited by sfotex; 01-01-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    apply a little pressure to the bottom

Bottom of the ski?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Bottom of the ski?
    Yeah, bottom of the ski (opposite of how it flexes when you stand on it) . I think the rebound of the ski when I was unloading it in the powder is causing this issue.

^^^^That caused pre-release on earlier Dynafits with shorter pins when coupled with soft skis.

Brutal design! The mechanism disengages while still within the dynamic range of the dynafit system? Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Brutal design! The mechanism disengages while still within the dynamic range of the dynafit system? Wtf?
    Not only that but it locks the whole boot into the binding. If it momentarily went to walk mode but recovered, that might be acceptable, but to go into permalock in the walk mode....

So it's pretty easy to reproduce on my Voile V8's with radical speeds and my Movement Shifts with Plum Guides. I would say the shifts are pretty middle of the road on stiffness... not a noodle.

^^^ Sounds like it would be a great boot if they just made you operate a switch to engage ski mode... who'd have thunk it?

Bummer.

Ouch! That's a pretty significant issue. Thanks for letting us know, it will be interesting if Scarpa is able to recover from this and find a fix that doesn't kill the entire tronic system.