Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

About Cocktails and Flavor Additives

A few weeks back I was out for a birthday dinner and had a nice drink at the bar of the restaurant we were at. It had a different name, but it was basically what I would call a Kentucky Sidecar. Swapping a Rye Whiskey (Rock & Rye in this case) for the Cognac, but instead of cutting into it with Cointreau, the idea was to stick to fruit to bring in other flavors. So basically, a high-end Bourbon / Whiskey, then a few muddled lemon and orange wedges, and a small splash of simple syrup. Shaken with ice, strained, served straight-up.

It was one of the best drinks I've had in a while. And yeah, I drink Whiskey all the time, but sometimes it's nice to have a proper cocktail. I think I'm into the idea of avoiding flavored liquors whenever possible if a simple fruit exchange is possible and substituting with more of the core booze that you like.

Next up - Margarita sans the Cointreau, a bit more Tequila to make up the difference, orange / lemon wedges as a substitute, keep the splash of agave nectar.

Anyone else into this approach?

Why would I want less alcohol in my drink? ;-)

Follow a similar prescription; using fresh ingredients in lieu of sugar liqueurs. But quality liqueurs are on another level. See Luxardo, Creme de violette, St. Germain, etc.

Had a drink called a Mexico City Margarita (probably one of many names). Tequila, lime, and confectioners sugar. Tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    Why would I want less alcohol in my drink? ;-)
    Well of course there isn't. In this case you're getting more Whiskey instead of Cointreau, just using fruits for the flavor additive.

Yeah, I know, just kidding around, thus the ";-)"

Of course, I was also assuming you would use more of liquor A if you're not adding any B, because otherwise that would just be stupid.

Still, I *like* a margarita made with tequila, cointreau, roses lime juice and agave nectar. Not really too sure I'd like it any better with orange zest or juice or whatever...

Alcohol is a pretty effective preservative. So if you don't have access to a whole bouquet of fresh elderflowers or a bushel of Curacao oranges then grab an artisan liquor that does a good job of capturing those flavors at their peak.

And yeah, for me a margarita contains premium silver tequila, freshly squoze lime juice, and just enough agave nectar to take the edge off without interfering with that tartness of the lime and the spiciness of the tequila. No other amendments needed.

But that's kind of the fun of mixology isn't it? As long as the drink does it's work then you can monkey around with the ingredients and proportions until you can no longer sit upright.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    Still, I *like* a margarita made with tequila, cointreau, roses lime juice and agave nectar. Not really too sure I'd like it any better with orange zest or juice or whatever...
    Rose's AND Agave Nectar? You really like it sweet, huh?

I like it with Reposado, Cointreau, Key Lime juice and a little simple syrup.

What you had was essentially a Whisky Sour with a splash of OJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post

I'm with you Tipp, I only do Tequila, Cointreau/GM, and Lime Juice. Simple, strong, delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I'm with you Tipp, I only do Tequila, Cointreau/GM, and Lime Juice. Simple, strong, delicious.
    3-2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I firmly stick with Cointreau ... never understood the use of GM in a margarita - doesn't make much sense having a brandy-like liquor in that drink. But different strokes, so...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Next up - Margarita sans the Cointreau, a bit more Tequila to make up the difference, orange / lemon wedges as a substitute, keep the splash of agave nectar.

Anyone else into this approach?
    I've done it - very nice. I'm not sure it's technically a Margarita, but there's no point in quibbling over semantics.

Like Irul stated, Patrón Citronge is a fine substitute for Cointreau and costs less to boot.

Like Irul stated, Patrón Citronge is a fine substitute for Cointreau and costs less to boot.
    I think it's a little less sweet, which I like.

Being a sipper, i'm not really a big fan of the 'overt' taste of the alcohol chain...at least not as provided by such hi-test liqours like vodka, gin, whiskey, brandy, bourbon,etc etc. I just don't like the taste at all. So a Manhattan, no matter how expertly made, tastes like disgusting jet-fuel to me...as does a martini. The mixed drinks I DO like, have the aspect of alcohol discreetly covered. e.g. - a Grasshopper; Bloody Mary; Margarita (especially frozen, thus CERTAINLY taking me out of the subset of the true connoisseur!!); and when I'm feeling pedestrian, a Screwdriver.

But while I don't often partake, I AM interested in the etymology of the word "cocktail" and thus asked Siri's much less bubble-headed sister, who came up with this possibility:

"Virginian Dregs.
    In nineteenth century America, a cock was a tap, while its tail was the last, muddy dregs of the tap. Colonel Carter, of Culpepper Court House, Virginia, was served the tail at his local tavern. Seeing it as a disgrace, he threw it to the floor and said from then on he would only drink "cock tails" of his own design. His concoction was a mix of gin, lemon peel, bitters and sugar, and is possibly the ancestor of modern cocktails."
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Being a sipper, i'm not really a big fan of the 'overt' taste of the alcohol chain...at least not as provided by such hi-test liqours like vodka, gin, whiskey, brandy, bourbon,etc etc. I just don't like the taste at all. So a Manhattan, no matter how expertly made, tastes like disgusting jet-fuel to me...as does a martini. The mixed drinks I DO like, have the aspect of alcohol discreetly covered. e.g. - a Grasshopper; Bloody Mary; Margarita (especially frozen, thus CERTAINLY taking me out of the subset of the true connoisseur!!); and when I'm feeling pedestrian, a Screwdriver.
    Did it hurt much when they removed your manhood?

Quick outpatient procedure...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Did it hurt much when they removed your manhood?
    So, your manhood is somehow related to alcohol? I see.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

+3 on the Citronage, cheaper and delicious. I also just use tequila, preferably silver (I like Eduardo, really good mid range marg tequila, much better sippers out there but this great for margy's) Citronage and fresh squeezed lime juice. I thought a whiskey sour was just whiskey and sour?? Sounds more old fashion esq to me minus the bitters and cherries?I'm a whiskey fan but not so much into mixing it, so I'm not much help there, but I randomly heard this tonight: fig infused whiskey, frozen blackberries and maple syrup. Whoever was drinkin it infused the figs on their own... sounded kinda good
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

My marg is usually Milagro Silver, fresh lime, simple syrup, Citronage. 3-2-1-1, to taste.

That rye mixture sounds good J. I'll have to try it at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I guess so... to my taste Rose's is pretty damned sour despite what it says on the label. The way I make them they're still a lot more tart than what you'll get at most restaurants, which isn't saying much I guess.

3 shots of Sauza Hornitos or Repasada (so?), 1.5 shots of Cointreau, the juice of 1 freshly squeezed lime. Shake thoroughly with lots of ice. Serve in a large marg glass filled with ice. First had this at a Mexican joint in Glenwood Springs, CO about 15 years ago. I have never had a better Margarita.

If you are planning a little romance definately limit your friend to 2 drinks. Back in my single days I had 3 special friends go for a third. Each time I ended up holding hair out of the toilet as they prayed to the porcelain god.

I prefer Mad Dog margaritas at the Chili Parlor Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    So, your manhood is somehow related to alcohol? I see.
    Guess I touched a nerve. I recommend sipping a wine cooler and re-reading your favorite thesaurus entries to un-rustle your jimmies.

Ooooooh, I like the ones from Boone's Farm!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!