Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 111
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I'm 173cm/77kg and spent yesterday on the 184. It felt super nimble and maybe a bit short (my regular ski is a 186 Bodacious). I say get the 189 for sure at your size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    So yep, if you are not a total punter, then definitely go for 189cm. Unless you spin and billygoat all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    fyi, the 2016 black crows corvus (pink and grey) is a very interesting ski, much more easy and forgiving than previous corvus, but still very stable and powerful. One of the best in class, more allround than the atris imvho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimty View Post
    189 for you I think SF. I'm 76kg / 5ft 10 and ski the 184.
    Well I guess it's unanimous then Thanks.

    Verbier; Thanks, I'll have a look at them, but I'm pretty much set on a "playful" ski. Tail rocker is a must as I'll ski a lot of skied out trees on these. The shortlist was Atris, Bacons and Automatic 109s, and I guess the Corvus would overlap with the Wrens

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denver/BoCo
    Posts
    194
    I just ordered the 189 as an inbounds everyday ski. I'm 6.1 185lbs and would have ordered it in a mid 190cm if they made it. Skis shorter than it is (not to the extent of a JJ or something with a full twin rocker) but it's easy enough to ski you shouldn't have an issue with the larger one. I've been testing it out with different mounting points using the demo track too and if you're worried about the length try mounting a couple cm up from recommended.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    35
    Liked the corvus but I want something more playful so I am headed in the Atris direction. I'm the same size and looking at this ski as touring setup, feel like a 189 ski is a lot to swing around. What are your thoughts on the 184?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    279
    Bentgate has free demo at WP Sunday which includes Black Crow skis.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by edwin33 View Post
    I just ordered the 189 as an inbounds everyday ski. I'm 6.1 185lbs and would have ordered it in a mid 190cm if they made it. Skis shorter than it is (not to the extent of a JJ or something with a full twin rocker) but it's easy enough to ski you shouldn't have an issue with the larger one. I've been testing it out with different mounting points using the demo track too and if you're worried about the length try mounting a couple cm up from recommended.
    Wondering if Black Crows, and Atris specifically measure shorter than stated length, or true to length? For instance, what is the tip to tail on the 189 Atris?

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,007
    The 189 is marked as a 189.9, dunno about actual length, skis short though. Quick, edges well, not very stable, especially in transitions. If you like a soul7 but want something 'cooler' with a thin base, these might be for you?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The 189 is marked as a 189.9, dunno about actual length, skis short though. Quick, edges well, not very stable, especially in transitions. If you like a soul7 but want something 'cooler' with a thin base, these might be for you?
    Ha - I'm a 45 yr. old married guy - so "something 'cooler'" is not a priority (unless it's cooler than by 10 or 12 year old boys - then ok). Just looking to replace current old 3 quiver w/ new, so need a lot of help since it's making 3 interrelated decisions all at once. Don't like sound of thin bases like you mentioned - which is why I stayed away from DPS. Thought this might be a fill in for wider ski instead of moving up to 115+ range. I'm thinking 180 Blizzard Brahma or 179 Salomon X-Drive for icy days, on3p Renegade for all around days in Western US, and was looking at 190 Moment Bibby Pro, 192 Line Supernatural 115 for anything soft. The Rossignol 7 series has seemed way to soft/light for me at my height and weight.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,007
    Quote Originally Posted by MWL View Post
    I'm thinking
    180 Blizzard Brahma
    on3p (W)renegade
    192 Line Supernatural 115
    I don't think the Atris is what you're looking for.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SLicCity
    Posts
    306
    I've got a pair. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. These things are super stable for me and carve really well. If you are looking for a ski to let out the tail sometimes this would not be that ski. You are locked into a turn pretty much. Great in crud, I've also had them in 2ft of powder and they worked really well.
    Some of the skis I have or had that are in the same width range... DPS 112RP, Salomon Rocker 2 108, K2 Shredittor 112, Icelantic Nomad RKR, Lib tech NAS Freeride, and Folsom Primary.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1

    made in

    learned black crows are either made in the atomic or élan factories - austria or slovenia.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Skinner Box
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Quick, edges well, not very stable, especially in transitions.
    I really dont know what you mean?
    The ski does not like to be run flat on hard/grippy snow due to the sidecut, but stating "not very stable" is very, very wierd.


    Quote Originally Posted by sandflea View Post
    I've got a pair. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. These things are super stable for me and carve really well. If you are looking for a ski to let out the tail sometimes this would not be that ski. You are locked into a turn pretty much. Great in crud, I've also had them in 2ft of powder and they worked really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandflea View Post
    I've got a pair. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. These things are super stable for me and carve really well. If you are looking for a ski to let out the tail sometimes this would not be that ski. You are locked into a turn pretty much. Great in crud, I've also had them in 2ft of powder and they worked really well.
    Detune the tail. The stock edges are a bit too sharp, better to detune the tail (15-20cm)as with any 5 point skis. Makes quite a difference.

    The floggings will continue until morale improves.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SLicCity
    Posts
    306
    Good advice, I'll detune the tail a bit, I'm loving these things right now... only had a few days on them so far.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    CH
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by mark33 View Post
    learned black crows are either made in the atomic or élan factories - austria or slovenia.
    North Africa or Italy maybe I think they are now splitting their production. Was at Blossom prior. Not sure but maybe here soon with a bunch of others. http://www.meditec.com.tn/products.php
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    North Africa or Italy maybe I think they are now splitting their production. Was at Blossom prior. Not sure but maybe here soon with a bunch of others. http://www.meditec.com.tn/products.php
    Yeah, they're split now. My wife's 2016 Navis Freebird's are from [Movement's factory?] Tunisia. I've seen other BC pairs from Slovenia/Austria

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,007
    Ones I have seen are Atomic and Élan

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    13
    Anyone played with mount points on these. For pure free ride my 184's recommended line strikes me as pretty centered and I'm inclined to go 0.5 or so cms back . . .?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SLicCity
    Posts
    306
    I've got my 189.9s on the line. For me, I wouldn't go back any further. I have gone a measly 1/2 cm forward though.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Skinner Box
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by crusoe View Post
    Anyone played with mount points on these. For pure free ride my 184's recommended line strikes me as pretty centered and I'm inclined to go 0.5 or so cms back . . .?
    With more traditional skis I did go back up to 2-3cm. Didnt notice any differencies if I went back less than 1cm. But, havent done that with the new rockered skis. I have mounted my skis (Atris & Nocta) with inserts (for 2 different bindings) and have had to move +/- 0.5cm on few pairs. Havent noticed any difference how they ski.
    I could be tempted going back max 2-3cm with pow specific ski like Nocta but dont know if I would do that with Atris.

    The floggings will continue until morale improves.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    358
    Anyone have a pair of Atris 184s they want to get rid of?

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    358
    So i found a decent deal on Black Crows and thinking of pulling the trigger. My current daily driver is a 186cm first year Cochise. I'm looking for something with similar chop and hardpack performance but wouldnt mind going to something a little more playful...I am getting old so a full on charger is probably not what I need. That being said the Cochise has been my favorite ski ever. I am thinking of the 184 Atris but this thread makes me think the Corvis my be a better fit? Any suggestions? I am looking at 2016 versions. Thanks!

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    1,234
    Thinking it is finally time to try the Corvus. The specs and reviews all seem spot on to what I am seeking. I love the old Mantra and when I found a review calling it a bigger Mantra I was stoked. That review was for the "old" Corvus which I guess has changed a bit this year, with the general theme of being a little easier ride.

    Has anyone tried both? Are the changes an improvement or is it "watered down"?

    Also, does anyone know of any good deals out there?
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

    "I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    verbier, milan, isla de pascua
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Thinking it is finally time to try the Corvus. The specs and reviews all seem spot on to what I am seeking. I love the old Mantra and when I found a review calling it a bigger Mantra I was stoked. That review was for the "old" Corvus which I guess has changed a bit this year, with the general theme of being a little easier ride.

    Has anyone tried both? Are the changes an improvement or is it "watered down"?

    Also, does anyone know of any good deals out there?
    tried both, and old and new mantra. the new corvus is by far the one I like most. easy and fun as the new mantra, but solid and a knife as the old mantra. Said that, I'm old and lazy and the old corvus was too much for me.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    tried both, and old and new mantra. the new corvus is by far the one I like most. easy and fun as the new mantra, but solid and a knife as the old mantra. Said that, I'm old and lazy and the old corvus was too much for me.
    Verb,

    Thanks a bunch. That's the exactly the information I was looking for since I personally do not care for the new Mantra. I wanted to make sure the Corvus wasn't watered down in the same way. I "respect" the new Mantra in an "as what it is" kind of way, but I find it no longer feels "solid" or stable.

    Final question since you've skied both. Any comment on the length and mounting point between the Mantra and Corvus? Both relatively similar in the 184/183.3 sizing? I've never seen an actual measurement of a Corvus posted anywhere.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

    "I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    verbier, milan, isla de pascua
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Verb,

    Thanks a bunch. That's the exactly the information I was looking for since I personally do not care for the new Mantra. I wanted to make sure the Corvus wasn't watered down in the same way. I "respect" the new Mantra in an "as what it is" kind of way, but I find it no longer feels "solid" or stable.

    Final question since you've skied both. Any comment on the length and mounting point between the Mantra and Corvus? Both relatively similar in the 184/183.3 sizing? I've never seen an actual measurement of a Corvus posted anywhere.
    I ski the 183 corvus, which seems more or less of that actual size... certainly it does not ski any shorter or shorter than the 185 mantra...

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eurotrashville
    Posts
    12
    The Corvus might be what I'm looking for too. I'm 180 cm 80 kg and ski the Atris in 189. I really like it in pow and softer groomers but the ice hold is, well, as expected not brilliant. Is the Corvus more or less as good in pow? I assume it rails way better on groomers and thus might be better suited for me when hanging out with el familia.(?)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •