Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    I'm going to resurrect this thread, because #almostwinter

Mainly, I'm curious if this is a stouter Rocker2 108. Yes, I can hear you snicker, but I rather enjoyed the R2 108; easy to ski, nimble, quick to turn, great in in a few inches of soft snow. For those day-of storm skiing days, they were great. Most of all they were fun and they didn't have ridiculous clown shoe rocker. However, as often mentioned; they were soft and terrible in hard conditions.

The Atris, on paper, seems to be a good analogue, if not more capable and a bit beefier. It still maintains some fun with its 5-point shape. Am I on track with my thinking?

It would slot in above my ON3P Viciks and maybe between my ON3P Wrenegades as the more-fun, easier to ski option when I don't want to ski the mountain all angry and whatnot. Not really a big pow day ski - I have Billy Goats and Bibbys for that - maybe it becomes a good travel option ski when unsure of conditions?

What say you?

/sweetblogbro

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Mainly, I'm curious if this is a stouter Rocker2 108. Yes, I can hear you snicker, but I rather enjoyed the R2 108; easy to ski, nimble, quick to turn, great in in a few inches of soft snow. For those day-of storm skiing days, they were great. Most of all they were fun and they didn't have ridiculous clown shoe rocker. However, as often mentioned; they were soft and terrible in hard conditions.

The Atris, on paper, seems to be a good analogue, if not more capable and a bit beefier. It still maintains some fun with its 5-point shape. Am I on track with my thinking?
    I agree with your R2 assessment and have actually 'explained' the atris to people as "solly rocker2 108 with völkl explosive superpowers"
    Youre spot on.
    imho.
    fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    I agree with your R2 assessment and have actually 'explained' the atris to people as "solly rocker2 108 with völkl explosive superpowers"
    Youre spot on.
    imho.
    fwiw.
    Good call - the OG gotamas were my go-to for a long time and I've found the Atris to be something of a playful version of them that still has substance (ie. Explosiv veins).

I skied the Rocker2's some years ago; I see the similarities and I would agree that the Atris is a bit more chargy and more versatile when pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Youre spot on.
    imho.
    fwiw.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Good call - the OG gotamas were my go-to for a long time and I've found the Atris to be something of a playful version of them that still has substance (ie. Explosiv veins).

I skied the Rocker2's some years ago; I see the similarities and I would agree that the Atris is a bit more chargy and more versatile when pushed.
    I like both of these assessments. Thanks.

The R2 108 was always so easy to ski and mega fun... when the snow was soft and the substrate was soft. Any other time, not so much. Couldn't push it, either. Or really get after it on the groomers if they were firm.

Seems like this years skis is not that much different that last years model. Perhaps a close-out can be had...

Ok, thoughts please.

Currently skiing on the last year of the german made mantras, in 184. I'm 174cm, 74kg (aka 5'8, 163/164 lbs), strong legs and like to charge, which the (old) mantra is perfect for. Rides like a fat GS ski. Really love it for that. It's serviceable in powder but it's not great, sits heavy and not enough tip rocker. Ski mainly french alps and also scotland. Mantra is enough ski for whatever powder we have in scotland, but to be honest it's hard work on a euro powder day. The playfulness of the atris sounds like just what I need; that and the ability to charge a bit as you can't guarantee you won't spend a week riding mainly piste and trying to scout out the last remaining bits of interesting stuff around the hill. I was looking at 184s.

On the BC website its says:

170-175cm | 5'6" - 5'7" Relaxed: 178cm, Agressive: 184cm
    175-180cm | 5'7" - 5'9" Relaxed: 184cm, Agressive: 189cm

Now I have been second guessing because they're saying 5'7 to 5'9, aggressive skier, go for 189. People here say they ski short, so I started to think should I get the 189? It's a big whack taller than me, but their site is what is making me wonder.

But then I looked again and I think BC got their height in feet a little mixed up. I'm 5'8 , and 174cm, which brings me into first category. Anyone skied these and have any thoughts?

And last of all, have they changed since last year? Gliss shop have last year's going for £374.

Quote Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
    Anyone skied these and have any thoughts? And last of all, have they changed since last year? Gliss shop have last year's going for £374.
    I bet Black Crows spent less time putting together those guidelines than you've spent agonizing between 184 and 189. I'm your size, maybe 75 kg, and thought the 184 was perfect. If you have plenty of money, get the 189 for comp days, too.

They changed the ski last season (longer 20 m radius), they just changed the topsheet this year.

I’d get the 184s if I were you but maybe get both in case you change your mind after brexit.

#fuckbrexit but yeah good shout.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I bet Black Crows spent less time putting together those guidelines than you've spent agonizing between 184 and 189.
    Most certainly. Funnier yet, maybe they think that is American’s ski out skis a whole size longer. Or think we just get a lot more snow than they do. I highly doubt this after hearing their Blister Gear Review podcast and seeing their segment on Warren Miller this year.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Today I've tried my atris 17-18 184cm.
    I'd say it's unexpectedly nice. Really impressed.
    I was able to ski them only on piste, at the end of the day, obviously in shitty snow conditions (soft snow bumbs and icy places). Feels really solid, curved perfectly and doesn't matter what is under your skis.
    Didn't trust reviews that it's fat GS skies, but looks like it's true :-)
    Bindins mounted -1 cm from recomended line.

Considering the 184 Atris as a replacement for my first choice for a 50/50 ski; the 181 QST 106 (gone for the year)