Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Driving in wet snow - What tires works best?

Had BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO Tires in the past they worked well, currently running Goodyear Wranglers.

Just had an interesting drive up and down the pass with this wet snow.
    My tires and rig don't care for it. I have a very short wheel base.

So any recommendations on tires? My trusted mechanic likes the Bridgestone Dualer AT Tires.

This has never ever been discussed in the TECH TALK (JONG) section of this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

yep never discussed nor are there a million threads when you type in snow tires. Give it a whirl. See what you find..

If you don't have anything good to say or anything to contribute why are you running your mouth? Oh wait it's TGR and you will looks cool calling someone a Jong and add in a smiley face. Instead of hmmm...

I don't know maybe actually helping someone that asked a question? Amazing to think that's how these boards could work!! Until then less stoke, more shit

BFG All terrains are a bit scary in slush and ice. I run the Blizzak DM V1 in the winter on both of 4x4s. Huge improvement.

I heard highway tires on a CRV are best.

A straightforward snow tire...your blizzaks, winterforce, etc is always going to be best for on-road ice and snow. I've been loving the hankook iPike W409 on our work van so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I heard highway tires on a CRV are best.
    This.

And if very short wheelbase means Jeep Wrangler, it's going to be scary no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If you didn't find this in your search at tech talk, you might be onto something new
    something they'd love to hash out at tech talk

Actual snow tires.

Tall tread blocks with big gaps and a size or two narrower than stock would work best in those types of conditions.

I swear by Hankook Ice Bears in the winter. Great braking and grip when driving. Can't go wrong.

I was running up to 6 pass laps a week last year between skiing targhee and staying with the GF in Jackson. I drive an element (short wheelbase) and ran Hankook Dynapro AT's. The only time I was nervous was wet slushy stuff like today. This year I'm running General Altimax Artic winters without studs and its a world of difference. The toaster is locked on the road an handles wet snow/slush no problem. I imagine any dedicated snow would make a big difference over your current AT.

Driving in wet snow - What tires works best?

I've got the hankook ipike on my forester for 4y (winter only) now and they're still killing it. Today was wet greasy snow all over and they're still holding their own after many miles.....confident grip in all conditions for spirited driving. would recommend.

Michelin ltx m/s are amazing year round tires on my grand Cherokee in rainy snowy Seattle/ cascades. spend some time with reviews page on tirerack.com

Tirerack.com has the most extensive tests of the leading snow tires. Also a lot on the technology of the latest snows. Any of the top five will be superior.

Spend $5 on a month of online Consumerreports. You're welcome Jong

A little more info on truck and tire size would help. Suggestions of car tires won't help much for a truck/SUV.

BFG ATs suck ass. In the snow, off road, on road, towing, empty. They are overall pretty crappy tires. I've run them, I'll never go back. I'm running the Revos on my CTD and am liking them so far. Reviews seem to be mixed though. Not sure how much of that can be attributed to P vs LT tires. I'm running LTs but only have a couple snow storms under my belt with them. Previously I ran the Firestone destination AT and thought they were great in all types of snow.

I've always run MTs on my Jeep so I don't have any suggestions for a light SWB vehicle. There's no reason a wrangler (assuming that's what you have) shouldn't do well just because of the SWB though.

uhhhh a snow tire?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Nokian Hakkas made a massive difference on my Defender 110.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    uhhhh a snow tire?
    Not needed if skilled enough or you are in a crv

I swear by winterforce - had them on my 2wd duramax and motored through everything last winter.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    yep never discussed nor are there a million threads when you type in snow tires. Give it a whirl. See what you find..

If you don't have anything good to say or anything to contribute why are you running your mouth? Oh wait it's TGR and you will looks cool calling someone a Jong and add in a smiley face. Instead of hmmm...

I don't know maybe actually helping someone that asked a question? Amazing to think that's how these boards could work!! Until then less stoke, more shit
    You are such a fucking cunt. Anybody with half a clue would ignore your sorry stupid ass.

doughboyshredder Guest
    It's more fun to tell someone you are ignoring them, than it is to actually ignore them.

I am amazed this guy is still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Nokian Hakkas made a massive difference on my Defender 110.
    If you don't want to shell out for Hakkas, choose Nokian's "second" brand, Nordman. The are essentially prior versions of the Hakka.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...okian-WR-tires

It's funny, but one uplifting thing about media310 is that some marketing departments actually seem to pay him.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Problem with driving in wet snow is that it does no good to have your tire firmly gripping the snow when said snow is sliding on the surface below. (Same thing happens skiing glop on crust). Obviously in those conditions you want the deepest tread possible, which might not be the best solution for all around winter driving. There's always the option of slowing down and making no fast moves. People seem to think snow tires and 4wd means they can drive like it's dry pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There's always the option of slowing down and making no fast moves. People seem to think snow tires and 4wd means they can drive like it's dry pavement.
    ^^^This. Slow the fuck down. No tire is designed for 'snow' that is fully saturated. There isn't a tire made that won't hydroplane on an inch or two of water given enough speed relative to vehicle weight.